What's For Dinner Wednesday 17th July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were going to have a rerun of last night's meal and have fresh corn-on-the-cob instead of hash brown potatoes, but...

Glenn's daughter has invited us to her home for a shrimp boil. This didn't require any thought as to what to do.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I got a fresh sockeye salmon at the market and we are grilling that. Sides will probably be grilled asparagus salad and rice.

We got out of bed about 4:30 this morning to be sure to be dockside at 5:45. The boat left at about 6:00.

Out to a spot the captain knows about and in went the trolling lines. The first hit was very quick and netted 2 rock fish. There are 12 people on the boat and there is a 2 per person limit. It only took about 80 minutes to hit the limit (we did have to toss some back as they weren't keepers).

Once back at the dock the mate on board cleaned and fileted all the fish then divvied it all up. Each person took home about 1KG of filets.

Not sure what we are having for dinner tonight..... to go with the grilled rock fish. :)

Not sure what we are having for dinner tonight..... to go with the grilled rock fish. :)
Doesn't get any better than that....

I took out a couple of chickens a couple of days ago because I thought we were having company. My son had car troubles so he couldn't make it so we were stuck with two whole thawed fairly big birdies for two of us. Monday night was fried, last night was madras curry, and the last half is going to be cacciatore tonight.....I think I will be done with chicken for a few days, anyway...

I have a small pork roast in the crockpot, happily cooking along with a good portion of sauerkraut (extra caraway seed). Had just shy of a half bottle of beer in the 'fridge so I used it as my liquid. I'll peel a couple potatoes to smash because I love the kraut on top of them, and I'll make a salad so our dinner doesn't look so "blond". Problem with a crockpot for me? I'm getting hungrier and hungrier the longer I smell it cooking. :glare:

Frank, I'm envious.

:LOL: Rock!

CG, love the CP.

We have a couple ears of corn, and a packet of potatoes I'd made to grill yesterday, it's hotter today, so no grilling. And some homegrown green beans. So microwave meatless Wednesday it is!

I got a fresh sockeye salmon at the market and we are grilling that. Sides will probably be grilled asparagus salad and rice.
Plans changed. On the way out of town to pick up our gluten free bread we were "this close" to being rear-ended by a speeding car while we were almost stopped. He slammed on his E-brake, swerved and instead went into the back end of a flat bed tow truck (that had a car on it). I saw the whole thing in the passenger mirror, very scary. No one was badly hurt, but the young man who caused it was pretty shaken up....so were we!

So, we got to the bakery late and had them make up sandwiches so we could eat on the way back as TB has to go to work soon.

We will have the salmon tomorrow.

I'm grilling some Chinese sausage we got at a local shop. Along side we'll have a pasta salad.

Lettuce and taco salad. layered Z to A -- zukes to avocado -- with all kinds of stuff in between. The frig has a generous inventory today.

Plans changed. On the way out of town to pick up our gluten free bread we were "this close" to being rear-ended by a speeding car while we were almost stopped. He slammed on his E-brake, swerved and instead went into the back end of a flat bed tow truck (that had a car on it). I saw the whole thing in the passenger mirror, very scary. No one was badly hurt, but the young man who caused it was pretty shaken up....so were we!

So, we got to the bakery late and had them make up sandwiches so we could eat on the way back as TB has to go to work soon.

Yikes!!

Yes, salmon tomorrow!

Wow, that was a close run thing LPB! Glad you are okay (and nobody else suffered any major injuries). Not surprised it ruined your plans!

I had the smoked tuna salad I mentioned yesterday, along with anything else I could find in the fridge - so it was lettuce, cooked beetroot, boiled egg, boiled Charlotte potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes. I made a dressing with red wine vinegar, EVOO, grated garlic, sugar and finely chopped mint and parsley.

Oh and I made some blueberry butterfly cakes as well. (They are to share with colleagues tomorrow though - so I only had one - for quality control purposes, naturally!) ;)

Wow, that was a close run thing LPB! Glad you are okay (and nobody else suffered any major injuries). Not surprised it ruined your plans!

I had the smoked tuna salad I mentioned yesterday, along with anything else I could find in the fridge - so it was lettuce, cooked beetroot, boiled egg, boiled Charlotte potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes. I made a dressing with red wine vinegar, EVOO, grated garlic, sugar and finely chopped mint and parsley.

Oh and I made some blueberry butterfly cakes as well. (They are to share with colleagues tomorrow though - so I only had one - for quality control purposes, naturally!) ;)

Sounds lovely Katy :)

I'm glad to hear that you are alright, albeit shaken. Thank goodness he remembered the emergency brake. I bet lots of folks forget it exists.

Too hot to cook and I can't trust that the power won't go out while I was cooking, so we ordered from Bofinger, a local "Southern style BBQ" resto. They make some really good ribs. Stirling ordered a sausage sandwich with fries, and I ordered beef ribs with bean salad.

Gotta run, the food is here. :yum::)

Tonight I made an awesome dinner. Flanken cut short ribs cooked for hours with onions, garlic, new potatoes, butter beans, topped with roasted peppers. . Used the broth it cooked in to cook cous cous. Yummy

Too hot to cook and I can't trust that the power won't go out while I was cooking, so we ordered from Bofinger, a local "Southern style BBQ" resto. They make some really good ribs. Stirling ordered a sausage sandwich with fries, and I ordered beef ribs with bean salad.

Gotta run, the food is here. :yum::)
Oh yeah, that was yummy and I have two ribs left for snacking. We were out of beer and wine, so we had Margaritas with supper. <hick>

Tonight is Orange Chicken with lots of spices. Basmati rice and asparagus on the side.

It's Wednesday - dinner out with friends night. It's also Restaurant Week in Norfolk, so we went to a wonderful restaurant that has consistently great food. I had pork/shrimp spring rolls with two sauces, seasoned grilled mahi mahi with corn/poblano risotto, and chocolate chess pie with Chantilly cream. So yummy. I'm going to steal that risotto idea.

Back
Top Bottom