What's For Dinner, Wednesday 19th December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight we are having spaghetti bolognese and we also add sundried tomatoes and roasted capsicums :)

How do you do your curried mince Snip?

I brown some finely chopped onion, add indian curry paste, some onion and garlic powder, a dash of cinnamon, some paprika, Fry a few minutes, add mince and brown, add a dash of w/sauce, add a can of chopped tomatoes and season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook for about 15 mins more. Serve with basmati that has been cooked with a bit of turmeric to make it yellow and top with finely sliced bananas and peach chutney.

Sometimes I add some diced carrots, potatoes and peas. Not tonight though.

Last edited:
Yeah, that curried beef sounds great.
I'm going to grill some ground turkey burgers stuffed with sauteed red onions and BBQ sauce.

Curry must be the theme today. I'm making Thai green curry. I made the paste this summer, with lime basil, peanuts,green chillies, lots of herbs. I'll add a can of coconut milk and some chicken broth, chicken and veggies.

Well I had big plans but they involved a trip to the store and since there is several inches of white around outside and no sign of stopping, I am housebound. Will even have to get TB to clean the walk before I can go for the mail.

So, I took out some ground turkey thigh meat and will be having what Pac is having minus the BBQ sauce. I will probably have a salad with it. Mine will be bunless unless I want to use my thin rice cakes :LOL:

I have some shoulder lamb chops I'm going to use as a base for a stew with string beans and other stuff I haven't decided on yet.

Well I had big plans but they involved a trip to the store and since there is several inches of white around outside and no sign of stopping, I am housebound. Will even have to get TB to clean the walk before I can go for the mail.

So, I took out some ground turkey thigh meat and will be having what Pac is having minus the BBQ sauce. I will probably have a salad with it. Mine will be bunless unless I want to use my thin rice cakes :LOL:

Oh, dear, and it is headed our way!

Yeah, that curried beef sounds great.
I'm going to grill some ground turkey burgers stuffed with sauteed red onions and BBQ sauce.

Thanks Pacman :) You're gonna laugh but I don't think I've actually eaten turkey before. Perhaps but I don't know what it tastes like. Turkey isn't very popular in SA. Is it nice?

Curry must be the theme today. I'm making Thai green curry. I made the paste this summer, with lime basil, peanuts,green chillies, lots of herbs. I'll add a can of coconut milk and some chicken broth, chicken and veggies.

Yum, love thai green curry :yum:

Thanks Pacman :) You're gonna laugh but I don't think I've actually eaten turkey before. Perhaps but I don't know what it tastes like. Turkey isn't very popular in SA. Is it nice?

Ground turkey is kind of plain. That's why I mix seasoning salt with it and stuff the burgers with sauce and onions. It's pretty much like chicken though, just a much larger bird.

Snip, your curry sounds so yummy - and a surprise with the banana! yummm

Turkey is one of my favorites, and I roast many throughout the year. The ones I do are generally 22-24 pounds each time. They are much more flavorful than a chicken, I think, and make a wonderful stock after they're roasted. The best part is how much cooked meat you have for leftovers afterward :)

I agree with Pacanis, as the ground isn't all that fab... but if you make a mince out of it yourself, it's much better, because you can add in whatever you'd like in the mince.

As for my dinner tonight, I am so lucky! One of my co-workers makes tamales each Christmas, and I've just gotten some - yay! These are chicken filled and she uses just a small amount of masa compared to the meat.

I'll make a fresh tomatillo/green onion/cilantro/lemon juice sauce to top them, and will be serving them alongside a mixed greens salad, zucchini sauteed with garlic oil, and fresh navel oranges.

Well my ground turkey was NOT good so that plan was nixed in a hurry. But I made a huge pot of onion soup. TB had a bison smokie with his and I had a tsatsiki covered rice cake. The soup was great for a throw-together and without french bread croutons and cheese!

By the way, I put relish, fine chopped red onion, red chili flakes, salt, pepper and any fresh herbs I have going with my ground turkey. It makes great meatballs, burgers, you name it!

Taxlady - isn't it nice to have those rotisseries available when you're out of time?!
I usually use just part of the meat with dinner, and then save the good meat and boil the carcass with a few carrots, green onions, garlic and spices for a couple hours. Then I pass it through cheesecloth and freeze the stock for the next time I need to make soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom