What's for dinner, Wednesday, May 26, 2021?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Oysters, NOLA type with a compound butter, with rice pilaf. Winn Dixie had 36 count oysters on sale for $15 and they looked pretty good, so we bought em!

Picked up a nice piece of swordfish this afternoon. I plan to grill it. SO will make us salads to go with the fish.

I'm not sure what *else* is for dinner yet, but DH stopped by the grocery store today and apparently we are having grilled corn on the cob [emoji16] Last year I practically had to fight him to have a different starchy veg for a change [emoji1787] I do try to make our meals somewhat healthy!

Barely cooked oysters, and I mean just barely, just enough for them to start plumping, with a compound butter of garlic, green onions, creole seasoning, thyme, a touch of worchestershire, some lemon juice, salt and pepper. Served on a bed of rice pilaf to soak up any overflows. We first had these oysters in the French Market restaurant in downtown NOLA nearly 20 years ago.

Attachments

• 2021-05-26 19.11.39.jpg
    2021-05-26 19.11.39.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 63
Picked up a nice piece of swordfish this afternoon. I plan to grill it. SO will make us salads to go with the fish.

Severe thunderstorm warnings for our area so I scratched the 'swordfish-on-the-grill' idea.

We had picked up a rot chip from Costco this afternoon so we settled for chicken sandwiches and salads.

First hottish day of the year, so I made dinner salads. A bed of mixed greens and the usual salad veggies topped with lots of stuff, some must-goes (prociutto, grilled chicken, grape tomatoes) along with other goodies (shrimp, mozz cheese, deviled eggs).
IMG_20210526_205936550.jpg

I had some creminis I had to use up, so I made up a delicious porridge like mix of these in the Instant Pot, with some barley, chana dal, frozen Thai red beans, and some frozen cooked turkey. I started by sautéing some chopped onion in a little olive oil, adding 6 minced cloves of garlic and a couple tablespoons of gochujang, plus some rosemary and sage minced up (2/3 added here, 1/3 at the end), to sauté for the last two minutes. Then I added the water, salt, and barley, and cooked for 12 minutes, let the pressure reduce naturally, then removed the lid.

While cooking the barley, I soaked 3/4 c chana dal in 3 c water. Then I cleaned, cut, and cooked the mushrooms - steamed with a little water in a wok, then sautéed them in a little oil. This way, little oil is absorbed, as with fresh mushrooms.

The cooked mushrooms and the cooked turkey were added to the barley, along with the drained chana dal covered again, then set to pressure cook for 8 minutes. After letting the pressure reduce naturally, and removing the lid, I corrected the seasoning, then I stirred a couple spoonfuls of red lentil flour (something that I make to thicken things like this with), stirred the thawed beans in, along with the end of the rosemary and sage, and let it sit for 7 or 8 minutes, in the warm mode.
A porridge like dish, with mushrooms, barley, chana dal, and frozen beans and turkey. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Made Gnugi with DIL. Neither of us had made it before, we both think we like it better than Gnocchi.

Placed shrimp in some dishes and chicken in others (not everyone like shrimp! don't know what planet they come from!). actually would have preferred the proteins to have been immersed in the sauce along with the gnugi but...

Was very vert good, with spinach and garlic bread. Kids said it was a repeat!
oops and topped with parm.

Attachments

• 20210526_181816.jpg
    20210526_181816.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210526_181906.jpg
    20210526_181906.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 38
DH stopped at the grocery store on his way home yesterday and picked up the first fresh corn of the year. I made tacos with boneless skinless chicken thighs, Penzeys Arizona Dreaming and salt and a little lime juice. Made Mexican street corn sauce with mayo, sour cream, queso fresco, more Arizona Dreaming, lime and cilantro. Grilled the chicken and corn, applied the sauce and toppings and dug in. Mmmm.
20210526_203936~2.jpg

Tonights dinner: Soda can chicken made with diet Dr. Pepper, southwest BBQ beans, country gravy, Caesar Salad and whole wheat buns.

Back
Top Bottom