What's for Sunday dinner, 11-5-2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We ate at church tonight. The youth sponsored a chili cook off as a fundraiser. Got to sample lots of good chili! The kids raised over $300. Not bad for a little church! They had nice crusty bread and salads with it. It was all very nice.

I am doing wings, too. I am trying to replicate some really tasty wings I had at Hector's in Kirkland WA lat week.

Pictures at eleven... maybe...

CD

Attachments

• 23360869_10154914708522401_1687534508_n.jpg
    23360869_10154914708522401_1687534508_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 133
Cavatelli pasta with meatballs, Braciole and gravy I made yesterday. Topped with toasted seasoned bread crumbs and fresh grated R & P cheeses.

cavatelli_110517_IMG_3403.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled a bag of mystery meat out of the freezer to thaw yesterday. I wasn't sure what it was, other than it looked like either beef or lamb. Turns out it's a couple of beef tenderloin "tails" (the tapered ends of the tenderloin). I suspect I portioned a whole tenderloin sometime ago, and threw the two end scraps in the freezer without labeling them.

They're happily swimming in the sous vide at the moment.
Rock, K-Girl, S&P, MsM... some tasty looking dinners there.

My "scrap meat" turned out pretty tasty, too.

O4isUEP.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, I just used a sous vide for the first time this past week. I brought it up to 125 degrees F before searing on the grill for 5 minutes, half on each side for color. My steaks were more done than yours. What was the temperature to get your steaks to be that doneness? If you don't mind me asking.

med, photos please? I'd love to see how you guys do the wings in that round-thingy...

LB, I'm making Lasagne too!

I've already got that cutie 1/2 sized casserole pan prepped and waiting in the `fridge with parchment paper over it as well as a sheet of tin foil.
Tomato product bothers my stomach, but I can tolerate a small amount every so often. And like you and yours, we've had a hankering for it.

View attachment 28329
[file photo-full sized Lasagne]

I use browned Sweet Italian Sausage, Ricotta-Parm-Mozz Cheese combo and then I've been cheating lately and using Trader Joe's Marinara rather than make my own... just as good and much easier ;)

View attachment 28330

some bread and vino and you're good man!

004.JPG

Oh My GAWD! I'm just STUFFED!!

What is it about certain foods that make you eat WAY more than you know you should?! GEEZ! That was so ONO (delicious in Hawaiian ;)) !!
And we only ate one third of the casserole, more than enough to share with neighbors ...
DH: HEH! What did you say? We're NOT sharing this dish!
Me: Yes dear
:LOL:

Steve, I just used a sous vide for the first time this past week. I brought it up to 125 degrees F before searing on the grill for 5 minutes, half on each side for color. My steaks were more done than yours. What was the temperature to get your steaks to be that doneness? If you don't mind me asking.
For tenderloin I go for 130 in the sous vide. Then I sear them for about 30 seconds per side in a real hot carbon steel pan. I'm wondering if 5 minutes on the grill may have been too long for your steaks. They don't really need any more than a hot, quick sear to put some color on them.

Wow! You all outdid yourselves with not only the dinner pics, but descriptions! :ohmy: I have so many cravings now after reading this thread...:yum:

It was a cold and windy Sunday today, and I spent almost all day indoors. Got a lot of little unfinished projects done around the house, and almost all of my Christmas shopping done online. :)

Breakfast for dinner here this afternoon - ham, asparagus and mushroom omelet, a slice of toasted rye, and an apple.

I am doing wings, too. I am trying to replicate some really tasty wings I had at Hector's in Kirkland WA lat week.

Pictures at eleven... maybe...

CD

Okay, it's not eleven, yet, but here is a picture.

I didn't quite replicate the Hector's wings, but I'm a giant step closer. I think I can do it with one more try. However, these were pretty darn good. The flavors were from smoked paprika, chipotle peppers, and honey, for a sweet, savory and hot taste.

Served with some double fried french fries -- crispy outside and fluffy inside.

A satisfying meal, all-in-all.

CD

Attachments

• WingsFries.jpg
    WingsFries.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
We smoked a chuck roast today, then sliced it and warmed it up in Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce. I tested a recipe for Mexican corn salad, based on the street corn you find there, from America's Test Kitchen. Sorry, I can't share the recipe, but it was good. I also had a few homemade pickles on the side.
1105171920a.jpg

All of this delicious food! And we ate at...Denny's. Thankfully, it was a good Denny's. I had a ham and cheese omelet; Himself had their Superbird sandwich.

Roch, ques ca c'est "Fondant Potatoes"?

Uncle Bob, it looks like you got to have two cheat days in a row? Good on you!

med, photos please? I'd love to see how you guys do the wings in that round-thingy...

We only bought one package of wings which wasn't enough to fill the basket. When I first started the rotisserie, they just kept falling to the bottom as the basket rotated. I had tucked the wing tips under the drumettes. My first attempt to correct the issue was to untuck the tips. That didn't work, so I stuffed the rest of the basket with HD foil. That corrected the problem.

I set the Weber up with a 2 zone fire using charcoal baskets. One chimney full of briquettes was enough to fill both baskets. I placed a half split of pecan on top of each basket and started out with the lid on to get some smoke. After about an hour with the lid on, I removed it for the rest of the cook. They came out great, but no pics:(

We had boneless pork chops marinated in Italian dressing, baked potatoes, and green beans tossed in olive oil, seasoned with sea salt and a bit of black pepper, and roasted in the toaster oven.

Back
Top Bottom