What's for Supper, 1-29?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanilla Bean

Master Chef
I have a craving for meatloaf, mashed and/or roasted potatoes and green bean casserole (homemade, not with soup).

I know it's very early, but what might be on your menu?

friends coming over for dinner and card playing.....am serving a small roasted turkey breast from Omaha Steaks, twas a Christmas gift along with other foods from that company, garlicked mashed potatoes, maybe one of the veggie dishes from Omaha, chocolate pudding, and a taste of the peppermint, dark chocolate shavings ice cream I made yesterday, with fudge sauce;)...these are the friends who gave me the milk and cream this week..

Hi Vanilla Bean,
I'm kinda leaning towards Hash Brown Soup, but not sure what to have with it.
I would love a BLT along side that, but that might be too much...maybe a grilled cheese? If a sandwich is too much, maybe just a nice salad. I have never heard of hash brown soup. Do you have a recipe?

friends coming over for dinner and card playing.....am serving a small roasted turkey breast from Omaha Steaks, twas a Christmas gift along with other foods from that company, garlicked mashed potatoes, maybe one of the veggie dishes from Omaha, chocolate pudding, and a taste of the peppermint, dark chocolate shavings ice cream I made yesterday, with fudge sauce;)...these are the friends who gave me the milk and cream this week..
My parents always used to get together with another couple once a week for card playing. I wish my SO liked doing that. :neutral:

I have never had Omaha steaks, but I hear they are wonderful! Your dinner sounds great! :)

I'm just stimulating my brain cells with coffee at the moment. No activity yet. I know that dinner will either feature something beef (if I get up off the couch and do my grocery shopping) or chicken breast (cuz I think thats about all thats left in the house!). I know it won't be cacciatore if I do the chicken. Likely something lemony, or herby.

I'm just stimulating my brain cells with coffee at the moment. No activity yet. I know that dinner will either feature something beef (if I get up off the couch and do my grocery shopping) or chicken breast (cuz I think thats about all thats left in the house!). I know it won't be cacciatore if I do the chicken. Likely something lemony, or herby.
how about lemony herby? it seems like the coffee has begun stimulating the brain cells. :LOL:

Well i have strip steaks thawing so I have 2 plans - steak and eggs or steak, stuffed mushrooms, beef rice/roni or potatoes, carrots and maybe biscuits or corn bread (maybe we rarely have bread with meals).

breakfast was a chicken cup o' noodles.

what do you have palnned for dinner?

Selkie inspired me to do philly cheesesteaks. I'm now making my grocery list and I'm going shopping! I'm going to try to remember to take pix. I love seeing the ones you post but I'm a dork and usually scarf down supper so fast I forget to take pix!

Selkie inspired me to do philly cheesesteaks. I'm now making my grocery list and I'm going shopping! I'm going to try to remember to take pix. I love seeing the ones you post but I'm a dork and usually scarf down supper so fast I forget to take pix!
thank you alix. my famliy stand around with their hands on their hips complaining but I cook they can wait!! LOL

I have a pack of chicken breasts in the fridge, so I'll do something with those. We had taters with dinner last night, so tonight will be rice or noodles. Hanover brand "Latin Blend" for the veg.

Using up the last of the pork roast tongiht. I stopped by the store and picked up a bag a sauerkraut to go with it and I'll bake some potatoes and probably make some peas for the veg.

Using up the last of the pork roast tongiht. I stopped by the store and picked up a bag a sauerkraut to go with it and I'll bake some potatoes and probably make some peas for the veg.

Oh, Dave, you have just given me a wonderful idea for dinner! I am adding corned beef and sauerkraut to my grocery list and will make a corned beef and Swiss panini for Dad and I will have a RUEBEN! I haven't had one in soo long. My two men (including my German husband) can't stand sauerkraut!

And since I am picking up fryer oil, french fries will be the side!

Oh, Dave, you have just given me a wonderful idea for dinner! I am adding corned beef and sauerkraut to my grocery list and will make a corned beef and Swiss panini for Dad and I will have a RUEBEN! I haven't had one in soo long. My two men (including my German husband) can't stand sauerkraut!

And since I am picking up fryer oil, french fries will be the side!

I LOVE Rubens!!!! I have not had one in a LONG time. Glad I helped.

Question: what oil do you deep fry you fried in? I have always used Crisco in my electric fry pan for frying bread, dough or cookies but in anticipation of my deep fryer I though I'd ask since I'm hoping to be making fried and wings.

I made baked macaroni and cheese last night, I still have a huge amount left over. I guess thats what we'll have. I might chop up a couple hot dogs in it...when the kids were little they called that "macaweenie and cheese"

I made baked macaroni and cheese last night, I still have a huge amount left over. I guess thats what we'll have. I might chop up a couple hot dogs in it...when the kids were little they called that "macaweenie and cheese"
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

Question: what oil do you deep fry you fried in? I have always used Crisco in my electric fry pan for frying bread, dough or cookies but in anticipation of my deep fryer I though I'd ask since I'm hoping to be making fried and wings.

I use a "fryer oil" I get at a nearby restaurant supply store where I get items for my business as well. It is a blend of shortening and canola and I find it does a great job. I am not sure if it is 50/50, but I think that would be a close guess. I have been using it for home and catering use in my fryer for years. I do wings, fries, chicken, fish, wontons (all sorts of varieties), etc and this mix is very versatile for all of them. So when do you get your fryer? Have you decided which brand/model yet?

I just use whatever vegetable oil is on sale. Still, it gets expensive. My buddy uses the restaurant supply near his house for larger quantities and it costs him less per quart. Also, I'm not bashful about straining it and re-using it a few times.

I just use whatever vegetable oil is on sale. Still, it gets expensive. My buddy uses the restaurant supply near his house for larger quantities and it costs him less per quart. Also, I'm not bashful about straining it and re-using it a few times.

That's a given! Though I do change it as it gets dark or I have used it for fish and am doing something with a delicate flavour.

Back
Top Bottom