What's for (USA Thanksgiving) Dinner Thursday 11/24/2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Did I miss todays dinner thead?

Dinner got done early and I am AMAZED!!

Roast turkey, mashed sweet potato & acorn squash (brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, orange juice, pumpkin pie spice, and walnuts), mashed red & Yukon potato (cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and chives), sautéed mushrooms, stuffing, steamed Brussels sprout & carrots, steamed asparagus, cranberry/tangerine relish and homemade turkey gravy.

img_1075594_0_cb6551862b7de6db302dccedbb9d456b.jpg

Dessert will be in a couple hours.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

Quite a plate. Ours just came out of the oven. Will be having mostly turkey, stuffing, cranberries, some pumpkin puree and Cuvee Blanc. The bird is a 16 lb stuffed Tom that we roasted for 4 hr 25 min at 330*F. We're letting it sit for 25 minutes before I begin hacking it up.
Wonderful day back at you MS Mofet.

Last edited:

Roast turkey, mashed sweet potato & acorn squash (brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, orange juice, pumpkin pie spice, and walnuts), mashed red & Yukon potato (cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and chives), sautéed mushrooms, stuffing, steamed Brussels sprout & carrots, steamed asparagus, cranberry/tangerine relish and homemade turkey gravy.

I'm pretty sure you could squeeze a couple extra ingredients onto that plate.

:LOL:

Lottsa goodies on there, MSM. Very nice.

Thank you.

My hub cleaned that plate and had seconds on turkey and some of my mashed taters and gravy. LOL

Thanksgiving Dinner - Oven roasted turkey breast with turkey gravy, sage dressing, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, whipped sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie and Cavit Lunetta Prosecco

No pics yet. Porcini Mushroom Meatloaf with Porcini gravy, Dressing, Fresh Cranberry Sauce, Pumpkin Custard, Sweet Potatoes for Shrek. I'm having some tangerines and apple slices.

Thanksgiving dinner here. Roasted turkey breast, which I brined for a few hours. Since stuffing is my favorite part of the thanksgiving meal and when I say "stuffing" I mean "stuffing" I actually stuffed the neck pouch, there was lots of skin to pull over, I just skewered it shut!
We will also have mashed potatoes, gravy, sautéd brussels sprouts and and our family tradition broccoli/cauliflower casserole. Alas! :-( I forgot to buy a yam or two so none for me today. DH won't eat them so it's no loss to him. Didn't want to make buns as we still have lots of the buns I made the other day for our Philly cheese steak sandwiches. We will just warm them, it's just the two of us so no biggie. Oh, homemade cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert.

We had:

Roast duck.
Mashed potatoes.
Cranberry sauce (with a hint of orange).
Creamed peas.

Peach pie with 'nilla ice cream will be in a bit.

I'll be eating dinner later.
So far all I'm sure of is pumpkin pie (homemade is somebody's kitchen) and COOL WHIP!

Roasted turkey
mashed potato
praline yams
stuffing
potato rolls
gravy
homemade cranberry pear relish

pecan and pumpkin pie (yes I ate both!)

I realized this morning that I forgot to add the last gallon of water to the brine, OOPS! It came out just fine! Very tasty!

16 lb. turkey cooked in just 2 hour 15 minutes, a little faster than expected!

Roast turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potato
Pilaf
Butternut squash
Cranberry sauce
Gravy
Apple cider

...and later

Pecan pie and
Vanilla ice cream

Since I cooked my turkey last saturday, and ate up all the stuffing and gravy over the next couple of days, I made another batch of ground sausage stuffing, enough for two casserole dishes and another, bigger batch of turkey gravy. I'm stuffed with stuffing!

Malted milk balls for dessert.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm very thankful for all of you here at DC being a big part of my life.

img_1075666_0_cb6551862b7de6db302dccedbb9d456b.jpg

That plate is like a Norman Rockwell painting! :yum:

I am very thankful for my full Thanksgiving plate!

image-3261093210.jpg

image-2733813149.jpg

I was a kittle worried about getting enough drippings from the turkey breast to make gravy, so I placed the turkey breast on a bed of onions carrots, leeks and celery to roast, when it came time to make the gravy. I whirred those roasted veggies in the food processor Heated them with some chicken stock and thickened for gravy only problem was that the gravy was pretty salty presumably from the turkey juices ( I guess maybe I didn't rinse the brine off well enough). I ended up adding alot more stock to reduce the saltiness. It turned out fine.
I hope that everyone has a lovely meal today whether you were celebrating Thanksgiving or not. I am so grateful for my DC family!

Last edited:
MsMofet your dinner looks like the classic holiday plate many of us enjoyed today. Just scrumptious. Too much? As long as the gravy isn't dripping off the side of one's plate, then it's safe to say it is just right, a little bit of everything, heheh.

I only had one helping today. I Finally learned after many years, this too is the Polite thing to do. For the sake of my tummy.

Now, hold onto your hats !! We had Real cranberries for dinner. Not the jellied canned kind. This is a Huge progression forward in our family.

The other fun thing this year -- a niece made her first pie ever. It was a perfect combination tart and sweet.

It's also good to visit with family, some who we only see at holidays. All in all, it was a good day.

We had:

Roast duck.
Mashed potatoes.
Cranberry sauce (with a hint of orange).
Creamed peas.

Peach pie with 'nilla ice cream will be in a bit.

And it was delicious! BUT, we do have a funny story to share. We both love liver pate, but the duck liver was too small to fuss with, so Frank simmered it as a treat for our two kitties for Thanksgiving.

After dinner, after the liver had plenty time to cool, he diced it up and served it to the kitties. The old, fat kitty looked up at him with huge eyes and sniffed the plate. Looked up at him again, and then gobbled it! She then smacked her lips for a good 20 minutes.

The young, not-fat kitty also sniffed it. She looked up at him with huge eyes and sniffed again. Then she turned and took her paw to "bury" it as she would something in a litter box. She then stayed as far from it as she could and nibbled her kibble.

Obviously the younger generation: She will eat Fast Food French fries. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
We had roast turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, homemade cranberry sauce (made with orange juice instead of water), "can shaped" jellied cranberry sauce (love it!), green bean casserole, fruit salad, rolls, black and green olives, and sweet pickles.

We will have pie (pumpkin and peach-blueberry) in a bit.

Nancy made most of the meal. I made the cranberry sauce and fruit salad. My son-in-law Steve's mom made the green bean casserole and sweet potatoes.

It was all very good! :cool:

homemade cranberry pear relish

mmm This sounds good, would you mind sharing your recipe? Ours was very good (with some OJ, orange rind and a splash of vanilla) but I'm always looking for new ways to try old favorites.

We had the usual:
A brined turkey (moist and succulent, a huge success!)
Mashed Yukon potatoes
Roasted sweet potatoes
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Fresh sesame green beans
Homemade whole wheat rolls
Pumpkin pie

The turkey carcass is in the crock pot so I'll have stock ready to freeze in the morning to make soup with in a couple weeks.

In 'omage to your day over here we had turkey breast schnitzel, mashed pots, zucchini and lentils fried in garlic butter and a corn bread muffin, pud was apple pie made with our own bramleys served with lashings of birds custard.:)

Back
Top Bottom