What's going on with our American diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
keltin said:
One of the biggest problems is eating habits. Most people, even the ones that aren’t obese, eat too quickly. If everyone slowed down in the eating, they’d taste more, enjoy the food more, and eat less. Also, as it’s been said, you should never eat for time or tongue......always eat for the tummy. If you only eat when you are truly hungry, and then eat slowly, you can better control your weight. But a lot of people have gotten into the habit if eating because “it’s time”.

This seems like a resonable argument as a factor.

May I just say I don't know why some of you seem to think I'm trying to dismiss personal culpability. I haven't said that at all! I do think that there are factors that make some groups more succeptable to becoming overweight and/or obese than others.

Keltins post is almost the same thing my nutritionist said to me. Eat slower and your stomach will tell you when its full. She also told me to not eat more than you can fit with your two hands cupped together. Also, ever since I have made my portions smaller I have had less digestive issues.

Chipotle Tom said:
I did a research project as an undergraduate geography student studying the spatial distribution of supermarkets in Austin, Texas. This is a pretty good web site too:

Home Page

The web site is for the UK, but it contains several studies. I'll do some research and come back to post links. You're right though, the OP should have given a link.

A. Wrong country.
B. Their "study" on how obesity is related to income is in the UK only.
C. The city of Austin is not a sociologic or demographic model for the entire country.

Chipotle Tom said:
May I just say I don't know why some of you seem to think I'm trying to dismiss personal culpability. I haven't said that at all! I do think that there are factors that make some groups more succeptable to becoming overweight and/or obese than others.

What factors? I don't think I've gotten a good picture of what your logic is? Can you give some more details?

That is, if you say it is income related, WHY? If it has to do with education, then WHY?

Last edited:
Chipotle Tom said:
This seems like a resonable argument as a factor.

Your argument is that income and education plays a large part in obesity. My argument towards that statement is that it is not as big of an influence as you may think. My cited reference supports that.

ironchef said:
Your argument is that income and education plays a large part in obesity. My argument towards that statement is that it is not as big of an influence as you may think. My cited reference supports that.

You cited income and yes, it appears that income is becoming less of a factor. I haven't seen one regarding education, but my guess is that it would follow the trend of the income study. Oh well, I guess that's what I get for not questioning "conventional wisdom." :)

Still waiting on the Original Poster to cite the stats given.

Chipotle Tom said:
That's an interesting study. It would be interesting to see one that compares differing education levels.

It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. Educated, does not correlate to intelligence. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.

Last edited:
ironchef said:
It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.

Heh....it could even be argued that going to college leads to obesity! Look at the junk food they eat in college and in the dorms! :)

ironchef said:
It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.

I'm speaking from a statistics standpoint, which deals with sample groups. You seem to be stuck on individuals, which don't matter as much when you're looking at statistics samples.

As to what I consider "educated", it doesn't matter. Whoever does the study determines that, not me. I don't want to pick a fight, and I'm getting quite frustrated with your tone, so I don't think I'm going to respond to this thread any more. It seems to have turned into a threat to talk about how "nobody wants to take responsiblity for themselves anymore", and I'm really not interested in having that sort of discussion.

Chipotle Tom said:
I'm speaking from a statistics standpoint, which deals with sample groups. You seem to be stuck on individuals, which don't matter as much when you're looking at statistics samples.

As to what I consider "educated", it doesn't matter. Whoever does the study determines that, not me. I don't want to pick a fight, and I'm getting quite frustrated with your tone, so I don't think I'm going to respond to this thread any more. It seems to have turned into a threat to talk about how "nobody wants to take responsiblity for themselves anymore", and I'm really not interested in having that sort of discussion.

All I've asked you to do was to provide pertinent information to support your argument and standpoint based on your said statistics, which you haven't done.

And the fact of the matter is, whether you want to believe it or not, people don't want to take responsibility for their actions. The question of this thread was, "What's going on with our American diet?", and responsibility and choice is directly related to that. A diet, and what you choose to include in it, is a cognitive decision.

ironchef said:
And the fact of the matter is, whether you want to believe it or not, people don't want to take responsibility for their actions.
OK I think the horse is dead IC. You can stop beating it now.
As Chipotle Tom has said multiple times he does not disagree with this point.

There is not just one reason as to why people are fat. There are many many many reasons. And what is a reason for once person is not a reason for another. One person might be fat because they eat whatever they want and stuff their face like a pig. Another person might be fat because they have a 2nd grade education and never learned that a big mac is not a healthy food choice even if they leave the lettuce and tomato on it. Someone else might be fat because they are dirt poor and can make their money stretch much more by getting a happy meal from the McDonalds that they can walk to instead of buying a bus pass to get to the supermarket to buy a chicken and veggies and then spending money to turn on the stove to cook it and more money to use the water to wash the dishes etc.

My 2 cents.

People are dumb, Americans esp. in the south are just in the dark to many many things, lest of which is eating.

Commercial food is treated with chemicals like never before, trans fats, high fructose etc.

Lack of hard work/exercise.

Many people are depressed/hate the world/ dont care.

Poor decision making by individuals on what they eat.

Bad school menus that lack proper nutrition, bringing many children up with poor eating habits.

BBQ Mikey said:
My 2 cents.

People are dumb, Americans esp. in the south are just in the dark to many many things, lest of which is eating.

Whoa, whoa, whoa…….now there is a stereotype I’d like to see abolished. I’m from and live in the south and am an Electrical Engineer. All of my co-workers are Engineers and many of my acquaintances are “real live” Rocket Scientists. Heck, there’s a billboard ad on a major highway in town that reads “Yes, we KNOW you ARE a Rocket Scientist”. Living in Huntsville, Alabama, means NASA is here, so we are very technically advanced. The days of the southern boy being dumb and buck-toothed are over! :wacko:

Intelligence, or the lack there-of, is most often a reflection of drive and desire and NOT geography! :smartass:

With less education,and/or less gainful employment (either available or accepted) comes life spent at or near the poverty level. Even with public assistance (food stamps) it's cheaper to feed a family on take out and prepackaged meals than to prepare healthy meals with fresh vegetables, fruits and proteins.

Less education and/or less gainful employment (either available or accepted) means less opportunity for insurance and medical intervention. That results in an unhealthy lifestyle (see above) that goes unchecked and uncorrected.

There is a plethora of reasons that kids are overweight. Mostly, it's a lack of just playing outside. Kids have to come straight home because both parents are at work; there is a diminished amount of playgrounds; most extra cirricular sports cost lots of money; the internet and text messaging; television available in about 1000 channels....all this contributes to childhood obesity.

As a society, we need further education (more health classes) about healthy lifestyles. Put Home Ecnomics back in the budget. Teach people how to cook for themselves..... Small steps will have huge rewards.

Andy M. said:
I don't believe that. How is a decision to not overeat NOT available to someone based on their income or residence?

It's hard to actually answer this...but I'm going to try. People in lower income communities have less access to quality educations. The taxes just aren't there to compensate enough to cover the cost for the best programs in the schools. What they do have in those communities are liquor stores, fast food joints ( the stuff is cheap, sure...and it's sooooo very bad for you) a grocery store, and little else. Either people are on government assistance or working 2 jobs at minimum wage. Many lack health and dental insurance. There are no fish markets, no butchers, and surely no green grocers. No one is sitting at home watching Rachel Ray teach them how to make a decent :)ermm:) meal in thirty minutes. Instead, it's pizza, burgers, frozen dinners, etc. A bottle of soda is cheaper than a gallon or orange juice. A box of twinkies is cheaper than a pound of cherries.

I'm not a scientist, but I don't think it's so much they are guilty of overeating, but instead it's the quality of food that is available and affordable. Add that to the fact that the commercials about healthy lifestyles, better diets, exercise....are usually targeting people who earn at least 100 thousand a year. You don't see too many commercials showing a mother who lives in the projects (forgive me if that term is offensive, I mean no disrespect) rushing home to prepare tyson chicken breasts and steamed vegetables.

Further, sadly, many of the people that grow up in these communities rarely leave. It's a horrid cycle that repeats itself. I don't think it's a matter of making decisions not to overeat...financially and geographically, I think, the choices are extremely limited.

I don’t know where everyone else lives, and I’m not in that big a town, but it is obviously more expensive to eat out than it is to eat in. A Subway sandwich goes for 4.99 (6 inch). I can buy a 6 pack of 6” rolls, lettuce, tomatoes, and meat for 8 bucks or less. Then, six sandwiches from that buy equate to $1.33 per sandwich which is 378% cheaper than eating out.

The only exception to this rule is the 99 cent menus……….

VeraBlue said:
With less education,and/or less gainful employment (either available or accepted) comes life spent at or near the poverty level. Even with public assistance (food stamps) it's cheaper to feed a family on take out and prepackaged meals than to prepare healthy meals with fresh vegetables, fruits and proteins.
Vera, thanks for stating that. It seems to be accepted as a truism but I don't believe it. Oatmeal and brown rice are inexpensive grains and easy to cook. Legumes are very inexpensive and incredibly easy. Many fruits and vegetables are inexpensive. Milk and eggs are cheap. Soybean oil is very inexpensive. It is just not true that takeout costs less than healthy home cooked.

DC members have the opportunity to alleviate this misunderstanding thereby improving the nutrition of many poor, indolent, or ignorant people.

I hope there is a lot of debate and discussion of this issue.

Back
Top Bottom