"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #61
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I don't believe that. How is a decision to not overeat NOT available to someone based on their income or residence?
Try an experiment. Deprive any kid of breakfast and lunch and then see how many Big Macs and fries they'll eat at supper.
__________________
Food fuels the body. Good food fuels body and soul.

"Recipes donít have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #62
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
Its many things lack of education lack of money, lack of excercise,being epxosed to massive advertising the fact that you can go to a grocery store that has entire rows devoted to chips,cookies and other foods made with trans fats the cheapest way to make these things.They force you to go thru these rows just to get some milk or vegetables.Also we have become really lazy and dont want to cook its all about convinience.And a lot of people just dont eat vegatables,they just dont appreciate them because they never really ate them when they were kids, I suppose.Refined foods is another problem no one seems to want to eat food in its natural state.Then heres another issue people eating because of something missing emotionaly to fill a void in their lives.I think America has alot of depressed individuals I also believe if you are raised on bad food then thats all you know so thats what you eat.I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #63
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.
Did you coin that?
__________________
Food fuels the body. Good food fuels body and soul.

"Recipes donít have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #64
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Try an experiment. Deprive any kid of breakfast and lunch and then see how many Big Macs and fries they'll eat at supper.
My comments throughout this thread have addressed the free will of individuals. A 'kid' doesn't always get to exercise free will in a world run by adults or have the intellectual maturity to make inportant decisions for themselves. So I have focused on adults.

That aside. I understand your point. Were it an adult scarfing up big macs, I'd say they were making a concious decision to overeat to compensate for day-long hunger.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 PM   #65
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Vera, thanks for stating that. It seems to be accepted as a truism but I don't believe it. Oatmeal and brown rice are inexpensive grains and easy to cook. Legumes are very inexpensive and incredibly easy. Many fruits and vegetables are inexpensive. Milk and eggs are cheap. Soybean oil is very inexpensive. It is just not true that takeout costs less than healthy home cooked.

DC members have the opportunity to alleviate this misunderstanding thereby improving the nutrition of many poor, indolent, or ignorant people.

I hope there is a lot of debate and discussion of this issue.
And this is where education comes in. You know how to cook legumes and grains. You know that they are healthy. Believe it or not, not everyone does. You would think that people know these things, but I have run into uneducated people who think fast food is plenty healthy.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #66
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Its many things lack of education lack of money, lack of excercise,being epxosed to massive advertising the fact that you can go to a grocery store that has entire rows devoted to chips,cookies and other foods made with trans fats the cheapest way to make these things.They force you to go thru these rows just to get some milk or vegetables.Also we have become really lazy and dont want to cook its all about convinience.And a lot of people just dont eat vegatables,they just dont appreciate them because they never really ate them when they were kids, I suppose.Refined foods is another problem no one seems to want to eat food in its natural state.Then heres another issue people eating because of something missing emotionaly to fill a void in their lives.I think America has alot of depressed individuals I also believe if you are raised on bad food then thats all you know so thats what you eat.I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.

These are all circumstances which may encourage individuals to eat unhealthy foods or to eat in excess.

It takes an effort on the part of the individual to say no to them and practice proper eating habits.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #67
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Did you coin that?
No I did not but read it somewhere and I believe its true that we get an appetite for fat.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #68
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
These are all circumstances which may encourage individuals to eat unhealthy foods or to eat in excess.

It takes an effort on the part of the individual to say no to them and practice proper eating habits.
Yes that is true but if they have never tried to eat healthy or dont know how to cook and eat healthy they just wont do it.I have met so many people that have not had certain vegatables etc before they will not even try it.I have met people who dont know what salmon is or artichokes,asparagus or fresh cherries and so on,all they know is cherries from a can.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #69
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
And this is where education comes in. You know how to cook legumes and grains. You know that they are healthy. Believe it or not, not everyone does. You would think that people know these things, but I have run into uneducated people who think fast food is plenty healthy.
In this day and age there are a lot of uneducated people like me who are online. Does anybody screen out googled sites above a specified education level? This is where sites like this one come in. We can still cater to the folks who want to discuss caviar and truffles but a forum dedicated to quality dishes cooked with inexpensive ingredients would be helpful to many current members, including myself, and a huge numbers of guests who visit daily. There is a constituency here that would rather exclude us great unwashed, but I think they are a minority.
__________________
Food fuels the body. Good food fuels body and soul.

"Recipes donít have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:04 AM   #70
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Vera, thanks for stating that. It seems to be accepted as a truism but I don't believe it. Oatmeal and brown rice are inexpensive grains and easy to cook. Legumes are very inexpensive and incredibly easy. Many fruits and vegetables are inexpensive. Milk and eggs are cheap. Soybean oil is very inexpensive. It is just not true that takeout costs less than healthy home cooked.

DC members have the opportunity to alleviate this misunderstanding thereby improving the nutrition of many poor, indolent, or ignorant people.

I hope there is a lot of debate and discussion of this issue.
And families want to eat oatmeal and brown rice?....especially when they are bombarded with the junk?? Easy to cook??? For a person who may have some cooking knowledge and a pantry full of things to add to it. Beans for dinner??? Most people eschew beans in general. If your only option for fresh fruit and vegetables are the local supermarket, they are most assuredely not cheap, and they are not local produce, either. The price of milk has risen three times in the past year.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:08 AM   #71
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
In this day and age there are a lot of uneducated people like me who are online. Does anybody screen out googled sites above a specified education level? This is where sites like this one come in. We can still cater to the folks who want to discuss caviar and truffles but a forum dedicated to quality dishes cooked with inexpensive ingredients would be helpful to many current members, including myself, and a huge numbers of guests who visit daily. There is a constituency here that would rather exclude us great unwashed, but I think they are a minority.
I don't believe many people living at or near the poverty level are spending their leisure time 'on line'.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #72
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I don't believe many people living at or near the poverty level are spending their leisure time 'on line'.
Not to mention have a computer. That is a luxury item and if they can't afford fresh cherries then they certainly can not afford a computer, let alone the free time to use one. How many low paying jobs are they working just to put any food on the table, even if it is unhealthy food? What free time do they have left to come online to DC?
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 AM   #73
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I don't believe many people living at or near the poverty level are spending their leisure time 'on line'.
Well, you're wrong. What's more, some of us are spending our working hours on line. I understand it would be more comfortable and convenient for you if we remained invisible; many will because of hope, denial, or embarrassment. The fact is, nigh on forty million of us interact with you every day.
__________________
Food fuels the body. Good food fuels body and soul.

"Recipes donít have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #74
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Not to mention have a computer. That is a luxury item and if they can't afford fresh cherries then they certainly can not afford a computer, let alone the free time to use one. How many low paying jobs are they working just to put any food on the table, even if it is unhealthy food? What free time do they have left to come online to DC?
This level of arrogance is literally incredible.
__________________
Food fuels the body. Good food fuels body and soul.

"Recipes donít have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #75
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
I know I said I wouldn't post in this topic again, but I also promised to give a link to some statistics for IronChef, so here is the link.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus06.pdf#073

Also, I see some people getting offended at this topic. I hope that we can remember we're talking about percentages and likelihoods, not every single individual in any given group. Also, some people seem to be thinking there is educational snobbery going on here. That is not the case for me, and I hope it is not the case with anybody else. My mother has an 8th grade education and she is one of the wisest people I know. She might not know statistics, but she sure knows life.

That being said, I have given the original topic much more thought. I work with many people of varying education levels. I would say the more educated people are more often overweight than the less educated. Granted, my circle of acquaintences certainly isn't representative of the US, but my point is that overall education may not have anything to do with it. The people who ARE their "ideal" weight in my office are the ones with some sort of nutritional education. I believe this might be the only education that has influence on this topic. Perhaps more nutritional education in our public schools would help prepare young adults for maintaining a healthy weight after they leave school.
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #76
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
This level of arrogance is literally incredible.
Excuse me? Just how is this arrogant?
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,787
Just to add a bit to the discussion, from Epidemiologic Reviews -- Sign In Page :

<quote abstract>
This review of the obesity epidemic provides a comprehensive description of the current situation, time trends, and disparities across gender, age, socioeconomic status, racial/ethnic groups, and geographic regions in the United States based on national data. The authors searched studies published between 1990 and 2006. Adult overweight and obesity were defined by using body mass index (weight (kg)/height (m)2) cutpoints of 25 and 30, respectively; childhood "at risk for overweight" and overweight were defined as the 85th and 95th percentiles of body mass index. Average annual increase in and future projections for prevalence were estimated by using linear regression models. Among adults, obesity prevalence increased from 13% to 32% between the 1960s and 2004. Currently, 66% of adults are overweight or obese; 16% of children and adolescents are overweight and 34% are at risk of overweight. Minority and low-socioeconomic-status groups are disproportionately affected at all ages. Annual increases in prevalence ranged from 0.3 to 0.9 percentage points across groups. By 2015, 75% of adults will be overweight or obese, and 41% will be obese. In conclusion, obesity has increased at an alarming rate in the United States over the past three decades. The associations of obesity with gender, age, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status are complex and dynamic. Related population-based programs and policies are needed.
</quote>
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #78
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Here's another site I found with some pretty good information:

Obesity In America - Obesity Facts and Information
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #79
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Too many simple carbs and no real will power to exercise regulary
__________________
Mark Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #80
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
*cue spooky music*

Dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnnn......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster_Die.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2866

Actually, this has been an interesting thread. I see the point about no education on nutrition leading to being over-weight. Still, I canít help but wonder if that is truly it? Is this lack of education leading to overeating, and overeating bad food at that?

It just seems a stretch to me that someone could not possibly recognize the link between the food they eat and the amount they weigh; no matter the level of education.

I still say most of it comes down to eating habits!
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.