What's In Your Picnic Basket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to pack two different picnic baskets please :chef:

Picnic Basket #1
fried chicken
potato salad
macaroni salad
3-bean marinated salad
cut up fruit
iced tea

Picnic Basket #2
Pressed sandwich with Italian meats and cheeses
tomato/caramelized shallot/balsamic salad
prosciutto/goat cheese wrapped asparagus
mini pesto/goat cheese/sun dried tomato torte
homemade mushroom pate with sherry and white wine
assorted meats and cheeses
raspberries, melons, blueberries, those cute little champagne grapes
Champagne - many, many bottles of Champagne, or Prosecco, or Cava - just make it bubbly :rolleyes:

Pile of wraps
guacamole;
salsa;
grated cheese;
sausages;
sliced chicken;
cherry tomatoes;
fruit juice

We all like to make our own wraps.

Baguette
Cheese
Dry sausage/salami
Wine
Fruit

I had one of the best days of my life with one of the greatest loves of my life, on a rocky coast of Maine and this exact picnic basket!

It's still my choice.

Lee

I had one of the best days of my life with one of the greatest loves of my life, on a rocky coast of Maine and this exact picnic basket!

It's still my choice.

Lee

Same for me! Except it was the Rhode Island coast.

Depends on if I'm taking a picnic basket &/or a cooler, & if it's for a crowd or date for two ;)

Cornish game hens or fried chicken always hits the spot.
For fried chicken - TOMATO PIE, mac, potato salad, coleslaw, marinated mushrooms. If I don't do the Tomato pie, a caprese salad or skewered fresh mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes & fresh basil. Or, tomato/cucumber/onion salad &/or watermelon & feta salad. Fresh fruit - strawberries and or grapes to plunk in the wine glasses. Melon wraped in prosciutto. Smoked salmon cheesecake as an appy. Dessert - hmm, lemon/blueberry pound cake (or white chocolate macadamia nut cookies or brownies for the kids).

Cold shrimp or crab salad in take-out containers with a cold noodle salad is another fave.

Sangria, watermelon lemonade or my Electric Lemondade always hit the spot.

Last edited:
Every summer, I pack the same 'first shore trip of the season' picnic lunch. It includes

Grilled shrimp with mango salsa
Fig and goat cheese baguettes with fresh spinach, dressed with balsamic and olive oil
Tortellini salad with pignoli nuts and roasted tomatoes.
Individual strawberry shortcakes with chocolate chip shortcakes
Zinfandel

italian heroes, baked lays potato chips, and white zinfandel.

the longer the heroes sit (relax on the safety thing. it's an expression), and especially if they get compressed, the oil, vinegar, and oregano gets to infuse everything and the flavors become a sum better than the whole.

unles you're hinking the grand canyon. that's a pretty big hole... :rolleyes:

Asparagus and goat's cheese tart
Smoked salmon
Hard boiled eggs
Garden salad
Calabrese salad
Kalamata olives
Bottle of good balsamic
Punnet of strawberries or blackberries
Little bottle of bubbles or premixed drinks
Water

My all-time favorite picnic basket ingredients are cold fried chicken, my special potato salad, deviled eggs, green tomato pickles, iced tea (not "sweet" for me), chocolate cake. It's all pretty simple but seems like a king's meal when we're eating under a big oak tree on a grassy bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. It's even nicer if the Delta Queen paddlewheeler comes buy and plays songs on her calliope. Now...THAT'S a picnic!

Back
Top Bottom