What's leapin' into your cooking pot tonight, Wednesday 2/29/2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
I'm naming and claiming the topic. Today is Leap Day 2012, a day that occurs only once every 4 years.

I'm tempted to attempt my much vaunted Shrimp and Walnuts with Creamy Sweet Sauce. Stolen (the idea) from my favorite local Chinese restaurant.

actually, it only registers once every four years because humans need to pretend they have a grip on time. what about leap seconds? why is there no mention of that?

lol, i'm just kidding. i was being you. :flowers:

rats!

by the time i write this, you'll have already thought what i'm about to...

(you know what i meant so i was actually right there with you for a second, until you read this. now your bouncing back and forth...

i need to go...)

I hope this will be construed as the menu topic of the day, as "what are you cooking today?"

What are you cooking tonight Wednesday, February 29th 2012?

I hope I didn't screw up the topic title...

Frog legs.

Seems appropriate for leap day.

(naw, no frog legs here)

Last edited:
I'm going to cook my Shrimp with Crispy Walnuts in Creamy Sweet Sauce unless my dentist appointment goes badly today, in which case I think I'll order same at my local Chinese restaurant. If I'm not in real pain I'll weigh their ingrediments. For my records, for my own foray into creating and publishing my own recipe for same.

Last edited:
I hope this will be construed as the menu topic of the day, as "what are you cooking today?"

What are you cooking tonight Wednesday, February 29th 2012?

I hope I didn't screw up the topic title...
Screw it up? Nah, not possible. Some people like to write "what's for dinner sinner?"....on a Sunday! :ermm: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There is no way to mess up the daily menu title..... um, there was the time I put the wrong day of the week....:wacko:

LOL. Some days I just can't get things right. I've asked the mod/admin team to rename this topic:

What's leapin' into your cooking pot tonight, Wednesday 2/29/2012?

I'm embarrassed that I couldn't get my first Today's Menu topic right. Folks, please, let's get past this and tell everybody what you're going to cook tonight?

On Leap Day? :)

i need to find me a date for the sadie hawkins dance tonight...greg, so what're you doing after the shrimp and crispy walnuts...?

sorry greg. maybe the next post will get you back on track.... :)

I have to go with my friend to the doctor tomorrow morning, then James and I both have doctor's appointments in the afternoon, and I have a feeling I'm not going to feel like cooking. I'm kind of thinking fast food take-out, but otherwise something quick like "blue box" macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, and a vegetable. Come to think of it, the doctor is probably going to kill me for the way I have been eating the last few months, so maybe I won't be making/eating anything for supper! :rolleyes:

TY mods for the topic retitle. :) TYVM (very much)

Vitauta I'm afraid we're hopelessly star crossed with you in NY and me in CA, 3000 miles betwixt. Best I can do is share recipes with you. :)

I tested my shrimp cooking method a few nights ago. I have some good ideas on the crispy walnuts but I've got Trader Joe's crispy walnuts in stock--good enough until I perfect my own crispy walnut recipe. All I have to figure out is the sauce, and I already know it's mayonnaise--yeah I know none of you think that's Chinese but my favorite restaurant does it that way and it's good--and condensed milk and either honey or sugar--my favorite restaurant uses sugar but I favor honey.

I like to think that every time you eat at a favorite restaurant where you are well known you can ask just one question about the ingredients.

I have to go with my friend to the doctor tomorrow morning, then James and I both have doctor's appointments in the afternoon...
OMG! And my dental appointment. I'm not sure I'll even feel like eating, let alone like cooking...

I hope you and friend and James and I all have reasonably a good day tomorrow/today Wednesday, good enough to enjoy dinner.

I really want to do my Shrimp and Walnut soon... I hope Leap Day is the day I perfect it. (Except for the crispy walnuts. I'm sure that part will be easy.)

DH is off to work and I imagine I will be at the hospital so I have homemade "TV Dinners" in the freezer.

DH's will be turkey meatballs with spinach and pasta and mine will be pot roast stew.

Good gosh, thanks for this topic. My hubby is driving off into a blizzard today, to meet with an architect (to discuss building of a Buddhist temple we got involved in). I may yet have to accompany him, but won't know until his buddy wakes up and phones. I keep forgetting that young people under 60 sleep a lot more than we do. I'm always up by 5AM, DH by 6,and it shocks me that we can't begin phoning by 7!

anyway....

Sup tonight might be homemade burgers in a bun, cuz we haven't had beef in awhile, and I have some frozen, and I bought buns yesterday. That's as far as I can think of supper. Will be checking back here for more ideas.

Tonight is that cooking class I have been working on. 25 people booked. I was advised to cook for 30 incase to accomodate a few walk-ins. I live two blocks from the deli, so I will be doing a lot of prep at home in my own kitchen and head over about 3:00. I would rather work alone and not get in each others way. I am baking bread and making a tomato sauce for the eggplant parmesan right now.. Then, I have to zip into town for a meeting for my college application (when it rains it pours) Tonight, I will be demonstrating chicken picatta(last nights dinner was a trial run) and for primi piate I will be making Fettucini Vongole(clam sauce). We will have things set up like a cooking show. Table with a portable gas burner. This is a first time for me so, wish me luck....

Last edited:
Haven't a clue about tonight's feed - just wanted to wish Rocklobster full and hearty success with his class. Bet it's good eats.

Back
Top Bottom