What's on Monday's Menu? June 5th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I am still laid up and still living out of boxes so I haven't been cooking much. However, my MIL is coming to help unpack and my FIL will come over for dinner and take her home.

It is a warm day but I have some meatballs I found on the bottom of the freezer when I was clearing and cleaning it out for the move. I think I will make stroganoff with them and serve with salad.

Dessert will be homemade coconut (non-dairy) ice cream.

I know I am improving when I want to cook again.

Glad to hear that you're recovering, LP. :flowers: Keep up the good work.

It's like an autumn day here today, so we'll have an autumn-type meal. I have a ham I'm baking so I can use the bone for some sort of soup before the weather gets warmer. (Thinking a ham and lentil soup, since we've never had that. Thoughts?) I'll roast a pan of redskin potatoes and green beans with it, and saute up some Swiss chard. Silly Himself said it's about time we tried some of the other chards like German, English, Slovak...:rolleyes:

Doing one of my fall back meals--salmon, wild asparagus, potato salad and rhubarb pie for dessert. Just plain ol' hot weather cooking on the grill outside since pie and salad were made over the weekend.

Picked up a fresh baguette from Panera to go with beef barley soup. It's what's for dinner.

Chicken grape salad (for sandwiches) w/mayo, sugar, white pepper, sliced almonds.

Had a chicken breast stuffed with ricotta, parmesan, and spinach, wrapped in bacon and grilled. The salad is just dressed in a simple vinaigrette. I'm not a big fan of chicken, but this was pretty good.

img_1513473_0_db6116ab1481cee1288816822d041902.jpg

I did a search for a dish with meatballs and bell peppers with Middle Eastern flavors and found this: http://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2010/...toes-tomatoes-and-peppers-izmir-kofte-my-way/

I used a variety of partial veggies from the bin and made the veggie portion in a Dutch oven on the stovetop. Baked the meatballs in the oven so they would get a little crispy and then finished them with the veggies. Served it all with tzatziki sauce, a few marinated slices of cucumber and toasted bread to sop up the sauce. It was quite good. 0605171902a_HDR.jpg0605172059a_HDR.jpg

My whole chicken finally defrosted in the fridge and I threw it in the crock pot today. Because the skin can't be eaten after a chicken has been crockpotted (well, maybe it can but I'm not going to be the one to eat it), I did something a little different and skinned the chicken before I put it in. Now that's one naked chicken!

I salted it with some kosher salt and put an onion up its bum. I had more onion than would fit, so I just laid the rest of the onion on top of the chicken. I don't know how it's going to taste, but I have mayo and almonds, so if nothing else, I'm going to have some great chicken sandwiches.

My whole chicken finally defrosted in the fridge and I threw it in the crock pot today. Because the skin can't be eaten after a chicken has been crockpotted (well, maybe it can but I'm not going to be the one to eat it), I did something a little different and skinned the chicken before I put it in. Now that's one naked chicken!

I salted it with some kosher salt and put an onion up its bum. I had more onion than would fit, so I just laid the rest of the onion on top of the chicken. I don't know how it's going to taste, but I have mayo and almonds, so if nothing else, I'm going to have some great chicken sandwiches.

Sprinkle that skin with some salt and pepper and put it under the broiler for 10 minutes or so. Mmmm, crispy chicken skin crumbled over anything is as delicious as bacon :yum:

Steve, s&p, GG, those are some fine looking dinner plates. Since it's show-and-tell time, I'll post my dinner plate photo, too. And then I'm going to go join Cheryl in a glass of wine...

Attachments

• 20170605_210821.jpg
    20170605_210821.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 143
I am still laid up and still living out of boxes so I haven't been cooking much. However, my MIL is coming to help unpack and my FIL will come over for dinner and take her home.

It is a warm day but I have some meatballs I found on the bottom of the freezer when I was clearing and cleaning it out for the move. I think I will make stroganoff with them and serve with salad.

Well, the inlaws didn't make it over but we had the meatballs anyway. I have enough left over to freeze for another meal. I can refreeze them because when I make them I freeze them raw and cook as needed. It was so good to be cooking again!

Well, the inlaws didn't make it over but we had the meatballs anyway. I have enough left over to freeze for another meal. I can refreeze them because when I make them I freeze them raw and cook as needed. It was so good to be cooking again!
You can refreeze them cooked as long as they have been kept at a safe temperature. There's nothing about thawed raw food that makes it suddenly go bad.

Glad you were able to have someone come help you unpack. Hope your meatballs turned out good.

Leftover ribeye, salad, cheese quesadilla, and thin mint cookies or dessert. One of these days I will remember to take a picture of my plate and post it up here.

Hi all, been away so long I should probably do a new member intro.

Anyway last night was Mackerel Pilaff. Brown rice, onion, red capsicum pepper, mackerel, stock, courgette. Was lovely.

Attachments

• WP_20170605_18_27_31_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20170605_18_27_31_Pro (2).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 128
I occasionally like to go Middle Eastern, so tonight it's aubergine boats with a filling of rice, cubed pieces of aubergine,long grain rice, onions and garlic, olive oil and lemon juice, allspice, mint and parsley, with flat Arab bread and Middle Eastern salad.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom