What's on the Table, Mabel? Oct. 5th, 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Someone made Swedish Meatballs a few days ago and it got me craving them. Except mine will be made with fresh ground pork (with a little beef thrown in but we can't have too much) and gluten-free breadcrumbs. TB will have gluten-free fettuccini and I will have broad egg noodles. And the sauce will be thickened with tapioca or corn starch.

I am making a salad on the side.

I will cook up some ww spaghetti, heat up some jarred sauce with TVP added and finish off with some chocolate, chocolate chip cookies I made yesterday.

Crepes filled with ricotta, smoked moz, spinach, and criminis, topped with a bit of a Sicilian tomato sauce.

Attachments

• 2017-10-05 19.26.25.jpg
    2017-10-05 19.26.25.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 149
Sounds and looks great guys!!

I went freezer diving and came up with a Costco Rotisserie
Chicken Breast (huge).
So I made some homemade Chicken Gravy to reheat the
sliced chicken in and then some mashed potatoes (with loads
of gravy) and steamed Green Beans.
I was going to make stuffing as well, but DH nixed that one:
"I don't think that we need that much carb, do you?"
:ohmy::ermm::LOL:

I still need to go shopping. Meantime, I pulled out some flank steak I have and then realized it needs about 12 hours of marinating. So there goes dinner tonight. Then I thought of having a tuna melt, except I have no bread.

I should just get my lazy butt out there and shop, but I've got 6 stores to go to and if I do them all tomorrow, I can take advantage of the Friday sale and at the same time, just circle round the the bay with a minimum amount of driving.

So with no meat thawed and nothing in the cupboard, no noodles, no bread, no cheese, no potatoes, no veggies, and no eggs, anybody got any suggestions? Besides Taco Bell, that is?

I have pancake mix. LOL

I had a nibble tray this afternoon. Olive tapenade hummus (store bought, but it was delicious) with celery sticks, a few different kinds of cheese, crackers, deviled egg, a couple of pickles, and watermelon.

I got home late, so I'm going to butterfly a chicken breast, pan fry it, and make a chicken sandwich. Probably fruit on the side.

CD

Stirling is going to a potluck on Saturday. He wants to bring a http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/mock-armadillo-danish-meatloaf-69011.html#post948216. He wanted to make it well ahead of time in case of oopsies. Then he figured he could just as well make two at once and we could have one for supper. So, supper was mock armadillo with roasted potato wedges and a salad.
kLA7iDfJyVOS0sGG4-UK_mWyr4aiaEh6BRZ7LC0XcHCPdBdx72XEUCFgpjFm7bIzOgK7AhNRUdpCqgKNxXibwa2RAXy9IR8IMnnHwC5P4MfnUBQP1_piXiCROxBqOzRyT4sYPyCpfya6MBrC8Xq-dB-hrpHH-JlTVXYhbIpzdKC52_BzYY-i-iz4K6sh5eVdJfqRQHKg0HqLBGENko5xm85bcSUYtuE0TbHHNKC2aEfQeTZ6oFm4P1ydjJ7dnCKSJblMZXoKy2dJJ3NiRGPcdXiM0ZkitU4gEBNtWaaDPG_8qCL6tksctGwupd3QKC-6L9G482XXmdQ9SxSNt2y819Xa81iRjpwCm2opZSSr6w2h1l_U3g8JjWSPmNMEgNNrRC5ODkuGAzEXeJPWnMkiUgl2VxAYBksDoZ-3v5YnjvibCypFmOJ49lieOpQqeEPyQ0XqUkmBYpKjEJNVr_J7BRdwBz2GIwZEqjPlk5qztyKiijRMMSNfnW7zghX8o_nV7MKoDvcKMcHODP4-bZr24J3XSBQREX2uyf5OHBMbbOrHJhjCXlpgntAXOwkCTx6-TF4MxfF6iJho-5XQc19eHjx4gonEjI45Tu2fFkQMzlthiKsvWVxXVpt0AHF78hbN0QxDioBnnkum_wlKKS49zsjPnZmvZs-xPiFe=w734-h550-no

More pix here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/di6orhqkg5mQU2Y52

Stirling is going to a potluck on Saturday. He wants to bring a He wanted to make it well ahead of time in case of oopsies. Then he figured he could just as well make two at once and we could have one for supper. So, supper was mock armadillo with roasted potato wedges and a salad.

That does look like an armadillo body. You could easily make a head out of some veggies. Let me know if you ever want to try cooking a real one. We have plenty. We call them speed bumps. :LOL:

CD

Last edited:
I still need to go shopping. Meantime, I pulled out some flank steak I have and then realized it needs about 12 hours of marinating. So there goes dinner tonight.

Flank steak does not need to be marinated that long; marinating adds flavor, but doesn't tenderize, so a couple of hours will be fine. Don't overcook it, slice it against the grain, and it will be nice and tender.

Reserve some of the marinade to use as a sauce. Cut a cross-hatch pattern in the steak and put it in the marinade for two hours. Turn it over a few times during marinating. Sear it in a very hot pan for three minutes per side and let rest for five minutes. Slice and serve.

Last edited:
I fixed the wildflower honey ham steak and had mac&cheese as a side, along with a salad. Finished the last pumpkin muffin for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom