What's on the table, Mable? Thursday Jan 9th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you mean to say "simmering a stock" or something else?

I didn't say it couldn't be done - just that it never occurred to me. It's so easy to overcook seafood that I wouldn't want to risk ruining a relatively pricy dish.

That recipe also calls for adding boneless chicken breast at the beginning of the cooking time, which I wouldn't do. And in my experience, bell peppers are cooked to mush in a slow cooker. I really only use mine for things like pulled pork, caramelized onions and apple butter. As always, YMMV.

Why would it be ruined?
That is the part I do not understand.
But like you said, YMMV. I have no doubt I could cook some "bubbling food" in a slow cooker for hours, add seafood at the end before serving and it would not be ruined, nor overcooked.
It's all in the method.

But this is a topic for another thread ;)

I'm defrosting some left-over spiral sliced ham from Christmas. We need a quickie dinner tonight (Pilates session) so I'll just heat up a few slice to serve with a salad. The rest will find it's way into a split pea soup in a day or so.

We have some leftover spaghetti sauce that I was going to freeze, but DH really wants spaghetti again tonight.

Why would it be ruined?
But like you said, YMMV. I have no doubt I could cook some "bubbling food" in a slow cooker for hours, add seafood at the end before serving and it would not be ruined, nor overcooked.
It's all in the method.

Hey, why not, Pac? I've never had CP seafood either, but it sounds interesting!

Why would it be ruined?
It's all in the method.

Just one more ;-) Okay, I admit it. I have a bias against slow cookers. The last several meals I have made with it were very disappointing - mushy vegetables and dry meat or poultry - so it's been literally years since I've used it for that. I would much rather have direct control over the doneness of unforgiving proteins. Again, YMMV, so if someone wants to try it, it won't affect my dinner ;-)

Last edited:
Oh my, I hope this works! I made meatballs of Italian sausage and veal. I mushed up the meat, put in Italian seasonings, minced garlic, finely cut red onion and cracked black pepper into the meat. Then I lightly seared these in a frypan with light olive oil and opened a big jar of DA's tomato sauce and put that in a large saucepan with a little more garlic, sage, oregano, and a bit of crushed red pepper.

I added the meatballs, and I am heating this on low heat, just barely a simmer so that everything is cooked through. Mamma said the key to these meatballs and sauce is to use lower heat (it's at 3.5) and to cook through slowly so the flavors all run into each other and mix up.

I'll serve this over spaghetti noodles. Mamma seasons noodles by dumping in some fresh chives and a couple dashes of onion powder and black pepper into the water as they boil.

If this doesn't work, I am making the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits with the sauce with it, and at least those will be edible!

With love and crossed fingers,
~Cat

You guys!!! I'm glad you're always here!!! :) I've been preoccupied by other personal problems more pressing than cooking, but tonight I decided to put my chef's hat on and cook one of my "signature" recipes:

Pad Krapow Moo ... Obviously that is Thai food, and my feast tonight reminds me of the entire month I spent cooking nothing but Thai food. I got a whole bunch of Thai cookbooks and searched the Internet, and for an entire month I cooked nothing but Thai, and I ate dinner out only about 3-4 times during that month, to dine with friends who didn't want to eat Thai. I'll always consider that month my apprenticeship to Thai cooking. (That was about maybe 5 years ago.)

Those of you who know me well know that I have my own recipe website but you also know that I do not like to flog my recipes on forums such as DC. So I won't post a link here but if you google "Pad Krapow Moo" I'm sure you will figure out my recipe and which website is mine.

Tonight I took pictures, and I hope tomorrow I'll have a good "take" that results in some images that not only will you enjoy but may also contribute to my recipe website.

Anyway it was really good! After so long of cooking ordinary recipes like hamburgers and steaks it's good to be back into my exotic area of regional cuisines that I specialize in!

So if I have any good pics I'll post them here tomorrow (and also add them to my website).

I admire Pioneer Woman and some day I hope I can get a site going like hers, with step by step photographs, and then follow with what my site offers: a short "Betty Crocker" style recipe and maybe a photo.

I forgot to add a Thai --> English translation:

Pad = stir fried

Krapow = Thai basil or holy basil, not the same as our Western basil (big write-up on my site discussing basil varieties)

Moo = the Thai word for pork

And don't leave out the fried egg. I don't know why that's so good but all my photos I took tonight featured that option.

Nothing so fancy for us tonight.

Oven blasted (450 degrees) whole Tri Tip, cooked to rare, and rested. This time I slathered it with balsamic glaze and liked the results a lot. We also had Steve's reheated caramelized onion grated potato pancakes (even better tonight) and green salad.

PS..I'll post Steve's recipe tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ha! This worked! My next project will be real Italian meatballs.

I think some of the things you all cook are way above my head! Yet they sound so very good! Maybe someday I'll be very good.

With love,
~Cat

Thanks for all the input re fish/seafood in a crockpot.

In the end I turned to a tried and trusted old favourite: we enjoyed sizzling garlic shrimp finished under the grill, alongisde Capelli pasta with a spinach and pesto sauce. Most yummy.

I have no idea. It wouldn't occur to me to put fish or seafood in the slow cooker, so I wouldn't look for a recipe like that.
I have several slow cooker recipe books and they all feature fish and sea food. Can't imagine why you would need to. Fish and sea food are almost instant foods.

Here's my pad krapow moo:

pad_krapow_moo.jpg

I was very pleased with the results. The fresh Thai (holy) basil and the fried egg really sets off this dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom