What's on your plate Sunday January 10, 2021?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never made or eaten pierogi. SO asked for them after we saw them made on a cooking show. I guess I should get moving.

Andy, I used a recipe from King Arthur 's website: Homemade Pierogi This wasn't the recipe I used the first time; that one called for water and no sour cream. That one produced a very fragile dough that tore. This recipe is simple: flour, salt, egg, sour cream. Not authentic, from what I've read (it's the sour cream that does it). When first mixed, I was skeptical. It seemed like it would never hydrate throughout the ball of dough. I put it in the fridge for an hour, then left the wrapped ball on the counter for 1/2 hour or so before I started to roll it out. The rested dough was really easy to work. It was easy to fill. The recipe called for 2" circles. :ermm: My smaller cutter is 3", so I used that and got 27 pierogi.

...CG, yours look great! Do you have a specific way to make them?
Well, most of the time my cooking method is read a recipe twice, pull out the ingredients, and hope for the best! :LOL: My first attempt was sad. The now-forgotten recipe I used produced a very fragile dough that broke instead of stretched when I was forming the pierogi. The dough from the recipe above ended up making a very workable dough. I didn't cry or swear once when making the little beauties. I worked with only half the ball of dough at a time, and covered anything (dough and completed pierogi) with a well rung-out kitchen towel so that the dough stayed moist. I also pinched the edges two or three times around because I thought it would look nice than fork tines. Not one dumpling leaked. Yay!

To celebrate the Browns being in the playoffs for the first time since 2003, I made a very Cleveland meal: pierogi. This is just my second attempt making them from scratch, and they turned out so much better than the first. Himself likes his with sauteed onions. I have mine with slightly sweetened sour cream. No leftovers.

CG those look amazing. I learned to make pierogi from an "adopted" grandmother who was from Romania. She taught me stuffed peppers as well. I haven't made them in a couple of years but I think you have inspired me!

We had leftovers - Me: meatballs with rice and ginger garlic sauce. TB: the rest of the Asian pork tenderloin with rice and the same sauce. It was an Instant Pot recipe and the meatballs were from a pasta dish the night before.

Hi Lydia! *waves* Good to see you! Thanks for the compliment. Compared to the first time I made pierogi, the dough recipe I used this time made me feel like a pro.

Back
Top Bottom