What's on your plate this St. Urho's Day (2015-03-16)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A casserole is less liquid. Think baked macaroni and cheese or baked ziti and broccoli or chicken and rice casseroles.
In this country, yes. But in France, traditional Boeuf Bourguignon is considered a casserole, because it's usually made in the oven. Even though we would probably call it a stew here.

Good golly... I am starting to sound like mumu.

Last edited:
I don't think what the French call it is relevant to this discussion. In Danish a dish served in a "kasserolle" is a "kasserolle". Kasserolle is the Danish word for a cooking implement that is either a saucepan or similar. It could be a cauldron.

I'm roasting a chicken, stuffing it with shallot and lemon. Not sure of the seasoning on the outside, but thinking something simple like garlic and sage. Tossing some carrots in the oven too, and maybe a red potato or two cut up and oiled and seasoned.

Out thermometer hit 50! today, so of course we'll be having salad. :)

Have you tried the McCormick garlic/sea salt in the grinder for seasoning? Market Basket has it. I had a coupon for $1.00 off two. I got this on a whim along with some peppercorns. I love the garlic/sea salt one. I have been using it on everything. :angel:

St. Urho is a delusional fictional character created by Richard Mattson, a department store clerk living in Minnesota, in 1956.

St. Urho is a delusional fictional character created by Richard Mattson, a department store clerk living in Minnesota, in 1956.
Winters are long in MN.:LOL: There are other things one does between February and March in MN that you don't want to know about...eelpout? Anyone want to touch that?:neutral:

Have you tried the McCormick garlic/sea salt in the grinder for seasoning? Market Basket has it. I had a coupon for $1.00 off two. I got this on a whim along with some peppercorns. I love the garlic/sea salt one. I have been using it on everything. :angel:
No need. I have a grinder that holds pepper corns in once side, coarse salt in the other, and also have a container of Penzeys granulated garlic. The last thing I need is another "blend". :wacko: If I acquire any more seasonings, I'll have to move all the dishes out of my cupboards!

Ok, I have to ask, Mumu? Is that in reference to a discussion I saw here on baking/roasting?

As for the stew casserole thing I have a foot in both camps. I would say that in general I see the point made by Andy and I would indeed rate by runniness soup, stew and then casserole.
Perhaps that is why they called this a casserole, as it was fairly thick, although I did have to thicken it slightly with cornflour.
But I also think that a stew is done on the hob and a casserole is done in the oven.

At the end of the day who cares, so long as the end result is delicious?

As this is meant to be a section for discussing todays menu I might ask the casserole/stew question elsewhere on the site, not a big issue just curious as to the consensus.

Back
Top Bottom