What's on your plate Thursday12/16/10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a package of 2 thin chuck steaks which I am thinking I will pan fry and finish under broiler with a seasoned crumb mixture. I have 2 choices for veggies and carbs either: choice 1 - broccoli rabe sauteed with oil and garlic and fried potatoes with onions and mushrooms or homemade mac & cheese or choice 2 - baked potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts.

Any plans?

I may try my hand at egg foo yung with sesame noodles tonight if I can get to the store for all the ingredients. Need the bean sprouts and shrimp and green onion. If not, will probably just warm up the leftover chili and make some rice to go with it.

I finished soaking the salt out of some home made corned beef, so we will be having boiled dinner tonight. Yay, there will be corned beef for sandwiches.

I'm just back from my SavALot shopping. I got a nice big fresh ham that I'm bringing was bringing to room temperature to start braising, but it turned out so nice today, I'll put it in the fridge for a really cold day.

I had taken out the other half pound of frozen chicken livers and the frozen leftover country gravy. The leftover fried livers and country gravy were SO GOOD together, I decided to saute the uncooked livers in butter and onion and serve them with the country gravy (white sauce w/S&P & dill).

I still have seasoned collard greens left as a side dish. That should be plenty with a half pound of chicken livers and sauce. Wonder if I'll have leftover livers?

I have a pot of chicken cooking for Chicken and Homemade Noodles. YUMYUM

Grandson is here for dinner tonight so were using up some frozen meat sauce over spaghetti for dinner tonight (it's his fav). I made a batch of the chocolate cake-like brownies from another thread for dessert. They're cooling now.

When I went to put away the pork shoulder, it was already room temperature, so I went ahead and started it braising in sherry and water. I'm cooking it low and slow, but still am not planning on it for dinner.

I'm really psyched about the braised in butter chicken livers with country gravy.

However, I do have a question for msmofet. I found a couple of thin chuck steaks for sale. There is a lot of marbling, but looks kind of tough.

How do you make your pan fried/breaded dish? Do you think it will be tender enough? My first thought was to brown both sides and simmer for a couple of hours in pan gravy, but I'm up for ideas.

Last edited:
I think I want to eat at licia's tonight!

If my avocados are soft enough I will have tacos, but since I don't think they will be, I will probably have beef chow mein. How funny, as I was typing this, a little Hotmail pop-up came up telling me I just got an email from the California Avocado Commission. :cool:

:)Barbara

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 157
As I suspected the avocados weren't ready, so beef chow mein it is. I'm being good tonight though (a little anyway) and am going to have it on basmati rice instead of white rice, which I usually use. Hopefully that will make up just a teeny bit for all the preservatives in that LaChoy can!

:)Barbara

I made a pot of chicken chipotle tomato soup.

Kinda fun to start with a whole chicken and end with a nice pot of soup.

WOWIE!! Everyones food sounds great AND the food pics are fantastic!!

When I went to put away the pork shoulder, it was already room temperature, so I went ahead and started it braising in sherry and water. I'm cooking it low and slow, but still am not planning on it for dinner.

I'm really psyched about the braised in butter chicken livers with country gravy.

However, I do have a question for msmofet. I found a couple of thin chuck steaks for sale. There is a lot of marbling, but looks kind of tough.

How do you make your pan fried/breaded dish? Do you think it will be tender enough? My first thought was to brown both sides and simmer for a couple of hours in pan gravy, but I'm up for ideas.

I love the flavor of chuck and don't mind if it is a bit chewy but thin ones aren't to tough. I had a change of plans.

Our dinner: Beef Stroganoff (chuck steak cut into thin strips and sliced mushroom caps seasoned and sautéed in butter till steak was brown and mushrooms tender. One box of Trader Joe’s condensed cream of Portobello mushroom soup , burgundy wine and milk added and simmered till tender, finished with sour cream), egg noodle bows tossed with butter and parsley and a green mixed salad.

img_948442_0_fde331f829b6b90e234e8e0108675afd.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the chicken livers can wait until tomorrow.

I braised the pork shoulder (7.36#) in about a cup of cream sherry, and a cup of water. 2-1/2 hrs at 325 degrees. I left it in the oven for a 1/2 hr more then put it on a plate.

Of course I had to taste it, so I ended up with a couple of slices with a little of the concentrated sherry/water. No nothing. No salt. No pepper. No spices. Mmmmm.

I decided it would do instead of messing up the kitchen more than it already is :)

I covered it up and put the pot likker away. The rest of the kitchen will kind of do itself. Every time I go in there, more gets done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom