What's The Good Grub on Sept. 2nd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Tonight, we will be having spaghetti and meatballs, with 4 bean salad, and mixed fruit in Whipped cream for desert.

Did you know that 3 lbs. of meat, plus onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, an egg and milk makes 54 meatballs? I didn't until today.

I made my sauce from sautéed 3/4 of a large onion, and 5 cloves of freshly minced garlic, added dried oregano, basil, and savory. Added tomato puree, fresh grape tomatoes, and a little tomato paste. I let it cook a bit, and there was a mild bitter note. I didn't want to add sugar. I thought maybe carrot would help. When I got into the fridge, I spotted fresh thyme sprigs. I added what I thought would be the right amount, stirred them in, stems and all, and let simmer for ten minutes. I tasted the sauce. The bitterness was gone, and the flavor was better balanced, and brighter, really good now. I baked my meatballs, and they are now simmering in the sauce. This is going to be a good meal.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• matballs uncooked2.jpg
    matballs uncooked2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 64
  • meatballs cookied2.jpg
    meatballs cookied2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Sauce and meatballs2.jpg
    Sauce and meatballs2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 46
YUM! :yum: Chief
That's how I do mine too, less mess ;)

Today is a leftovers day, all the way around, B, L & D

Breakfast was leftover British Bangers, Hard Boiled Eggs, Toast and Fruit.
Lunch for Me & Mom was a repeat of what I had last night at the Mexican Joint, DH wasn't hungry :huh:
For Dinner this evening, we'll finish off our dinners from 2 nights ago at one of our favorite places in town, Eggplant Parm with a dish of fresh Pasta for Mom, Penne with grilled chicken and Pesto Sauce for Moi and I found 3 meatballs in the bottom of the freezer so it'll be Spaghetti and Meatball for DH.

I have Andy's Sister's recipe of Apple Squares leftover from last night's Card Night with our next-door neighbor ... I think I'll add a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream to each serving :chef:

Last edited:
I made a pork stir fry. I made modifications to the recipe I used for chicken stir fry a few weeks ago for the first time. Oh, that turned out good. I velveted the pork and that really made the pieces of pork tender. I found out that all I have to do to velvet meat, is add some corn starch and a little water. Stir it around until all the meat is coated and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Then, it's ready to fry. I used some fresh snow peas, scallions, and a half a yellow bell pepper and topped up the vegis with some frozen stir fry mix. I served it with brown rice.

Pork and mixed vegis stir fry with brown basmati rice.jpg

I felt like shrimp tonight so I searched the larder and came up with a recipe.

Shrimp with Kalamata olives and marinated artichokes in a butter and white wine sauce over rotini. (took me longer to type the recipe name than it did to cook it!)

7789D973-936E-49BF-84D5-F4171FD5CD15_1_105_c.jpg

Last edited:
Macaroni & cheese mixed with sweet peas, then baked in oven with a monterey jack cheese topping. Mini strawberry muffins for dessert.

Some leftovers (pork chops, green beans with mushrooms, and mustard potato salad) plus cauliflower cheese casserole. Lots of the cauliflower left.

IMG_20210902_204752535.jpg

Yesterday I also made meatballs, Chef John's recipe with Ricotta. Son & DIL home from vacation. Meatballs into the oven, speghetti and a jarred tomato and basil sauce. Was very tasty.

My 615 gr beef with ricotta, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, parsley made approx. 35 1" balls. But I didn't count. Leftover will be a lunch soon.

I actually went on a meatball marathon last week for the freezer. All great recipes.
Pork and Ricotta Meatballs (served with a Parmesan Broth/Soup)
The 'Best' Meatballs (serve with Marinara)
Giant Meatballs (for a Tomato Fennel Sauce)
Hoisin Orange Pork Meatballs

Hoisin Orange is a new one for me - hope it is as delish as all the others have been.

Hubby has been craving fish tacos and they are hard to find around here. So, I tried a new recipe for fish tacos that I saw on an episode of The Kitchen, some month back. GZ's kids make them...easy enough! Along with the fish tacos, we had mayacoba beans, mashed for "refried" beans, copycat Restaurant Mexican Rice and lots of tortillas, street size, and regular size. They were good! Should have gotten a picture.

Back
Top Bottom