What's the most bogus thing in your cupboard, freezer, or refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some canned and packaged tuna and also a couple of rice mixes. I eat one can of vienna sausage a year, but haven't bought one this year.

oh not the tiramisu!!

jkath said:
great topic. It's like letting our friends take a peek into our pantries!
How about this one....tiramisu mix in a box (oetker brand). I just love it and drench it with whatever rum/kahlua/malibu I have on hand.
That, and jell-o instant pudding.

Jkath, I'm just shaking my head over here. Please, not tiramisu from a box, please, hahaha.

I remember a cake my mother used to make with instant pistachio pudding mix, in both the cake and the frosting. Remember dream whip??

fruit from a can

luvs said:
oodles of noodles &, for summer, fruit from a can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, but...it's summer, it's literally falling right off the trees, hahaha. What's an oodle of noodle?

back in the early 80's

licia said:
I have some canned and packaged tuna and also a couple of rice mixes. I eat one can of vienna sausage a year, but haven't bought one this year.

I actually had those instant potato mixes in my cupboard, too. It's hard to get off the instant rice mix. I have to admit, I've got canned tuna, too, but I am afraid to eat it now because of all the mercury.

When my children were younger they adored a tinned chocolate pudding available in France called Mont Blanc. Every time any of us make a visit across the channel we have to bring back a couple of cans. I counted them about a week ago. There are 10. Every time I insist that tins are removed from my pantry, the cry goes up 'they're too heavy to take back to ......' Frankly, it's oversweet horrid stuff, but they say it reminds them of their childhoods.:)

I have 2 jars of marshmallow fluff, a bag of instant mashed potatoes:sick: , bunches of ramen noodles, Kraft mac & cheese (both the boxes & the easy mac), potted meat, chicken gravy mix, white gravy mix, alfredo sauce mix, instant pudding in several flavors, an assortment of cake mixes, & probably much much more but I'm embarrased enough as it is!:blush: Most of this stuff my mom gave to us right after hubby lost his job last year. So, I can't really complain about any of it, it's helped save a few pennies when we were really stretched tight.

and some of those things come in handy whether it is money being tight or even time being tight. Everyone doesn't have time or funds to start a nice meal from scratch. If we do, that is great, if we don't, we have to use what we can to get a meal on the table. I know my dil takes lots of shortcuts, but if I had 4 kids under 11, they would probably have to get a new mother. I only had 2 and they were 7 years apart. I thought that was hard at the time.

"dolceneve" in our pantry... it is a powdered mix if you add milk and whip it, makes a whipped cream like substance. It doesn't taste nearly as good as real whipped cream, but we keep it just in case of need when we are out of real cream...

We also have a green colouring liquid, too... we were laughing at a Malaysian chef on the telly one day because she was using it to everything, almost like a St. Patricks day fest... but then we decided to make a pandan, and we found this colouring while we were out shopping and thought what the heck, let's go for the "authentic"...:ROFLMAO:

There are 2 (well, one and a half) cans of spray whipped cream in the fridge. I made a shortcake for work, and couldn't figure out how to do real whipped cream without making a big production out of it.

There are a couple of boxes of jello pudding and sugarfree jello in the cupboard--they need to be tossed, because they must be 3 years old.

Other than that, I am pretty unbogus.

sparrowgrass said:
There are 2 (well, one and a half) cans of spray whipped cream in the fridge. I made a shortcake for work, and couldn't figure out how to do real whipped cream without making a big production out of it.

We always make whipped cream for our ice cream, just for two of us each time! We just pour about 100ml or maybe even less of 35% milkfat cream (heavy cream?) into a tall measuring vessel (for something like 750ml, or pint and half), and use an electric beater. It whips up pretty quickly. Just make sure the cream is well chilled.

Last edited:
Yeah- whipped cream isn't that bad, although I remember it was a big deal the first time I made it! Some people add sugar and vanilla, others don't. I once used my kitchen aid mixer to make whipped cream and it was stiff peaks in probably 30 seconds or less!

-Tim

licia said:
and some of those things come in handy whether it is money being tight or even time being tight. Everyone doesn't have time or funds to start a nice meal from scratch. If we do, that is great, if we don't, we have to use what we can to get a meal on the table. I know my dil takes lots of shortcuts, but if I had 4 kids under 11, they would probably have to get a new mother. I only had 2 and they were 7 years apart. I thought that was hard at the time.

How right you are licia! The ramen noodles & mac & cheese have come in handy on many occasions when I don't feel like really putting a lot of effort into the kids lunch or they just don't want to eat anything else.

middie, middie, middid..

middie said:
Canned Veggies. *Shudder*
Don't ask me how spinach
and carrots got in there.
I don't eat them so I have
absolutely NO idea !

Canned spinach? Does Popeye live with you?

licia said:

Licia, I simply stopped cooking. hahaha. If it's not Friday, Saturday or Sunday, there is nothing to eat here.

don't toss the jello!

sparrowgrass said:

There are a couple of boxes of jello pudding and sugarfree jello in the cupboard--they need to be tossed, because they must be 3 years old.

Other than that, I am pretty unbogus.

Make jello shots. The vodka will kill anything..

This doggoone Easy Mac and Cheese that just won't go away. DH bought it for when we were remodeling our kitchen and wanted some. But since we didn't have a stove he bought this because you fix it in the microwave. I truely don't like the stuff but I can't see wasting it. Luckily DH and our youngest don't care and eat it.

Bogus is in the eye of the beholder. I use canned and instant anything when it suits my purpose and from scratch when that suits my purpose. licia is right.

Most of the "bad" stuff in my cupboards is just plain old - coupla cans of whole cranberry sauce that never got used some T-giving ago.

A tupperware container full of tea bags that have to be ancient.

Held onto part of a package of dried lasagna noodles like they were my first concert tshirt and finally just threw 'em away.

Maybe you'll find this bogus - four jars of peanut butter, all opened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom