Which entree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ella/TO

Sous Chef
I'm in a quandry....kids are coming to dinner on Sunday and I'm tuckered out and can't think of what to make...well, I've got it down to either lasagna or moussaka.....what say DH'ers? Appreciate all your answers, thanks:question:

Which one is the most labor-intensive? If you are tired, I go for the one that requires the least effort.

My lasagna is a time consuming recipe, but it can be made well in advance and baked when needed. Not sure about moussaka as I've never prepared it.

I'm with Katie. My mom's favorite go to when I was a kid was simply spaghetti with red sauce. A lot cheaper than lasagna, easier than either that or moussaka. AND that was before you could buy red sauce in a jar. That, a tossed green salad and garlic bread (which is just fine purchased in the freezer dept of Wal Mart).

there is also nothing wrong with saying, "How about you bring xxxxx". Be it desert (I'm not a baker and I often ask people to bring desert) or an appetizer or the salad. I'm not familiar with your area, but someone can pick up a bag of greens and bottle of dressing, or some cheese and crackers.

If you want it to be really easy, just buy the ready to bake noodles, canned spaghetti sauce and grated cheese. If you want to make it seem homemade, dice up some onions, mushroomsm, peppers, half of a tomato, parsley, give them a quick simmer in with the sauce before assembling. Fresh cheese and parsley on the top and voila! They will think you slaved all day:LOL:

Last edited:
What's in your freezer? If you have some spaghetti sauce with meat, your lasagna is already almost made. I use cottage cheese mixed with egg instead of Ricotta, some mozzarella, and some grated spaghetti cheese. I always have the no cook noodles on hand.

It takes me less than 15 minutes to have it ready for the oven, (not including thawing time).

Crock pot or skillet lasagnas are pretty quick and easy. I've made both, and they're good. You could use the jarred spaghetti sauce as well. I doctor it up. I'm with Claire, spaghetti is much less work than traditional lasagna, at least for me!

Last edited:
If you want it to be really easy, just buy the ready to bake noodles, canned spaghetti sauce and grated cheese. If you want to make it seem homemade, dice up some onions, mushroomsm, peppers, half of a tomato, parsley, give them a quick simmer in with the sauce before assembling. Fresh cheese and parsley on the top and voila! They will think you slaved all day:LOL:
This is a good idea!

Decision made!...lol.....Moussaka it is....now, how about sending me your T&T recipes.....t'will be greatly appreciated.....I'm also going to buy, not prepare, appetizers.....any ideas for that....maybe just 3 or 4.....we shall be 8 at the table

If you are near a Costco, Ella, (or Loblaws), get some Mozza sticks and/or jalapeno peppers from the freezer section. A shrimp ring with sauce is always a big hit if people like seafood and no work to it!

They also have the little mini quiches in the freezer section at Sam's. I have found them at Walmart before too. Four different flavors in one box.

Last edited:
Decision made!...lol.....Moussaka it is....now, how about sending me your T&T recipes.....t'will be greatly appreciated.....I'm also going to buy, not prepare, appetizers.....any ideas for that....maybe just 3 or 4.....we shall be 8 at the table

Oh boy, I just love Moussaka! My family don't like the aubergine so I don't make it often :(
You could also make a Mezze platter, just buy some good cold cuts like pastrami or parma ham, some nice plump olives, a few slices of good cheese, some veggies like cucumber, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, carrot strips etc. and serve with dips like Skordalia or Baba Ghanoush and slices of baguette or mini pita breads.
Quick and easy and it makes the dinner more hands on.

Justplainbilll, with all due respect, and I love that kind of meal, to me that's a brunch meal not a dinner. Also, I sorta forgot to tell everyone that our "kids" are adults in their 50's and our grandsons are in their 20's!!!....LOL

product_spanikopita_apollo.gif

Ella,
These are great if you can find them in your area. Just pop em in the oven for about 30 minutes.

If you're doing Moussaka for the main, it might be an idea to keep at least the entree Greek as well. I'm thinking olives, feta, bread, seafood, lemon.....

Zhizara said:
I'll be looking out for these. I love them!

Me too! My SIL always has them. We live in the middle of nowhere, so finding them at Walmart one time was a treat!

Back
Top Bottom