Who here cooks for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my own Catering business right now, well for last 7 years. 30 years ago my then hubster and I had an Italian restaurant here in NZ for 13 years where he introduced things like home cured bresaola, gnocchi, polenta etc to the country! I did desserts and fronted the restaurant. Then we returned to live in Italy and I stayed 10 years mostly working in cafes and restaurants.
I have no formal training at all..just love food!
I began the catering biz with airline food provided to a major internal airline at the time. Never again! Man was that the most boring and demanding work! We had people come measure and weigh our sandwiches sometimes, we had to make muffins from a premix :( , etc. Nope. Nasty stuff airline food as you have no control over what you can provide, all down to a common nationwide boring nasty recipe. lol
Except for the Bircher muesli recipe...but Mr Bircher would turn in his grave at the cream we added!!

No airline provides meals any longer in NZ. It was decided that there were not any flights long enough to warrant it, and I agreed. You cant fly an internal flight for longer than 2.5 hrs here. A cup of coffee and a sandwich suffices. Plus, the airline we catered went belly up one morning at 6 am. Most inconvenient and 3 staff members made redundant that day. We did corporate catering etc so have built on that. Now, I dont do weekends unless it is worthwhile and our Monday to Friday work sure keeps us outta trouble!
Looking to a new sideline outlet at the moment as well as increasing our Wheel Meal service.

As with many, no, unless you consider feeding your family and friends Pro (yes, I do know what you meant). As a young woman I thought I'd like to become a chef, but working as a waitress, and watching the pros at work, I knew I could quite literally not stand the heat. I don't perspire, I sweat bucket loads, and seriously have all I can do to get through a meal for a half dozen people without becoming rather gross. I have so much admiration for people who can be on their feet for the hours required, and not sweat so much that the food is ruined (really, when I sweat to the degree I'd need to in a professional kitchen, you wouldn't need to salt the food, just the sweat of my brow would do it). On top of it, I have to wear glasses. In a professional kitchen, I cannot see for the steam that forms on my glasses. Bravo, Brava to those of you who can spend hours doing it!!

eric said:
I went to culinary school in NYC and worked in a lot of places out there. Left when I had a baby. Very hard hours. Now, besides my job, I am a Personal Chef and teach at a Culinary School in Southern California

Where do you teach eric? I live in Southern California as well.

I am a "private chef" which can mean almost anything...what I do is dinner events for selected clients, and occasional brunches. I teach HS sept -may and in the summer I get my pro chef training and also help out a local bistro. I like the variety i have at present.

:) I am also a private chef I work only two months a year for the past ten years and its a very good paying job alot of stress but comfortable as well as I know all the quirks of the familly and their guests as well.I love this job as I still get to choose my menus and try new dishes I have been lucky so far in doing new recipes sometimes I hafto tweak them a bit but so far its turned out well.

I don't cook professionally, but I do volunteer teaching teaching in our church school, teaching cooking to children aged 10 to 14 in small groups. The goal to teach them how to look after themselves when they are on their own.

Not currently, though I cook everyday (id say 360 a year at least).

Im a here and there line cook, though Ive done prep work as well.

Back
Top Bottom