Who would you call gourmet detective of all times?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AGlorish

Assistant Cook
Here’s my top
Gourmet detectives
  • Nero Wolf
  • Hercule Poirot
  • Miss Marple
The bronze gets Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. Well she isn’t actually gourmet, she just drank vats of tea with little snack in each book.
Silver goes to another Agatha Christie's character Hercule Poirot. He not only liked to eat, but also cooked perfect dishes himself.
And the first place, of course, wins Nero Wolf – gourmet of all times. He’s the only character who got his own cookbook.

In Donna Leon's detective thrillers Cmmissario Guido Brunetti's wife Paula cooks the most mouthwatering Italian food. I'd rate both of them as Gourmet. She for the cooking. He for the relish with which he appreciates and eats it.:)

Donna Leon

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Nero liked to eat but Fritz, the butler, did all the cooking.

yes, but Nero new how to prepare all those tasty dishes he liked

Antny Bourdain has written three novels...dealing with who dunnit and suspense. A bit more up to date than the three you list, but they are entertaining reads...give em a try.

I have been a fan of crime novels and read quite a few, but I don't remember any character that particularly struck me as a gourmet, aside from Hercule Poirot. That must be an interesting concept, if someone were to start a new series with a new character, a gourmet sleuth!!:)

Csalt, I haven't read any of Donna Leon but her series with Commissario Brunetti sound quite interesting!! I must go look for it!!:-p

AGlorish said:
yes, but Nero new how to prepare all those tasty dishes he liked

I'm agreeing with your selection. A lot of the time Nero and Fritz argue overr the proper preparation.

urmaniac13 said:
I have been a fan of crime novels and read quite a few, but I don't remember any character that particularly struck me as a gourmet, aside from Hercule Poirot. That must be an interesting concept, if someone were to start a new series with a new character, a gourmet sleuth!!:)

Csalt, I haven't read any of Donna Leon but her series with Commissario Brunetti sound quite interesting!! I must go look for it!!:-p

They really are very entertaining and a good read. You might recognise some of the places mentioned!

Sherlock Holmes ... he could smell or taste anything and know instantly what it was and it's origin! And, I would have to say that only second to the most honorable Mr. Holmes would be the American, Derek Flint - who also exhibited the same capabilities.

But, I have to go with Robo - if you're talking contemporary real people - Anthony Bourdain for prepared dishes, Pete Luckett - "The Food Hunter" or the "Traveling Green Grocer" as he is sometimes called who really knows his fresh fruits and vegetables, and who could ignore Rachel Ray with her $40-a-day and her soda fountain trained culinary pallet?

I can afford RR's cuisine and enjoy eating it. She is the portrayl of a modern American Woman career/homemaker in 2007.

Does anyone remember the TV series with Robert Wagner, his wife & Max (their care taker)? They either begin or ended the show in the kitchen cooking. And they either begin or ended the show snuggling. It was on the air several years.

escoffier. he's our leader of modern culinary. he changed dining. read & you'lll see. he was so important that he was written into an initial test at culinary school.

Last edited:
StirBlue said:
Does anyone remember the TV series with Robert Wagner, his wife & Max (their care taker)? They either begin or ended the show in the kitchen cooking. And they either begin or ended the show snuggling. It was on the air several years.

Hart to Hart. It ran from 1979 to 1984. After the series ended, they did a few TV movies with the same characters in 1994, 1995, and 1996.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom