Who's ready for pumpkin pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bethzaring said:
VeraBlue,

What is in the Libby's can of pumpkin is a Dickinson Field squash which belongs to a species known as Cucurbita moschata, this is the butternut squash family, not a pumpkin family. Pumpkins are of the Cucurbita pepo family.

Nothing illegal or unethical about it, it is government sanctioned, approved

All pumpkins are squashes.

It seems like we've gotten into semantics here. According to the Libby's site, it's pure pumpkin, a dickinson..as you stated. According to the pumpkin patch website, it states that all pumpkins are squashes. It also lists the dickinson field as a pumpkin, genus and species excluded, but a pumpkin, nevertheless.

I began this thread out of a love of pumpkin...the kind I cook with, and all it's different varieties. I'm going to keep to my original opinion that pumpkin is what is in the Libby's can, knowing that all pumpkins are squashes. I've checked two different websites and I don't see how anything I've already said is incorrect.

Now, if you'd like to tell us about your favourite pumpkin gig, I'm sure we'd all love to hear about it. I know I would...but I just don't see the squash argument going anywhere.:ermm:

Hi Vera
Just to lighten the thread... can I say that I really HATE pumpkins?!!!
When in Australia I swear that if I get offered another side dish of pumpkin or pumpkin soup, I swear I'll boak! :chef: :)

Ishbel said:
if I get offered another side dish of pumpkin or pumpkin soup, I swear I'll boak! :chef: :)

:LOL: Ishbel, I never heard that expression before, but the meaning is perfectly clear!

BethZaring, that is a beautiful harvest of Butternut Squash! Wow! You're quite a farmer.
In the south they call all kinds of winter squash pumpkin. And speaking of Libby's Pie Pumpkin, the recipe on their label for pumpkin pie is the best, I think.

Here is my Grandma Snarr’s Pumpkin Bread:

2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs; beaten
2/3 cup margarine
2 cups pumpkin
3 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2/3 cups water; room temperature
2/3 cups nuts; chopped
2/3 cup raisin

Cream sugar and shortening thoroughly. Add eggs, pumpkin and water; mix well. Sift and measure flour, add all the dry ingredients, and sift into pumpkin mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts. Turn into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until done. May take 5 or 10 minutes more. Cool 10 minutes in pans. Let stand a while before cutting. Freezes well.

Constance - it's an old Scots (Lallans) word meaning 'to heave' 'to induce to vomit'...!!!! :)

VeraB - I hope you don't mind me lightening the mood - I thought you'd started a perfectly innocuous thread that seems to have become bogged down in the detail!:LOL:

Ishbel said:
Constance - it's an old Scots (Lallans) word meaning 'to heave' 'to induce to vomit'...!!!! :)

VeraB - I hope you don't mind me lightening the mood - I thought you'd started a perfectly innocuous thread that seems to have become bogged down in the detail!:LOL:

Thank you Ishbel, indeed the urge to 'boak' was coming down heavily on all the details, indeed.

What a pity you don't care for pumpkin. Should you find yourself in the states in autumn, may I suggest you have many apple pies, instead?:whistling

Hey, VeraBlue, to me it is not semantics, to me they are very different fruits. I found a good description of the difference between pumpkins and squash. If a person goes to the grocery store to buy a squash to make a pumpkin pie from scratch, they will have a much better pie if they buy a butternut squash, not a pumpkin, because remember, Libby puts butternut squash in their pumpkin cans. :ROFLMAO:

Q. What is the difference between a pumpkin and a squash? I need to know so I can impress all of my ghostly friends on Halloween.
A. The genetic history of the pumpkin is so intertwined with the squash and the gourd that it's sometimes difficult to tell them apart. Generally speaking a pumpkin is something you carve, a squash is something you cook and a gourd is something you look at. Though it's really not that simple, it's also not that difficult. The answer is in the stem.
Pumpkins and squashes and gourds all belong to the same genetic family - Cucurbita. Within that family are several species or subgroups - Cucurbita pepo, Cucurbita maxima and Cucurbita moschata.

The pepo species is usually recognized as the true pumpkin. Varieties within this group have bright orange skin and hard, woody, distinctly furrowed stems. But the group also includes gourds, vegetable marrow, Pattypan summer squash, scallop summer squash, gray and black zucchini and summer crookneck squash.

The maxima species also contains varieties that produce pumpkin-like fruit but the skin is usually more yellow than orange and the stems are soft and spongy or corky, without ridges and without an enlargement next to the fruit. They don't really make good handles for jack-o'-lanterns. Varieties such as Atlantic Giant, Big Max and Show King are often listed as pumpkins but are more properly called pumpkin-squash or squash- type pumpkins. Other members of the maxima group are Hubbard squashes, banana squashes, buttercup squashes and turban squashes - in short, most autumn and winter squash.

Finally, there's the moschata species. Varieties in this group are usually long and oblong instead of round and have tan rather than orange skin. The stems are deeply ridged and enlarged next to the fruit. Ironically, a member of this group is used for much of the canned pumpkin sold in this country. Other non-pumpkin members include the squash-like cushaw, winter crookneck squash and butternut squash.

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/web.html

Toots said:
This is a great idea - do you use canned pumpkin and just stir it in as the oatmeal is thickening up?

I am also a pumpkin lover!

I make my oatmeal in the microwave so after it has finished cooking (with the spice and some sweetner), I stir in some big spoonfuls of canned pumpkin, a little more milk and heat it up again.

There's not many breakfasts that are healthier than this. :cool:

Halfbaked,
Now that autumn is just about here, I'll be preparing hot cereal again, every day for my customers. I like your idea and have a feeling it will be a big seller.

I think I'll make the sign read "halfbaked pumpkin spice oatmeal" Since I serve all the hot cereals with toppings, I think I'll push this one with the almond granola..
I hope you approve.

VeraBlue said:
Thank you Ishbel, indeed the urge to 'boak' was coming down heavily on all the details, indeed.

What a pity you don't care for pumpkin. Should you find yourself in the states in autumn, may I suggest you have many apple pies, instead?:whistling

I've visited the US many times and have honestly TRIED to like pumpkin pie (one hostess was positively ASTOUNDED when I said I didn't like PP and insisted that I'd enjoy hers - I didn't! :angel: ) So I normally stick to apple pie or cherry pie when in the US!

Mind you, I'm not sure that many Americans would like the Scottish delicacy known as Clootie Dumpling, either...:ROFLMAO:

I use the Libby's canned pumpkin in all my pumpkin dishes. I find it is much more consistent than raw pumpkins. It doesn't matter to me what the heritage or genus is - I like it and will keep using it. Also, I see no need to get into a battle of semantics about what it is.

Half Baked said:
Why, that's even better than having a sandwich named after me. :LOL:

Especially if the sandwich was white fish, cream cheese, onions and capers! (don't know if you watch Curb Your Enthusiasm or not...)

licia said:
I use the Libby's canned pumpkin in all my pumpkin dishes. I find it is much more consistent than raw pumpkins. It doesn't matter to me what the heritage or genus is - I like it and will keep using it. Also, I see no need to get into a battle of semantics about what it is.

Bless you licia, that is precisely one of the points I have been feebly trying to make!!! You are correct in stating that Libby's canned pumpkin is more consistent than raw pumpkins. It is butternut squash in those cans of pumpkin. So if you would like to make pumpkin pies from scratch, buy butternut squash. I am just trying to help folks avoid disappointment and to save precious time and effort.

And thanks for the oatmeal tip, I never would have thought to try that!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=35939
My family loves pumpkin everything!!I posted the link for the Bisquick impossibly Easy Pumpkin Pie because it is so easy and I can make it quick enough to cure cravings.Last year I had made Pumpkin biscuits from a recipe at this site which was a big hit too.Harry and David's offers a Pumpkin butter in the fall and winter months that is very good-a jar of it only lasts a week in this house.It is on the sweet side but, the spices are a nice balance.
OK that's my two cents!!!Love and energy to you all!!Vicki

for HalfBaked

I had my admin make the sign for a new breakfast special today

HalfBaked Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
**try it with the almond granola**

I'll serve it on Tuesday. I originally planned for Monday, but I'm taking Monday off and I want to be there when it's prepared and served.

Thanks again for a great idea!

What is your recipe for your cupcakes?

JoAnn L. said:
One of my favorites is pumpkin cupcakes. And I am so in the mood for a nice warm apple pie. I was at a store today and they had a dish that you bake the apple pie in. The one were it show the recipes printed right in the dish. They also had one for the pumpkin pie. They were regular $9.99 on sale for $6.99. I just might go back tomorrow and get one. It would also make a nice gift. :)

Pumpkin Cupcakes

It's a nice and easy recipe..

1 pkg.Spice Cake Mix (dry)
1--15oz. can Libbys pumpkin
3 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup water

Blend all in a large bowl until moistened. Beat on med. speed 2 minutes. Pour batter into 24 paper lined muffin cups. Fill 3/4 full. Bake 350 for 16 to 21 minutes or until done. Cool in pans 10 minutes and cool on a rack. Frost with a cream cheese frosting. :)

Back
Top Bottom