Wish I had a foodie friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Does anyone have the problem I'm facing right now? I've moved to the small-town midwest, and I love to cook and eat. It is a rather cosmopolitan, touristy town, with lots of retired and vacationing Chicagoans living here or having part-year homes. Yet I've found, some how, that I do not have a single friend who truly enjoys eating. Maybe it is because of my military background, but once upon a time, if I called a half dozen friends and said, let's do Indian (Vietnamese, Hungarian, Morrocan) everyone would be scuttling for their cookbooks and borrowing spices, and we'd talk about the meal for weeks before and months after. NOW even if I make it all, everyone (especially the women) come over and move food around their plates and do NOT eat. Thought I was being too exotic, but found that even the basics will have these women just moving food around. Really paid attention and one only eats junk food, another in anorectic nevosa, and most are so paranoid about their weight that they only eat in secret.

Right now I'm dreaming of a good green Thai curry. Luckily I married well, and at least my husband will enjoy it. But I miss the days when I could find someone to invite over to try it. Now everyone has some reason why they cannot eat something. It's a pretty sorry affair. I have two coupons for free subscriptions to Saveur and Gourmet mags, and it is sad that I can't think of anyone to give them to ....

you have us claire. i know we can't actually eat with you, but we can try to fulfill the comraderie and common iinterests in food part. :D

Hi Claire.

Perhaps you might sign up for a cooking class to learn a new cuisine you'd like to master. You can meet lots of great adults with similar interests.

Start a cooking class in your home, & post fliers around or outside your immediate neighborhood, your church or temple, or run a local ad in the newspaper. Teach a cooking class at an Adult School or Community College.

Have a (theme?) party, & ask folks to bring their favorite dish. Doubt they'll push away their own fixins, & maybe they'll be more open to trying something new. Before you know it, maybe everyone will be exchanging recipes. Keep some index cards & pencils handy.

Have an informal get-together/recipe swap party & serve your best super-duper hor de ouvres. People just may oooh & ahhh, & ask for your recipe.

Scan your local newspaper to get an idea of what's going on relating to your interests.

& Don't forget to invite me.

Hope this gives you some food for thought. Let us know how it turns out. Best of luck.

Mish's ideas are fantastic - I know you'll find someone that way!
Please tell us how you do!
and Buckytom is right - we'll always be there for you!

Hey Mish - where in CA?

jkath said:
Mish's ideas are fantastic - I know you'll find someone that way!
Please tell us how you do!
and Buckytom is right - we'll always be there for you!

Hey Mish - where in CA?

Thanks jkath. I'm in So California as well. Have read/enjoyed your posts/input too - as well as so many nice/intelligent folks here. What a small world after all. (Please don't get me started humming that tune, LOL.)

Oh, another note to Claire, could also post your interests on a local market bulletin board.

I'd like to find more folks in my area that enjoy dining out & exploring new cusines. Great way to meet other people with common interests.

Think it was Deadly Sushi(?) that was interested in finding/dating/meeting new people. There used to be a group of singles that met every so often, in getting together at different restaurants, where you could get together at a table & meet lots of folks over a meal.

Another I recall seeing on tv was a club? about speed dating. All the singles met at a designated place, restaurant? bar?; & when the whistle blew, everyone would change tables & spend a few minutes getting to know one another in a short time-span. Don't know if that's your cup of tea...but something you might want to check out in your local newspaper.

Claire....sure wished you lived by me cause I'd def.be interested in coming over. I may be on the small side but when I'm hungry or something taste good to me I can put some serious food away :D . I miss living in the city and having people stop by all the time. It always seemed like food ended up being involved. But living here in the country we don't get as much company. I sure can't wait for this house to sell and we move back to the city. I'm def. not a country gal.

SizzlininIN said:
Claire....sure wished you lived by me cause I'd def.be interested in coming over. I may be on the small side but when I'm hungry or something taste good to me I can put some serious food away :D . I miss living in the city and having people stop by all the time. It always seemed like food ended up being involved. But living here in the country we don't get as much company. I sure can't wait for this house to sell and we move back to the city. I'm def. not a country gal.

Hi Sizzlin,
I've always lived in a big city, & find now I might prefer a more remote/woodsy area with access to the city. This is the second time, I want to put my home up for sale, due to previous earthquake damage here in So. California, & one cannot find a property for 1/4 million $, that is decent to live in. Think, if I have to deal w one more licensed contractor, I wanna scream. The gas prices out here are insane, because it's California ranging from $1.29, 1.39, 1.49. When you live in a big city, everything, cost of living is very high. In keeping things in prospective, I try to focus on all the great things I have, & am truly Thankful for. Seems like the grass is always greener on the other side. But, not necessarily. Guess one has to weigh out the pros & cons...& most of all be happy.

i have this issue, too, claire.
i stumbled upon gourmet foods, then fine wines, VERY early on. by the time i was 11 years old, i was cooking for my family.
at 21, i enrolled myself in some wine-tasting courses.
i do a great deal of research on foods that are new to me, or that i have yet to try but am interested in trying. many of the people that i know would choose a cheeseburger or steak over my very favorite carpaccio or sushi; none of them are as interested in cooking and fine dining as i am.
i have been wanting to try escargot for a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time now, but my boyfriend is a big 'ol baby about trying new things, and refuses to split an order with me. the JERK.
it's doubly frustrating when it comes to really upscale restaurants that offer innovative and unique menus, and also when i want sushi. nobody wants to try these places out with me. i don't want to go all alone, so i miss out on a lot of places that i want to try, and end up pushing aside my food cause it just isn't that tasty-looking.
i'm a food-snob. bigtime.
i DO have one friend whom is Italian and knows good food, but she is not open to trying new foods. still... she will down some foods that i'd have to talk the others into trying, but still. what's a gal to do when all of her pals are non-foodies?
i need a foodie friend, too.
i suppose we're just a unique and brave breed.

My God, what a response!!! For most of you, I've already tried most of the things you suggest. If any of you are heading to Galena, consider letting me know!

Oh, by the way, any time I've attempted a "theme party" here it was a great success socially, but in cuilinary terms a dismal failure! I once said "eastern european" and got "middle eastern" sort of. When I mentioned tapas, I got the kind of appetizers you get at a rotary club meeting. Basically, where I live, everyone I know make great appetizers. They are delicous. But no one seems to enjoy sitting down to a meal, and no one enjoys looking up a recipe that goes with a theme.

They are great people, though, so I can't complain much. My biggest complaint is that my artichoke/parm recipe is so beloved that when I arrive at parties I hear "the artichokes have appeared!!!!" and everyone gathers around, and the dip is gone in a few minutes. Obviously that isn't much of a complaint. Just wish someone around here enjoyed sitting down to dinner and trying something new. Well, hell, got them eating artichokes, must be doing something right?

I would have a similar problem here, but luckily I have coworker that grew up in San Francisco and also is Italian. So, we always have lots to talk about regarding food and recipes. She and I love to go to Reno, NV and hit the international market. The archaeologist at my work is also Italian and is really into Basque food. If I was near where you live, Claire, I would love to try some of your dishes.

SC :)

Back
Top Bottom