Your Christmas menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I forgot an important item. My Mom started the tradition about two years before she passed away and I have continued it. We are not French Canadian, but we always have homemade tourtiere on Christmas Day. (If you don't know what that is Arwen, it is a pork and beef pie). We used to also have a Christmas salad made with dates, apple, marshmallows, grapes and a cooked salad dressing folded with whipped crean; however with everyone having different diets (lactose, diabetic, etc.) and it being so rich, we stopped making this a few years ago.

Thnks a lot dear LP for your answer!I love hearing about your traditions!!!

Not sure what Christmas will bring here. The extended family will be at my home the day after for our celebration. That will be home made pizza. We just fill out the day munching on all the Christmas goodies everyone has made or received. I'll make spiced cider as well. Usually we go to my son's restaurant for a meal Christmas Eve but may change that to Christmas Day this year since it will just be the immediate family.

I'd like to work in a Restaurant...ufortunatetely I don't have any Cook or Chef Certificate ...howerver I am very good at preparing pizza....:pig::LOL:
I'd like to taste spiced cider..it sounds delicious!!:-p

I'm still not sure exactly what we're having.

There will be either a turkey (have 3 in the freezer right now!) or Martha Stewart's double roast chickens.
2 sides from last year will most certainly be on the table:
Orzo Risotto Recipe at Epicurious.com
Butternut Squash With Sage and more delicious recipes, smart cooking tips, and video demonstrations on marthastewart.com
I think I'll do a soup too, and probably my mom's bread rolls (besides being delicious, they're awesome because you can make them the day before and they rise in the fridge):
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showpost.php?p=291535&postcount=3

As for desert, friend just told me about a Bailey's cheesecake that sounds so delicious!!

The only time my mother, brother, sister-in-law, etc. can get to gether is the 21st so we will celebrate then. I am having smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, bread, stuffing, and I am sure I will add something. It's not on Christmas but it will be for us on that day :)

The only time my mother, brother, sister-in-law, etc. can get to gether is the 21st so we will celebrate then. I am having smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, bread, stuffing, and I am sure I will add something. It's not on Christmas but it will be for us on that day :)

Jayde, we are also celebrating early on DH's side of the family (the 14th). Christmas is not a day but a feeling of family and rejoicing. I hope your day is very special.

We're having a smoked ham, killer baked bean casserole, twice baked potatoes, oyster dressing, fresh broccoli and dinner rolls. I haven't decided about the desert yet.

I'll also cook appetizers with puff pastry,smoked salmon, vegetable mouse,ham,ricotta cheese,tuna and olives;as far as cakes concern I think I'll make a sort of multi-tasting muffins with grounded almonds,sultanas,grounded pistachios,vanilla powder,honey,butter,eggs,coconut flour, grounded amaretti bisquits,dark chocolate and pumpkin mousse.

I started a tradition a few years ago, Prime Rib Roast, Salad, Potatoes and Green Beans, Honey Glazed Carrots and French Bread.
This year I have to wait until the sale flyer's come out after payday to decide what to have this year. I would love to stuff a ham and a turkey, but it will probably just be Turkey and the usual trimmings.

Christmas Eve will mostly be spent at work until about 6 or 7 - - Boss loves to play Santa and always brings his private stash of some favorite wines **woohoo**.

Not sure at all what Christmas Eve will bring as way of foods.

Christmas Day is spent at SIL's who prefers a mish-mash of stuff. Sometimes she wants me to bring my BBQ Chicken, another year it was a tomato soup (FIL's fav so far). This year...I'm just not sure. May do the soup and something else.

It will be just the 2 of us, so I'm thinking of duck breast with an orange sauce. What would go well with this? Please help!!!

Oddly enough, Essie, I just made this (all for myself :pig:) and did one of my favorite sides--Brussels sprouts sauteed in duck fat. All it needs is salt and pepper, but if a little of the orange sauce makes its way over to the sprouts, well, all the better. This time I just roasted potatoes, but usually do a risotto or pilaf.

With duck I also like plain buttered brussel sprouts or broccoli, & buttered egg noodles. Glazed turnips or some carrots for color are also nice. I've also enjoyed shredded butter-sauteed cabbage with a dash of caraway seed with duck as well.

i just found out that i have to work, so i'm gonna go in late , then dw and my boy will come in to visit me. we'll got see the tree in rock center, and go out for dinner from there. we'll have to see what's open.

The Christmas Eve menu is... up to someone else! Not at our house this year :mrgreen:

img_745885_0_ed67f28d6a302a20a50ad4bba0d11d72.gif

Our family tradition has always been tourtiere on Christmas Eve, as well. I grew up in a town that had lots of French Canadians living there. We lived in New York State, not far from the Canadian border. Anyway, I always make the pie and on Christmas Day, my daughter takes care of the dinner. Last year, it was individual Beef Wellingtons. Yum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom