Your eating style - relaxed or frenzied?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a really slow eater. It is why I hate to eat out at restaurants. While I am just getting to my third bite, the rest are out on the sidewalk yelling "Taxi!" I am always bringing home a doggie bag.

I do get overwhelmed when there is too much food on my plate. The only times I do remember not bringing home a doggie bag were the two times I ate at Spago's in California. I managed to finish the two crab cakes I ordered. They were more than enough. I passed on the salad. :angel:

I eat very slowly no matter what or where. Prefer my food served scald-you-hot so that it's still warm when I get to my last bite. I just blow on forkfuls when I first start.

True fact: DH and I were at King's Arm Tavern in Williamsburg. He was just about finished with his meal, mine was not quite half gone. Our server (who was not rushing us) asked if I would like my remaining portion wrapped. Said to him "no, I'm just a slow eater". DH's head was bobbing like one of those old dog statues people would put on the dashboard of their car!:ROFLMAO: Fill up fast, get hungry fast - what can I say?

lol, wow, what an old thread. my "baby" is almost 5 feet tall and over 100 pounds now.

and i still eat pizza too fast. :(

:LOL: He is probably ready for middle school soon!

I eat much too fast, and Hubby eats really slow. Sometimes I will start eating and then get up to get a drink or a napkin or something and return so that I have a little break in the middle, and so that I am more at pace with him. :pig:

Breakfast and lunch are frenzied.

At breakfast I'm rushing to get to work.

At lunch I usually eat while I'm working or stop just long enough to gobble.

I spend most of my days off in my shop so its the same. I hate to stop what I'm doing in order to eat.

Dinners are leisurely. That's usually when I begin to wind down.

Goldilocks would fall asleep waiting for Caitlin and I to finish dinner! Hubby gets up sometimes and says it's too painful to watch lol!

At work, I start eating lunch at 11 finishing about 1...I eat at my desk and am still typing while I take a bite here and there.

I tend to eat much slower than DH. Like others have said before me, I like my food very hot or very cold .. not lukewarm. And I like to taste and enjoy my food. DH is the opposite ... like a steam shovel .. scoop it up and it's gone. I can watch him eat something, ask how he liked it and he will look me right in the eye and say he didn't have any of that LOL

Of course he came from a large family and the quickest hands got the most food .. he just never got over that.

Last edited:
At work, I start eating lunch at 11 finishing about 1...I eat at my desk and am still typing while I take a bite here and there.

You should know better. Any chance of getting up from your desk and eating somewhere else? Where you sit down and concentrate on your meal? Not your work? :angel:

I eat like a wolf. I am the youngest of three boys, so growing up I had to eat whatever I could as quickly as possible to ensure my own survival. Often times, the youngest/weakest sibling ends up dying due to starvation. It seems cruel, but it is nature. Now that I am older and fully capable of fending off my meal from others, I still eat in the same manner. I know it isn't healthy to gulp down food but I see little point in spending 1-2 hours finishing off a plate. We're at completely opposite extremes.

I eat like a wolf. I am the youngest of three boys, so growing up I had to eat whatever I could as quickly as possible to ensure my own survival. Often times, the youngest/weakest sibling ends up dying due to starvation. It seems cruel, but it is nature. Now that I am older and fully capable of fending off my meal from others, I still eat in the same manner. I know it isn't healthy to gulp down food but I see little point in spending 1-2 hours finishing off a plate. We're at completely opposite extremes.

If that's the way you are comfortable eating, that's what matters.

On the other hand, I look at eating a meal as more than a refueling stop. It should be a time to relax and socialize. To share your day, your thoughts, etc. If you're eating alone, relax and catch up on posts here at DC while you're eating.

A friend of my aunt grew up in an orphanage during the 1920s or 1930s. Not only did she eat quickly, but she ate all the courses at once. Nothing like a hot fudge sundae as the side dish to you BLT! She must have been in her 50s when Aunt T. and I went to lunch with her and she still ate that way because it's the way she learned growing up.

If that's the way you are comfortable eating, that's what matters.

On the other hand, I look at eating a meal as more than a refueling stop. It should be a time to relax and socialize. To share your day, your thoughts, etc. If you're eating alone, relax and catch up on posts here at DC while you're eating.

I have a little wooden TV table my daughter gave me for Christmas one year. I use it for everything. Writing, reading, etc. I eat all my food there while I watch TV. When I am done, if I feel like it, I come back to the computer. I use to eat at the computer. I found that I lost interest in the food real quick and never finished what little food I had prepared. So I stop doing that. :angel:

Jeez, where were your parents? lol

There's a range of times between 1 minute and 1 hour. Take it easy and enjoy your food.

Luckily, DH and I eat at about the same pace, which I'd say is average. I likd to enjoy what I've prepared and have a nice conversation as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom