Your favorite restaurants off the beaten path...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Favorite Restaurants

fried fish said:
goodgiver said:
Hey Fried Fish where are you from. There is one near me by the some name. I am near Gettysburg, PA. My favorite out of the way is a place called Famous Lunch. Excellant food at a good price. And oh my those hot dogs.
I'm from western ny... south of Buffalo.. there is a place called Tom's BBQ Pit down there?

:LOL: Norgeskog... there are a lot of "off the beaten path" places around me too!

What I meant is that the entire city of Eugene is off the beaten path...

my small town is off the beaten path too, though we do have some good restaurants! And, a couple new ones opened up within the last month.

There are a total of 2 restaurants in the town where I live & they are both owned by the same family & they are beside each other. I have never been to either one of then They both look like you could die of a heart attack by just driving through the parking lot! :shock:

crewsk said:
There are a total of 2 restaurants in the town where I live & they are both owned by the same family & they are beside each other. I have never been to either one of then They both look like you could die of a heart attack by just driving through the parking lot! :shock:
oh, a couple of greasy spoons, eh? What is that one place that you take your kids to on Wednesday nights?

Those 2 places look worse than greasy spoons! :shock: :LOL:

It's called Joe's or Easley Ice Cream Parlor. Easley is the town where I grew up & my parents still live there.

Sounds like a place outside of town going towards Buffalo. It's called Aldrich's. They are known for their ice cream sundaes and hamburgers!
yum.gif

Joe's is known for their hot dogs & hamburgers more than the ice cream. But they do have an awesome hot fudge cake! It's in the center of town & has been there since the 60's I think. :?

OK, I want a hot fudge cake now!!! :LOL:

crewsk said:
Joe's is known for their hot dogs & hamburgers more than the ice cream. But they do have an awesome hot fudge cake! It's in the center of town & has been there since the 60's I think. :?

OK, I want a hot fudge cake now!!! :LOL:
**drool** (here I go again) I think they have a brownie sundae. They take a warm brownie and top off with your ice cream of choice, then hot fudge.... and of course whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles and a cherry.

fried fish said:
my small town is off the beaten path too, though we do have some good restaurants! And, a couple new ones opened up within the last month.

Eugene has a lot of local restaurants that are absolutely great some ****, and also some national chains.

Gee, hard to pick just one. (Some are from memory, since it’s been awhile). Not all are off the beaten path, but here's some of my favorites:

Le Petite Chateau – French – always ordered the duck

Solley’s & Art's Deli – great deli – (a little high-priced IMO) Everything from a brisket sand to chopped liver

Siam Cabin – Thai Food – great pad-thai noodle, moo shu, sizzling beef or chicken & dumplings, Thai iced coffee

Cheesecake Factory – just about anything

Tony Roma’s - ribs n block of onion rings

Any Falafel stand in Hollywood

TGIF – Stuffed baked potato skins, all the appetizers

Spago – Always ordered the salmon & shared pizza appetizers

Alice’s Restaurant – Malibu (don’t know if it’s still around)

Dar Maghreb – Moroccan – B’stilla (we had several dishes, don’t know the names, but they kept on coming - if you don’t mind sitting on the floor with no utensils)

Shimone (sp?) – Japanese – huge plates of teriyaki combos & sushi

The Red Lobster’s Lobster & the yummy biscuits

Vitello’s – Italian – Pretty fairly priced, liked the linguine n clams, carbonara, any pasta & sauce of choice, calzone
Used to be a favorite hang-out years before the Robert Blake incident. Sadly having read the place turned into a tourist attraction, have to think twice about going back.

The Potsticker in San Francisco -Lemon Chicken & potstickers (of course)

Sure there are many I’m forgetting. There’s so much to pick from in So. California.

mmm mish, I love the biscuits at Red Lobster too! We have one here, I'm just waiting for an Olive Garden!
yum.gif

another place is about 40 min outside of town called Rosie's . They have the best waffles, and great steaks!

buckytom said:
i wonder what you can get in alice's restaurant (in malibu)? :D

I know you know this one BT :D
"You can get anything you want..."

If I recall correctly, there was an Alice's in Malibu on the Pier, everything from seafood to boigas. Any restaurant overlooking Malibu is a treat. There may be one in Westwood (College town), a pretty varied menu including burgers. I'm going back aways, so hope I got it right. Other restaurants I recall on the beach - Moby Dick's - at the end of the Santa Monica Pier - the best lobster - may have been washed away - Moonshadows & the Chart House on PCH - another wonderful romantic dining experience - & surf n turf.

Oh, yes...Olive Garden -another great place. There's a restaurant around called Tiramisu...I don't dare go in, because it is my favorite dessert. So many wonderful eateries.

I recall an ice cream parlor around Hollywood Blvd? called CC Brown's. Fantastic mom n pop operation? with oodles of ice cream combos.

Many years ago, my aunt in NY worked for a company called Restaurant Associates?. She & her staff went to every big opening of every big restaurant (i.e. back then Forum of the Seven Caesars, the Four Seasons, etc.) & got to sample every dish, including a huge dessert cart, before the restaurant opened. Is that a great job or what!!!

There's a place near me that seats only 36 bodies [not counting the bar]. The specials menu is just a few shy of the regular menu which is just 21 items. Great food, reasonable prices, FANTASTIC service. I love VARNEY'S! And BTW they pack out at dinnertime.

I spoke of Pizzolanti's before on theis list. Its a small family restaurant outside of Buffalo in Farnham, NY...or is it Irving? Both are equally small towns. One has a water tower, the other has the post office LOL

Pizzolanti's chef is a woman close to her 90's! Real down home atmosphere and a train will run by and rattle everything if you plan your dinner right.

Its for sale too!

There is a place over here called McDonalds. They are cheap and good, but very fattening. If you ever get around the Chicago area, I'll take ya there! ;)

GetMeTheBigKnife said:
I spoke of Pizzolanti's before on theis list. Its a small family restaurant outside of Buffalo in Farnham, NY...or is it Irving? Both are equally small towns. One has a water tower, the other has the post office LOL

Pizzolanti's chef is a woman close to her 90's! Real down home atmosphere and a train will run by and rattle everything if you plan your dinner right.

Its for sale too!
We used to have a place in Jamestown like that, and I can't for the life of me remember what the name of it was. It's been gone now for almost 15 years. The owners were a little old italian couple, and she did all the cooking. 3 of their grandchildren did the serving and helping out in the kitchen. He was the host, bartender, and cashier. That place, too, only seated about 40 people. I have never had spaghetti so good in my life. And the garlic bread.. omg.. crunchy outside with garlic butter and parmesan cheese mixed in... chewy inside. **drool**

Back
Top Bottom