YOUR traditional Easter Dinner and Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kadesma said:
Pa,
ginger-orange cranberries, that sounds so good. Anything special you do? I have some cranberries in the freezer that I'd love to use..Would love an idea on amounts, please:)

kadesma

I'm glad you think it sounds good, kads! It's really, really, easy. I always make a huge batch because they're so good with/on all sorts of things and last a very long time in the fridge.

2 c white sugar
4 c cranberries
2 c water
Grated fresh ginger and orange zest (grated with a microplane, if you have one), to taste. (I'm a bigger fan of ginger than I am of citrus so I use more ginger and just enough citrus to cut through)

In a deep pan, combine sugar and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, and boil for 5 minutes. Add cranberries, ginger and orange zest. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until mixture begins to thicken. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate, covered, overnight.

I always let the mixture cook over the heat longer than I think I should. It seems to take awhile to thicken. No two batches are ever the same, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a good 20 minutes. Just stir often.

kadesma said:
My children dictate the menu each year, this Easter, it will be before hand,prosciutto,tapenade,basil on toasted crisp baguette rubbed with evoo and garlic,gorgonzola cream put into belgian endive leaves and topped with toasted walnets,my dad's avocado dip and thinly sliced sour dough bread, if time permits dried apricotsstuffed with some cream cheese and walnuts then drizzeled with honey. A sprial sliced ham basted with honey,butter,cloves,cinnamon and a little oj or pineapple juice, au gratin potatoes, roasted asparagus with evoo,salt and pepper and then wrapped in a slice of parma ham and shaved parmesan on top, fruit salad, homemade rolls,chocolate cream pie and cream puffs..

kadesma;)

Good gracious that sounds good. And what time would you like us to be there? ;)

evenstranger said:
Good gracious that sounds good. And what time would you like us to be there? ;)
We dine at 6 come with a big appetite:LOL:

kadesma

:)
We are going out, for lunch, to a Chinese or Italian restaurant.
In the evening, I will make a Greek salad.
I will also make a cake, from a receipe that somebody on Discuss Cooking gave. It is a cinnamon cake. I will also add coffee and brandy liquir and walnuts and nutmeg. To serve, I will pour some Baileys Irish cream over it.

Mel

We are invited to friends' home for dinner. It will be about 18-20 of us and I think they are preparing Ham. The rest of us are waiting on our assignments, but the hosts are out of town. Hope they let us know soon, so we can shop and prepare whatever it is they want us to bring.

My menu is almost set in stone....almost.

Smoked Tomato Dip (Kadesma's)
Cranberry Crab Spread

Green Salad with Pear/Port Reduction and candied walnuts

Duck breasts
haven't picked a side for this yet

Lemon Buttermilk Pie
Strawberries macerated in honey & lime

I'm cooking at a friend's home and raiding his wine cellar while I'm at it... :)

Dove said:
Mudbug...
I saw an Angel food cake that looked so good....

Cut the cake into thirds
20 0z. can of crushed pineapple drain
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1 cup thawed cool whip
mix pudding with the pineapple juice
add the cool topping
frost the layers and top with fresh fruit. ( like blueberries and strawberries)

that does sound good, Marge. thanks for the idea!

Caine said:
Brandied Rabbit in Mustard Sauce*
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes*
Honey Dijon Glazed Baby Carrots*
Yogurt Biscuits* (made with self-rising flour!)
Angelfood Cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream

*Recipes available upon request

Feel free to PM me with any/all of the above. Every now and then we can get rabbit around here - I could probably order it if need be. Your first 3 items flow perfectly together!!!!! I can almost taste everything. Thanks in advance if you get a chance to send those recipes. You can skip the angel food cake - unless it's different than others. Thanks again.

Caine said:
Brandied Rabbit in Mustard Sauce*
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes*
Honey Dijon Glazed Baby Carrots*
Yogurt Biscuits* (made with self-rising flour!)
Angelfood Cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream

*Recipes available upon request

That sounds delicious!!! Would you mind PMing me the recipes? No worries if it's too much trouble to send them all.

mudbug said:
HH already bought a ham and invited guests, so I guess we're having ham and some other stuff. Angel food cake, most likely for dessert, or maybe an angel food cake/jello/custard trifle thing to use up the 900 cups of jello he also bought.

I always like sweet taters with ham so maybe some jazzed up version of those.

900 cups of Jello? Try this:

2 (3 ounce) packages lemon Jell-O
2 (3 ounce) packages lime Jell-O
2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry Jell-O
2 (3 ounce) packages orange Jell-O
24 ounces evaporated milk (3/4 cup for each flavour of jello used)

(You can use any variety of jello you want and as many as you want, but these just seem to go well together)

Mix 1 box of lemon jello with 3/4 cup boiling water and 3/4 cup cold water. Stir well and pour into a 9x13 tupperware container.

Let set a little while.

The next layer consists of the other box of lemon jello, but this time add 3/4 cup boiling water, let that sit until it's a bit cooler, add 3/4 cup evaporated milk, and mix together.

Pour onto the 1st layer in tupperware pan (that gives it a slightly different colour and taste).

Continue in this fashion with the each additional flavour of jello.

It should end up looking like this:
picxbRJiI.jpg

I haven't tried it yet but have been looking for a way to use the endless amount of Jello that has accumulated in my kitchen. It's also very pretty!

I'm making an easter dinner, but it's on Saturday evening, and more in celebration of the season of spring...

Stuffed zucchini

Stuffed leg of lamb - stuffed with cornbread, apricots and pignoli nuts

sauteed peas and baby carrots

potato gnocchi with a mushroom marsala sauce

Fresh pineapple upside down cake

also doing a stuffed leg of lamb, stuffed with spinach feta couscous mint and pine nuts. having roasted asparagus with caramelized onion and fenel, roasted tomatoes with basil and garlic, a gratin of potato celeriac leeks and parsnip. appys include homemade hummus (I've recieved the Syrian secret to great hummus.) olives dolmas cheeses, and desert is being brought by a guest...carrot cake and tapiocca pudding (yum).

Vera, that sounds great. I see you live in north Jersey as well. What time should I be there? :LOL:

We have Easter at lil sis #1's house. This year I was asked to do a ham which I'll glaze with honey, mustard and pineapple. Also she wants me to make deviled eggs and a loaf of bread. Her BF will be making a beef rib roast, lamb tenderloin and macaroni & cheese. Lil sis will be making the salads and asparagus.:)

CherryRed said:
Vera, that sounds great. I see you live in north Jersey as well. What time should I be there? :LOL:

Hi Cherry, dinner will probably be at 8. Nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom