Abroad - how adventurous are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really plan to turn up in the likes of Australia looking at some deserts , I have seen a bit of desert in Peru and I think they all look the same . I would probably look for populated areas which look interesting and a bit lively .
I tend to go for populated areas as well. But, I am flabbergasted at the comment that desserts would all look the same. That's like saying that mountains all look the same. I grew up near the Mojave desert in California. It's got some amazing flora and fauna.

If you are ever anywhere in the US near desert, do yourself a favour and find a short tour or get a local to show you. Check out this Google images search:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=US+d...=549#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=US+desert+vegetation

I tend to go for populated areas as well. But, I am flabbergasted at the comment that desserts would all look the same. That's like saying that mountains all look the same. I grew up near the Mojave desert in California. It's got some amazing flora and fauna.

If you are ever anywhere in the US near desert, do yourself a favour and find a short tour or get a local to show you. Check out this Google images search:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=US+d...=549#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=US+desert+vegetation

How did images of Africa get in there? And when you stand next to a saguaro and next to a ground cactus, you wonder how can they be in the same family. :angel:

How did images of Africa get in there? And when you stand next to a saguaro and next to a ground cactus, you wonder how can they be in the same family. :angel:
Google is automated. I searched for "US desert vegetation". That's what the first images showed. There were a lot of "first images". The one picture I found from the Sahara did qualify for the "desert vegetation" part of the search. The further along the search you go, the more extra stuff gets included in the results.

Google is automated. I searched for "US desert vegetation". That's what the first images showed. There were a lot of "first images". The one picture I found from the Sahara did qualify for the "desert vegetation" part of the search. The further along the search you go, the more extra stuff gets included in the results.

I started to laugh. Okay kids. I want you to find some photos of our dessert land out west and make a booklet. Imagine some kid using those photos for a geography lesson. :wacko: Explain that to the teacher. :angel:

I started to laugh. Okay kids. I want you to find some photos of our dessert land out west and make a booklet. Imagine some kid using those photos for a geography lesson. :wacko: Explain that to the teacher. :angel:
Well, it would be pretty poor research not to look at the individual pictures and see where they are from. I assume a booklet of pictures would be more useful if there are descriptions of the pix.

Yeah... or check out southern Utah - Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon. Monument Valley in Arizona. Colorado National Monument in western Colorado. Some truly fantastic scenery.

Thanks Tax and I did look at the pics which indeed are beautiful but I don't think deserts are my thing, I can appreciate the beauty I just wouldn't choose to spend time there . You were right they were very different to the Nazca desert I saw in Peru. However that was actually fascinating to see in real life because of the Inca drawings ( the Nazca Lines ) which can only be seen clearly from the sky . I was glad I did that trip , incredible experience .

We used the Klimt exhibition to show visitors around the city and have a cultural weekend , so we did the Art Gallery , Museum, maritime history, ferries , good restaurants etc but we did also throw in a visit to John Lennons house as most people are quite interested . I think a few people did like them I was too young myself .

You could always go into business doing whistle top tours of the British Isles for those who aren't interested in details . Just point to the North and shout Bagpipes, At Liverpool shout Beatles (muttering utter breath never liked them myself) , Wave your arms a lot around in the middle and shout Hills , more hills, leeks , daffodils somewhere , then point to the South and shout Big Ben .

I think there is a gap in the travel industry market you could clean up . ;)
It sounds like the apocryphal tale of the Americans doing Europe in a week:)

We had a guide like that in Greece once. This is the Acropolis, that's the Parthenon. Follow me to the bus to take us to see the guards at the parliament building (we didn't stop. She just waved vaguely at the window of the bus!)

Last edited:
Thanks Tax and I did look at the pics which indeed are beautiful but I don't think deserts are my thing, I can appreciate the beauty I just wouldn't choose to spend time there . You were right they were very different to the Nazca desert I saw in Peru. However that was actually fascinating to see in real life because of the Inca drawings ( the Nazca Lines ) which can only be seen clearly from the sky . I was glad I did that trip , incredible experience .

GQ, I agree that the Nazca desert in Peru is the ugliest land I've ever seen. The drive from the ship out to the airport looked like the surface of the moon with no sign of life at all. It was worth it to see the Nazca Lines from the air however. I'm not a desert fan either but at least in our USA deserts there are many signs of life. When the desert is in bloom it's spectacular!

There is a lot of American Native history in our deserts. We even have a tribe that is still living at the bottom on the Grand Canyon. :angel:

GQ, I agree that the Nazca desert in Peru is the ugliest land I've ever seen. The drive from the ship out to the airport looked like the surface of the moon with no sign of life at all. It was worth it to see the Nazca Lines from the air however. I'm not a desert fan either but at least in our USA deserts there are many signs of life. When the desert is in bloom it's spectacular!
It is hard to imagine the scale of these drawings. The picture on the left has a semi on the road in the foreground. The picture on the right is the "hummingbird" taken from the same altitude.

Attachments

• IMG_4718.jpg
    IMG_4718.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 172
Wow, Souschef, that is amazing!
...I'm not a desert fan either but at least in our USA deserts there are many signs of life. When the desert is in bloom it's spectacular!
That's for sure, Kayelle. A high school friend recently moved to Tucson, AZ. She's been posting photos on Facebook of all the desert flora - greenery, beautiful cacti in full flower. Amazing. AND she can keep it! Why? We moved our son out to Phoenix twice when he was going to college, and then went again to move him back to Ohio. First two trips were in August, the last was in July. I don't care how pretty cactus blossoms are, I wouldn't want to put up with the summer hot.

I must agree CG.....I'm such a wuss, I don't do intense heat or cold. Good thing I've always lived right here where I was planted. :cool:
But she did do Yellowstone in the winter. it was -26, and she said she put on a whole weeks clothes to go outside LOL

Attachments

• IMG_7104.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_7194.jpg
    IMG_7194.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 174

I did too, and still live in the Mojave desert! I'm where the Southern Sierras meet the desert. Where were you, if you don't mind my asking, Taxy? PM me if you'd rather. It's just not often that I meet anyone that grew up out here in this neck of the woods.... :ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
Yeah... or check out southern Utah - Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon. Monument Valley in Arizona. Colorado National Monument in western Colorado. Some truly fantastic scenery.

That is some AMAZING scenery there...I've seen it while on road trips and camping. Spectacular.

It is hard to imagine the scale of these drawings. The picture on the left has a semi on the road in the foreground. The picture on the right is the "hummingbird" taken from the same altitude.

I see it! Thanks for sharing!

But she did do Yellowstone in the winter. it was -26, and she said she put on a whole weeks clothes to go outside LOL

I can do hot weather more than cold...I lived in Montana for several months in the winter and froze half to death. :LOL: Sure is beautiful country there, though. Heaven on earth. :wub:

Back
Top Bottom