Abroad - how adventurous are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plans aren't for a few years yet, so I'll start saving now. I guess the pricey cost is due to the history of the park. I can understand that. I can do without a beer at a game if need be, but nothing beats watching a live game with a beer in one hand and a ball park dog in the other. :cool:

;) That's the American dream! :angel:

We are fairly adventurous, and my theory is if it does not move I will try it once. We ate the new herring in Amsterdam, and ate our way through Les Halles market in Lyon.
We had a lovely wedding lunch for 2 at Gallini, a small restaurant in Santorini with tables out on the beach
On our last cruise we took a 10 hour culinary tour through Lima that featured lunch and dinner.

Oh yes. I do remember reading about your culinary adventure in that part of the world. I would probably gone hungry at some of your stops. :angel:

If you have the time to spare, well worth going back and reading about their travels. :angel:

I remember being on the Hebridean Princess which cruised the Inner Hebrides Islands of Scotland. On our last night the captain piped in the Haggis, and recited Robert Burns poem "To a Haggis".
We were also served a "wee dram" of Scotch whisky. Two of the people at our table did not drink, so I ended up with three glasses in front of me.
I am sure it helped the taste of the haggis.

You need to put the link to your travels site back up. We have a lot of new members who are unaware of all the places you and your bride have been to. :angel:

GQ, I'm not trying to be ornery (although sometimes "it" just sneaks out...:huh: ) but there are several reasons why we haven't traveled overseas. For one, we actually prefer driving to flying. Himself is a generous 6' 2", my legs are exceedingly long for my stature, so neither one of us can travel comfortably in coach. Then there is the cost. First Class would be comfortable, but not to our budget. Last, the pilot is very unwilling to actually stop for me if I were to shout "look there! Can we stop and look around?" Himself and I enjoy the trip as much as the destination when we drive.

You mentioned that you haven't had the chance to visit the United States yet. As someone who has spent some "visiting time" in 34 states (as opposed to "pit stop time"), I can assure you that traveling in the United States affords you great opportunity to experience different cultures. Every region has its own distinct flavor, both food-wise and overall personality. English might be the common language in the US, but as a non-native living in MA for 15 years, I STILL have to ask the locals to translate what they are saying into "English". :LOL:

I would love to visit Europe. Himself's aunt, who recently passed at the age of 96, had visited 117 countries all over the world. She was a single career woman. We've raised and college educated two children. Somehow I think we missed the chance to explore countries in person, but it's all good.

What you say is so true CG. And I am one who says "See America First." It is such a large country. Granted to our northern friends, Canada is larger. But I really do no not have a strong hankering to go above the Artic Circle in order to visit and experience all aspects of life there. I would love to see just how "Native" the Inuits have been able to remain. But I do believe I can do that by way of Alaska. An no need to get a passport or other documentation. Each time I have gone cross country by car, it has always been by a different route. There is a lot of America I haven't seen yet. But due to health problems, I think my traveling days are over.

But for those who haven't been able to, please do "See America First." It will help our economy. :angel:

My American "To-Do List" includes
The Rockies,
New England in the fall (hackneyed, I know, but all those colours!)
The New England coast which looks very spectacular (in films, at least)
The Everglades
New York and San Francisco, of course, and Boston as I have to see where all that tea went :rolleyes:
The Klimt portrait of the "Woman in Gold" (or of Adele Bloch-Bauer, as it is once more correctly named) in the Neue Gallerie in New York. I had the chance to see it in Vienna many years ago but the friend I was staying with came up with a "better" idea.

Lots of other things but NOT Disneyland or any of it's off shoots!

Well, you can't forget the state of Texas. So much interesting history here. The flags of 6 different nations, including the Republic of Texas have flown here. It is like a different planet. Each region is so vastly different. Now, the time of year not to visit is during the summer months (May - September). It gets so hot and humid - 100F+ 60% humidity can make for a bad time.

However, the people are so nice out here. The food is so incredible. Especially the steak houses and BBQ Joints/Smoke houses. I hated chicken fried steak with a passion until I moved here. I LOVE it here. :yum: Then I learned about chicken fried chicken. It is actually very delicious.

If anyone will be in the area, shoot me a message and I'll show ya around. :)

Have you been to Liverpool at all MC ? So much more than your generalised dismissal of nowt but them pesky Beatles . I do love Klimt and was fortunate enough to go to a Klimt exhibition at the Tate in Liverpool .
I went to the Klimt exhibition too. I was a teensy bit disappointed that it was so small but loved what there was.

I think I'm the only person in the world that the Beatles passed by almost unnoticed. I was brought up on jazz and swing from an early age so when my contemporaries were huddled under the bed clothes secretly listening to Radio Luxembourg on their transistor radios, mine was tuned to jazz and dance band music on the BBC!

In the popular press the Beatles seem to be the only thing that Liverpool is famous for despite its history and culture. I was being a bit naughty!

Australia's big but a lot of it is desert (per vague memories of my school geography lessons).

This is one of the latest population maps.
The most detailed map of Australian population density ever | News | The Guardian
Makes interesting viewing.
There are 2 interesting trains rides in Australia. The Ghan, which I believe runs North and South between Adelaide and Darwin, and the India Pacific which runs between Perth and Sydney. There is a 250 mile stretch of track that is absolutely straight!

As long as you don't come this year (things are a bit chaotic Chez Henrietta at the moment) you'll be welcome to spend a few days with me...
That is a very kind and generous offer, MC! I probably won't ever be able to take you up on it, so don't wash the guest linens yet.

I've been lucky enough to travel overseas quite a bit in my life......I love traveling, talking to people we met along the way, trying the food and drink. Wonderful.
GG, those food photos were are delicious-looking! You've had quite a few fun experiences. Nice.

I went to the Klimt exhibition too. I was a teensy bit disappointed that it was so small but loved what there was.

I think I'm the only person in the world that the Beatles passed by almost unnoticed. I was brought up on jazz and swing from an early age so when my contemporaries were huddled under the bed clothes secretly listening to Radio Luxembourg on their transistor radios, mine was tuned to jazz and dance band music on the BBC!

In the popular press the Beatles seem to be the only thing that Liverpool is famous for despite its history and culture. I was being a bit naughty!

We used the Klimt exhibition to show visitors around the city and have a cultural weekend , so we did the Art Gallery , Museum, maritime history, ferries , good restaurants etc but we did also throw in a visit to John Lennons house as most people are quite interested . I think a few people did like them I was too young myself .

You could always go into business doing whistle top tours of the British Isles for those who aren't interested in details . Just point to the North and shout Bagpipes, At Liverpool shout Beatles (muttering utter breath never liked them myself) , Wave your arms a lot around in the middle and shout Hills , more hills, leeks , daffodils somewhere , then point to the South and shout Big Ben .

I think there is a gap in the travel industry market you could clean up . ;)

I don't really plan to turn up in the likes of Australia looking at some deserts , I have seen a bit of desert in Peru and I think they all look the same . I would probably look for populated areas which look interesting and a bit lively .

Addie,

Every time I see the TX Rangers play the Boston Red Sox, I'm so amazed at how nice the Boston Fans are.

I really would love to see the Green Monster in person one day and watch some totally excellent baseball. Any game at Fenway would be a good game, really. :cool:

We've been to Fenway Park just once and had a great time. Love the location,the park itself and, the people were great.

Back
Top Bottom