Another Restaurant Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can see how they would say something to help with reservation booking, but that is a pretty rude statement to make to dining guests. I don't think anyone should have a time limit on their dining experience. What if someone was taking a client out to talk business?

True, but social customs allow for tolerance when entering a crowded restaurant and either waiting or being turned away. Being rushed out from already being seated is just plain rude, and in some cases unforgivable - first come first served comes to mind.

And when in doubt, perhaps management should begin taking reservations.

Fair enough. But maybe I misunderstand your last statement, how could you cofirm and accomodate any reservation if the diners times are unlimited or unknown? You only have so much time every evening to make as much money as you can. What would you do if you had a party of 8, which is a potential 3-600 dollars, having no place to sit, while another party has already consumed, and finsihsed just sitting there. Could you not see this as a problem that the establishment would want to address? The establishment only has so much space with so many tables. What if every table wanted to stay for hours? What is your solution?

There are check in and out times at hotels, you have to return a rental vehicle at a certain time, tool or equpment rentals have deadlines. Why should a restaurant have to leave things to the customers' choice?

Last edited:
Then you call Restaurant Impossible, and let Robert Irvine come and spend $10,000 in expanding your dining room!!! :ROFLMAO:

With today's economic problems, no restaurant that I know can afford to turn away other potential customers by not having available accomodations.
Two sides to every story.:)
I have no problem sighing for a table at a restaurant I want to go to if there are none available. I have a very big problem with a restaurant making me feel I am no longer welcome once I hit their time limit.

My family (with two small kids) waited over an hour for a chain resaurant (Longhorns) last week. We did not have an issue with that at all. The place was packed and everyone was waiting. We will go back there again knowing we will likely have the same sort of wait again. If they ever gave me the impression that they wanted me out of thereoncei was seated I would never go back again.

Andy, I have often wondered how that restaurant was. I have seen a sign for them on the highway on my ride to work. I do not think I will try them out now. There are too many other places in the area that do not have to go somewhere that I am not wanted after a certain time limit.

...Andy, I have often wondered how that restaurant was. I have seen a sign for them on the highway on my ride to work. I do not think I will try them out now. There are too many other places in the area that do not have to go somewhere that I am not wanted after a certain time limit.

GB, in all fairness, there was no identifiable effort to move us along. It was only a statement on the menu. I think it's worth a try. I will go back because I like the food and the menu selection. If I have an issue with the time I'll complain and never return.

...how could you cofirm and accomodate any reservation if the diners times are unlimited or unknown?

...What would you do if you had a party of 8, which is a potential 3-600 dollars, having no place to sit,...

... What if every table wanted to stay for hours? What is your solution?

As you know, reservations have to be based on average stays. so you never know how to book a specific table but you do know that on an average, your restaurant turns tables over in "X" minutes.

Woud you epect that party of 8 with a potential of $300-$600 to be in and out in two hours???

Re-examine your business plan. What is it about your place that makes every table stay so long?

I've got deja vu with this thread all over again.
If there are people visibly waiting and I still want to sit and talk, I would sit around in their bar or lounge area after finishing my meal at my pace. No need to dawdle in my opinion. However, like I said before, if I know that I am going to take a while, for whatever reason, I try to set up my reservation later so I am a last customer for that table.
I think the big difference here, in this thread is, we aren't talking about the staff making you feel rushed, we are talking about a nearly subliminal message. If it was me, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it. It seems like one of those things management added to their new menus (just guessing) as an afterthought after they were up and running a while, so if someone was really testing them and simply hanging out there after a meal, they could say, "Look, it's right here on the menu you ordered from", without seeming rude to everyone.

What were you going to say about the cell phones, Andy?

It is a simple request and not an enforced rule. Same goes for cell phones. Some people don't like cell phone etiquette postings as well.
If it were my restaurant I would print those requests as well. I would consider taking them off the menus only if I got several complaints about them.

Pacanis, this is what I was going to say about cell phones.

I think there is seldom a reason to have a cell phone in use during a dinner at a restaurant. Granted there are exceptions.

When we were in Aruba a couple of weeks ago we went to dinner at a nicer restaurant. We seldom get out of there for less than $200. for the two of us.

A young couple (late 20s, early 30s) came in for dinner. He had a portable hot spot wireless, connect to the internet thingy and two smart phones. She had one smart phone. From the moment they sat until they ordered, they did not speak. They were online. All through dinner until we left, they were on their phones. If I was with a young lady that looked as good as she did, I sure wouldn't be on the phone.

I have a TracPhone, for emergencies only. If I was a parent, I would take it out on night's out, for emergencies only.

I hate cell phones! No one, in this entire world, needs to keep that close of track of me.

It seems like one of those things management added to their new menus (just guessing) as an afterthought after they were up and running a while, so if someone was really testing them and simply hanging out there after a meal, they could say, "Look, it's right here on the menu you ordered from", without seeming rude to everyone.

I was thinking something along those lines. Maybe is just there for those people who stay way too long.

Yeah, that situation in Aruba was pretty bizarre. Some people feel the need to be connected with everyone except the person they are with, lol.
Cell phones should be put on vibrate whenever you are in a bldg and used for emergencies only... or to call the restaurant up and say, Hey where did our waitress go? We're ready to order. :LOL:

It seems like one of those things management added to their new menus (just guessing) as an afterthought after they were up and running a while, so if someone was really testing them and simply hanging out there after a meal, they could say, "Look, it's right here on the menu you ordered from", without seeming rude to everyone.

I also think this is what they did.

We have a general sign posted "payment in advance required for......." for certain services we provide. It's just there in case we need to ask for payment in advance to certain individuals we don't trust.

Come to think of it, the dress code, no cell phones and two hour time limit were probably all caused by one party. For the normal patron, the time to find all this out isn't after sitting down, nor is it needed.
They probably added this stuff after getting some unruly Jets or Yankees fans :mrgreen:

Yeah, that situation in Aruba was pretty bizarre. Some people feel the need to be connected with everyone except the person they are with, lol.
Cell phones should be put on vibrate whenever you are in a bldg and used for emergencies only... or to call the restaurant up and say, Hey where did our waitress go? We're ready to order. :LOL:

One night we were sat, and forgot, in the back dining room. No one else in that part of the restaurant. We waited and waited, we weren't in a hurry but after a while ya get hungry.

Kathleen called the restaurant and asked for delivery. When she mentioned the back dining room 4 heads peeked slowly around the corner, stacked like in the cartoons.

The sad part is we still got bad service after that and they have that mandatory gratuity thing.

We don't go to that place any more.

One night we were sat, and forgot, in the back dining room. No one else in that part of the restaurant. We waited and waited, we weren't in a hurry but after a while ya get hungry.

Kathleen called the restaurant and asked for delivery. When she mentioned the back dining room 4 heads peeked slowly around the corner, stacked like in the cartoons.

The sad part is we still got bad service after that and they have that mandatory gratuity thing.

We don't go to that place any more.

Delivery!!! Priceless! ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom