Brewing coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wan

Cook
Hello, just got a question about brewing coffee.

I only want to drink one cup of coffee per day. So I am wondering if it's ok for me to put just tiny little bit of ground coffee beans in the filter paper. I don't want to make a pot of coffee, it's too much. However I am not sure if just putting a tiny amount works or not.

Thanks.

That should work. You can get a one cup coffee brewer that sits on top of your cup. Holds a filter. Just add ground coffee and hot water.

Attachments

• Realand-Plastic-Black-Single-Cup-Pour-Over-Coffee-Brewer-Brewing-Cone-Dripper-Maker-Coffee-Filte.jpg
    Realand-Plastic-Black-Single-Cup-Pour-Over-Coffee-Brewer-Brewing-Cone-Dripper-Maker-Coffee-Filte.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 104
That should work. You can get a one cup coffee brewer that sits on top of your cup. Holds a filter. Just add ground coffee and hot water.
Interesting. "One cup coffee brewer".

How much does it cost? Where can I buy it? Also, does it actually work well? I think to brew coffee one needs boiling water, not just hot water.

Last edited:
Interesting. "One cup coffee brewer".

How much does it cost? Where can I buy it? Also, does it actually work well? I think to brew coffee one needs boiling water, not just hot water.

You can find them on Amazon and other online stores.

Coffee needs water at a minimum of 195ºF.

If all else fails, inexpensive single serve coffee makers are in abundance in stores and online.

We drink one cup each, in the morning.

Ross

It takes about a minute to heat eight ounces of water to boiling in the microwave.

Yea but I am too lazy. I don't want to have to heat water up in a separate process. Besides I already have a traditional coffee maker, I don't want to have to spend money to buy a one-cup coffee brewer.

If all else fails, inexpensive single serve coffee makers are in abundance in stores and online.

We drink one cup each, in the morning.

Ross
Are you talking about one of those machines that takes pods? I thought about that and have looked it up online. They are too expensive. Besides I already have a coffee maker. Don't want to have to spend any money unnecessarily.

The whole idea behind the Keurig style coffee maker is to brew just one cup at a time.

As Siri likes to say' "I found THIS on the internet. Check it out!"

Wan, I don't see any reason you couldn't use a drip coffee maker for a single cup of coffee. It might take some trial and error to figure out the right amount of water to use. Some of the water will stay in the filter and coffee grounds.

...I don't want to make a pot of coffee, it's too much. ...

...One thing I really like about the traditional coffee maker is that it heats up the water for you.

Yea but I am too lazy. I don't want to have to heat water up in a separate process...

I don't want to have to spend money to buy a one-cup coffee brewer.

...Don't want to have to spend any money unnecessarily.

It looks like you've successfully eliminated all your options. Perhaps you should buy a cup of coffee every day.

Wan, I don't see any reason you couldn't use a drip coffee maker for a single cup of coffee. It might take some trial and error to figure out the right amount of water to use. Some of the water will stay in the filter and coffee grounds.
I am mainly wanting to know how much ground coffee beans to use, I am not really concerned about water. I ask that because I am under the impression that in order to brew well enough, the machine requires a certain amount of ground coffee beans. I have always seen such a machine make a whole pot of coffee. I have never seen it make just one cup.

It looks like you've successfully eliminated all your options. Perhaps you should buy a cup of coffee every day.
That's really expensive and what I have been doing, in fact. It really adds up. When I look at my Visa transactions online, it makes me wince.

Last edited:
You've gotten some suggestions here. Only you can decide what to do now.
That is true, although no one has addressed my question. Technically I did not ask a generic, "what should I do" question. I asked very specifically how much ground coffee beans I should use to produce just one cup of coffee.

But thanks to everybody anyway.

I guess we're all just too eager to help.

I would start with two tablespoons. Then you can adjust up or down to reach the strength you want.

I guess we're all just too eager to help.

Lol. Now I feel bad.

Seriously though, I appreciate the helpful tips from everyone in this thread.

I would start with two tablespoons. Then you can adjust up or down to reach the strength you want.
I will definitely try that.

That is true, although no one has addressed my question. Technically I did not ask a generic, "what should I do" question. I asked very specifically how much ground coffee beans I should use to produce just one cup of coffee.

But thanks to everybody anyway.

Yes, I did address your question, as you wrote it. I would try with one tablespoon / scoop of coffee for one cup of coffee. That presumes that when you say one cup of coffee, you mean the same amount as the coffee maker considers one cup of coffee. That might be a bit strong, if it is the size of one cup, according to the coffee maker. But, try it and see if you would prefer to use more or less coffee the next time.

How much coffee do you use when you make a full pot and how many cups does a full pot make? Do the arithmetic. Divide the amount for the full pot by the number of cups that makes.

Back
Top Bottom