China Town- SF..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Were leaving next week for S.F. Booked a beautiful suite. Plan on taking in the sites for a few days.
Never been to China Town, or stayed in S.F for more then a days visit.

I have to be fed. It's the law! :LOL:
Can anyone recommend some nice places. Something quick during the day. Relaxing for dinner? I've seen what the hotel restaurants have to offer. It doesn't sound that appealing..

Thank you.

Munky.

It's been too many years since I was last in The City (local for S.F.).

I was there from 1971-1974. The thing I remember the best is the hundreds of small hole-in-the-wall restaurants with fabulous foods.

When I was there, Chinatown was a great day trip. However, not the place to be after dark. Street gangs were rampant there then and it wasn't the place to be after dark.

In Chinatown, lots of small shops for locals. Stay away from the touristy looking joints, they're full of junk.

Maybe a S.F. local will pipe in with some current favorite places.

Good luck! I wish I was going with you! :pig:

One of the fun things to do is to sightsee along Fisherman's Wharf then buy some crab from an outdoor vendor (they usually belong to the restaurants they're in front of). They crack the shells and wrap them in paper. You can walk to a nearby park near Ghirardelli Square and chow down.

In chinatown, make sure you take in the big department store on Grant Avenue. Can't remember the name but there are 4-5 levels including two basements. They have a huge variety of stuff. There are also a ton of little shops that sell cheap and very expensive souvenirs.

It's been a while since I've been there so I can't remember any restaurant names.

Last edited:
One of the fun things to do is to sight see along Fisherman's Wharf then buy some crab from an outdoor vendor (they usually belong to the restaurant's they're in front of). They crack the shells and wrap them in paper. You can walk to a nearby park near Ghirardelli Square and chow down.

In chinatown, make sure you take in the big department store on Grant Avenue. Can't remember the name but there are 4-5 levels including two basements. They have a huge variety of stuff. There are also a ton of little shops that sell cheap and very expensive souvenirs.

It's been a while since I've been there so I can't remember any restaurant names.

Okay, now I want to go, too. I need 4-5 levels of retail therapy.:rolleyes:

It's glorious in it's chintziness. There is a hodge podge of very expensive ivory and other expensive art mixed in with the kind of stuff that has made "Made in China" famous. It's worth the time to walk through.

It's glorious in it's chintziness. There is a hodge podge of very expensive ivory and other expensive art mixed in with the kind of stuff that has made "Made in China" famous. It's worth the time to walk through.

Park Shrek on the first floor with an orange soda and take off for a few hours of wandering...Munky, I wish I could join you!!!:LOL:

I have been visiting San Francisco several times a year for over 10 years. What type of food did you have in mind? San Francisco has everything from neighborhood linoleum cafes to Michelin starred restaurants. These are my personal favorites, but I haven't been to all of the restaurants in San Francisco yet. I believe they all have their own web sites if you want more information.

Best restaurant in San Francisco - Gary Danko (call for reservations now, and be flexible)

Best Vietnamese restaurant in San Francisco - Ana Mandara at Ghirardelli Square

Best entertainment restaurant in San Francisco - Asia SF

Most interesting Chinese restaurant in Chinatown - Sam Wo on Washington street, off Grant

Best breakfast restaurant in San Francisco - Mama's on Washington Square, or Dottie's True Blue Cafe (expect lines)

Most popular breakfast restaurant in San Francisco - Sugar Cafe, short menu and bottomless mimosas.

Best Celebrity Chef restaurant in San Francisco - Tyler Florence's Wayfare Tavern

Best seafood restaurant in San Francisco - Scoma's

Best Italian restaurant in San Francisco - The Stinking Rose

Best Bistro lunch restaurant in San Francisco - Bistro Boudin at Fisherman's Wharf

Best Bistro restaurant with an ulterior motive in San Francisco - Delancy Street Restaurant

Most unique coffee shop in San Francisco - Red's Java House

Now, if you tell me where you're staying, I can provide recommendations close to your hotel, or tell me where you're going and I'll direct you to restaurants close to the sites you'll be visiting around meal time.

Last edited:

You and me both! I plan on shopping til I drop :LOL:
Here's a few places we'd like to visit

San Francisco City Hall | Flickr - Photo Sharing! City Hall at night.

San Francisco National Maritime Park Association - Links Gotta see where the oven is.. I'm nosy like that.

The Wax Museum at Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco Just for me. ;)

My husband was raised in the Bay. He keeps talking about " Pork Buns?"... :huh: Hmmm.. Hope they're good. I'm not taking his word for it.

Great! Ana Mandara is directly across the street form the Maritime Museum, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Scoma's is one of the best dinner restaurants on the wharf. Cioppino's is second best, and Aliotos isn't even an also-ran any more. Bistro Boudin is a great place for lunch near the Wax Museum if you're there around lunch time. They'll load you up with plenty of oven fresh sourdough bread. Be sure to buy some to take home. I buy mine by the six-pack!

They have a six loaf cardboard carrier that looks like a skinny pet carrier.
img_1028688_0_0d9dadc6e0da228da5b2982f3ef9f1e6.jpg

Last edited:
Great! Ana Mandara is directly across the street form the Maritime Museum, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Scoma's is one of the best dinner restaurants on the wharf. Cioppino's is second best, and Aliotos isn't even an also-ran any more. Bistro Boudin is a great place for lunch near the Wax Museum if you're there around lunch time. They'll load you up with plenty of oven fresh sourdough bread. Be sure to buy some to take home. I buy mine by the six-pack!

They have a six loaf cardboard carrier that looks like a skinny pet carrier.
img_1028700_0_0d9dadc6e0da228da5b2982f3ef9f1e6.jpg

Ohhh! I didn't even think of buying fresh sourdough, sauces and such to bring home.. Definitely will be doing that. Sea Food won't make it... I'll check out all the recommendations. Ana's sounds great. Hope they have an online menu to look at.
Just want everyone to agree on a place and enjoy it. Thank you.

Munky.

Munk, your husbad is probably talking about a different sort of pork bun. I'd ignore him. I especially like the City's hunan province restaurants. Be prepared however for extremely rude waiters, that's just part of the odd appeal for customers.

For a good lay of the land, I strongly recommend Signal Hill.

Have fun at one of my most favorite cities in the world!

Munk, your husbad is probably talking about a different sort of pork bun. I'd ignore him. I especially like the City's hunan province restaurants. Be prepared however for extremely rude waiters, that's just part of the odd appeal for customers.

For a good lay of the land, I strongly recommend Signal Hill.

Have fun at one of my most favorite cities in the world!

I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. I was the one who wasn't really listening to him :ROFLMAO:
I'll stay out of the Hunan Province. Rude waiters and waitresses are the thing to be around here. That's why We don't eat out. I don't find that kind of behavior appealing. Won't pay for it..

Ok Sir,

It's looking like our best bets are
Bistro Boudin » Menu I have to go to the bakery museum.
And Scoma's Scoma's Restaurant - Freshest Seafood in San Francisco - Family Traditions - Friendly Services - Since 1965 WOW! What a view! Both places have menu's nobody can complain about. It's a win, win situation..

This isn't exactly a pleasure trip. Long drive the first day. Big appointment the following afternoon.

Scoma's would be absolutely perfect after our appointment. Nice and relaxing.
I'll get pics..

Munky.

I don't know if you can do it today, but I recall that in 1969 my fiance and I would buy a wheel of segmented sour dough bread and a couple of paper sack's worth of giant prawns from the street vendors. We'd take a bite of soft, warm sour dough followed by a bite of hot, salty, steamed prawn and revel with delight as we strolled along the Fisherman's Wharf area. To this day, that was one of the best meals I've ever had!

Last edited:
We love San Francisco. We ate at an excellant Chinese restaurant in China town, but I couldn't tell you the name of it. Scoma's is our altime favorite.

I think Gumps is the big store someone was talking about.

For a day trip we took Amtrak to Yosemite and really enjoyed it. We did the Alcatraz tour and although I did not think I would enjoy that, I did. Very informative. We also enjoyed a tour of Saucalito. There are many tours in the Wharf area. Very many things to do and places to eat.

We always bring home bread and chocolates from the chocolate factory.

Have fun!

Pork buns are available at a lot of the little bakeries in Chinatown.

Word to the wise: Parking is very expensive and almost as hard to find as NYC. Leave your car at the hotel and buy a MUNI passport. They're available at several locations. Just ask your hotel concierge. You can get a 3 day MUNI passport that alows you to ride all public transportation except BART, including all cable cars, for 21 bucks each, about the cost of two parking lots. That's the first thing I do when I get off the BART from the train station at Market and Powell. I haven't driven to San Francisco in years and I am less than 400 miles away.

Last edited:
We like the Tadich Grill on California Street. It's been there since the Gold Rush Days. We avoid the lunch hours because the place is always packed with locals enjoying lunch.

We like the Tadich Grill on California Street. It's been there since the Gold Rush Days. We avoid the lunch hours because the place is always packed with locals enjoying lunch.

I lived on California Street once. Right near the very end of it, where the little store was that got robbed once a week.

Great place to live!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom