Cracker Barrel Boycott

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His heart is in the right place, but those are not his items to give away.

He admitted that he was wrong so I'm not really sure why anyone would blame Cracker Barrel for this or want to boycott them for something someone else did.

If the report is to be believed he did it in plain sight. He may have thought that he was doing it with tacit permission.

And it begs the question of whether the recipient of the muffin was "done" for receiving stolen property?

How could he possibly believe that when he had been previously warned about such things? He used bad judgement and he has paid for it. You just don't give your employer's goods away without permission - you just don't.

The recipient had no way of knowing that the muffin was not going to be paid for.

Last edited:
If the report is to be believed he did it in plain sight. He may have thought that he was doing it with tacit permission.

So what if he did it in plain sight? What difference does that make? And as RP pointed out, he had been warned several times previously for doing the same thing, and as MrsLMB pointed out, he admitted that he was wrong. For whatever reason, he violated the company's rules again.

I work in retail, and once my manager tried to write me up for helping an elderly lady pay for her groceries.

It was winter, she didn't have enough on her food stamps card to pay for everything, so she started to ask me to void off some of the food. She said her heating bill was higher than usual, and I knew this to be true because ours had been too.

This wasn't junk food, either. She had a couple of marked-down chickens, hamburger meat, bread, milk, canned and fresh veggies, Special K cereal (one of my favorites, lol!), 1/2 dozen eggs, some cans of soup, bologna, and cheese.

I carry a little wallet with me and told her, "No, we aren't putting anything back. Not today." I paid the balance of a little over $2.00 with my debit card. She was so grateful!

Two days later, my manager came to me and took me back to the office, where they were prepared to write me up. I refused to accept the write-up and told them it was none of their business what I did with my money, either on the clock or off, and if they were to pursue this, I'd walk out and go to every newspaper and TV station within 50 miles with this.

People are finding themselves in hard times, and there's not a dang thing wrong with showing a little kindness sometimes. I think Joe won't be out of a job for very long at all! Someone will appreciate his kindness and beg to hire him, I bet!

Allow me to thank you once more.

Now to the article. I could not open the link as I have a personal policy concerning Faux news. I never watch or read anything manufactured and regurgitated at faux news.

My husband is a veteran of both Korea and Viet Nam and has yet to expect extra benefits for that duty. This guy doesn't get any extra credit for giving away other people's stuff just because he's a veteran. He says they did they right thing but makes sure it makes the news. The veteran's random act of kindness would be that if he paid for the muffin first.

The sad thing is that all these restaurants/bakeries always have leftovers that are usually donated to charities or worse yet dumped into garbage.

I work in retail, and once my manager tried to write me up for helping an elderly lady pay for her groceries.
... it was none of their business what I did with my money, either on the clock or off, ...!

That is the difference, you Paid with your own money, he gave away the muffin without paying.
Yes like I said before it is sad, because leftovers get dumped. But rules a re rules.

Failure to follow established procedures....

I very much dislike how writers uses terms like veteran to tug at heartstrings. This was a repeated violation and he knew it was against the rules, but did it anyway. Would people have nearly as much sympathy if it was a middle aged civilian, nobody would have likely heard about it. He gave away his employers product when he was told not to.

What Bakechef says. It seems heavy-handed and harsh but this amounted to stealing company property. Sorry, not a popular point of view but justifiable for Cracker Barrel.

The sad thing is that all these restaurants/bakeries always have leftovers that are usually donated to charities or worse yet dumped into garbage.

The Boston Food Bank has an enormous truck that goes around to all the grocery stores, bakeries, etc. and picks up all the donations on a daily basis. They then drop off the baked goods at The Pine Street Inn and other places that feed the homeless on a daily basis. The rest goes back to their warehouse for distribution to the local neighborhood food banks. During the summer months when most folks are on vacation, and donations are not on their mind, The BFB holds different drives to replenish their warehouse supplies. But the baked goods still get picked up and sent to various locations.

I wish you could see the size of the warehouse. Amazon could store some of their packages in there and still have room left over. :angel:

Last edited:
Who cares about this guys age or background, he simply gave away something that wasn't his to give, apparently on several occasions after being warned. Done deal, you loose your job.

I agree that it was theft.

I think the resto could have stash of muffins or whatever that the staff are allowed to give out to needy looking people and maybe a policy about coffee.

Who cares about this guys age or background, he simply gave away something that wasn't his to give, apparently on several occasions after being warned. Done deal, you loose your job.

I just wanted to add, there's nothing like giving away free food to the needy and he should consider doing that as a volunteer for a program in his area. The rewards of doing that far outweigh the efforts we've given.

I agree.

If the references to his age and being a Veteran were removed from the story would people have the same reaction? What if it was simply reported as "an employee"?

Just something for everyone to think about this morning.

I very much dislike how writers uses terms like veteran to tug at heartstrings. This was a repeated violation and he knew it was against the rules, but did it anyway. Would people have nearly as much sympathy if it was a middle aged civilian, nobody would have likely heard about it. He gave away his employers product when he was told not to.

I agree that it was theft.

I think the resto could have stash of muffins or whatever that the staff are allowed to give out to needy looking people and maybe a policy about coffee.

I think most businesses don't like to encourage needy looking people from hanging around begging for food. It makes paying customers uncomfortable.

I think most businesses don't like to encourage needy looking people from hanging around begging for food. It makes paying customers uncomfortable.
They could ask the needy looking people to go around to the kitchen or another entrance.

Back
Top Bottom