Cracker Barrel Boycott

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Next time we go out of state on a road trip and we see the never endless Cracker Barrel signs along the road.We'll keep driving by!

It's shameful what they've done to this man.
So much for their morality human kindness as they portray.Hypocrites!

First to boycott.It's the principal of the matter.
I hope "Joe" has better doors opening up for him in the future.
"You Go Joe!"

Vietnam veteran, 73, loses job at Cracker Barrel after giving muffin to needy man | Fox News

Btw,when my husband I had stopped at a Cracker Barrel the waitress gave us a free Coca-Cola cake with 2 scoops of ice cream.Was she fired for that? I certainly hope not.

Munky.

I very much dislike how writers uses terms like veteran to tug at heartstrings. This was a repeated violation and he knew it was against the rules, but did it anyway. Would people have nearly as much sympathy if it was a middle aged civilian, nobody would have likely heard about it. He gave away his employers product when he was told not to.

I work in retail, and once my manager tried to write me up for helping an elderly lady pay for her groceries.

It was winter, she didn't have enough on her food stamps card to pay for everything, so she started to ask me to void off some of the food. She said her heating bill was higher than usual, and I knew this to be true because ours had been too.

This wasn't junk food, either. She had a couple of marked-down chickens, hamburger meat, bread, milk, canned and fresh veggies, Special K cereal (one of my favorites, lol!), 1/2 dozen eggs, some cans of soup, bologna, and cheese.

I carry a little wallet with me and told her, "No, we aren't putting anything back. Not today." I paid the balance of a little over $2.00 with my debit card. She was so grateful!

Two days later, my manager came to me and took me back to the office, where they were prepared to write me up. I refused to accept the write-up and told them it was none of their business what I did with my money, either on the clock or off, and if they were to pursue this, I'd walk out and go to every newspaper and TV station within 50 miles with this.

People are finding themselves in hard times, and there's not a dang thing wrong with showing a little kindness sometimes. I think Joe won't be out of a job for very long at all! Someone will appreciate his kindness and beg to hire him, I bet!

I work in retail, and once my manager tried to write me up for helping an elderly lady pay for her groceries.

It was winter, she didn't have enough on her food stamps card to pay for everything, so she started to ask me to void off some of the food. She said her heating bill was higher than usual, and I knew this to be true because ours had been too.

This wasn't junk food, either. She had a couple of marked-down chickens, hamburger meat, bread, milk, canned and fresh veggies, Special K cereal (one of my favorites, lol!), 1/2 dozen eggs, some cans of soup, bologna, and cheese.

I carry a little wallet with me and told her, "No, we aren't putting anything back. Not today." I paid the balance of a little over $2.00 with my debit card. She was so grateful!

Two days later, my manager came to me and took me back to the office, where they were prepared to write me up. I refused to accept the write-up and told them it was none of their business what I did with my money, either on the clock or off, and if they were to pursue this, I'd walk out and go to every newspaper and TV station within 50 miles with this.

People are finding themselves in hard times, and there's not a dang thing wrong with showing a little kindness sometimes. I think Joe won't be out of a job for very long at all! Someone will appreciate his kindness and beg to hire him, I bet!

That was a wonderfully kind thing to do, but the difference is that you paid for the product, he did not.

Last edited:
When I cashiered I kept cash (ones) in my pocket to help those who were a little short. Many times I got paid back, but never expected it.

I very much dislike how writers uses terms like veteran to tug at heartstrings. This was a repeated violation and he knew it was against the rules, but did it anyway. Would people have nearly as much sympathy if it was a middle aged civilian, nobody would have likely heard about it. He gave away his employers product when he was told not to.

Your right the Vet card is over played.What he did was wrong.Yes he did repeatedly continued to do so.Knowing Vietnam Vets some had a hard time when they came home.Maybe Joe was one of them, we don't know that.

I think they could have gone about it in a different light.Dock his pay.
Move him into another position. 4 years, 4 gold stars.Wouldn't that tell you he's worth something? He's 73 on a fixed income guessing here of what $600 a month.He did say he would have paid for it.
Maybe at the time the place was busy, he probably just didn't stop to think.He might have other people to wait on.We don't know it all.

As for middle aged civilians it does happen to them.You work for a Co, for 20+years 2 months away from full retirement and then have upper management with security tell you that your terminated with no benefits.That's messed up.

Your right the Vet card is over played.What he did was wrong.Yes he did repeatedly continued to do so.Knowing Vietnam Vets some had a hard time when they came home.Maybe Joe was one of them, we don't know that.

I think they could have gone about it in a different light.Dock his pay.
Move him into another position. 4 years, 4 gold stars.Wouldn't that tell you he's worth something? He's 73 on a fixed income guessing here of what $600 a month.He did say he would have paid for it.
Maybe at the time the place was busy, he probably just didn't stop to think.He might have other people to wait on.We don't know it all.

As for middle aged civilians it does happen to them.You work for a Co, for 20+years 2 months away from full retirement and then have upper management with security tell you that your terminated with no benefits.That's messed up.

Oh I do know that it happens, it's just that news organizations aren't going to exploit a story like that, because honestly nobody really cares, it's an every day thing, but throw in veteran or elderly and suddenly everyone is enraged, it's all played for ratings.

I've worked in my area for almost 15 years for a couple different grocery stores. There is this elderly lady, very sweet and well dressed, but she's a thief. Neither company wants to deal with the bad press of having a frail, elderly lady arrested, so they look the other way. They know that the local news would be all over it and it would be terrible for business.

With what has been going on here with our neighbors dealing with the complete loss of their house from a terrible fire, it's possible I'm just thinking of those in need.

Sometimes I see someone in need, is all. I know there are those who take advantage, but I can say no one can pull that off on me.

My life is always better if I can help others, and I hope Joe gets another job where he can help people.

Does he cook? If so, he might be pretty useful here, if he needs a hobby! LOL!

The truth is his sentiments may have been commendable but he wasn't authorized to spend his employer's money.

Of course, the story the media tells you will play up the emotional "big business vs. the little guy/veteran" aspect of the story.

This man, no matter how kind he was being, was warned about this repeatedly. He COULD have been fired at the first offense. What if they employed a bunch of teens who were giving free items to their friends? At a grocery store, a check out clerk who slips items through for her friends and family is called a "Sweetheart." Fired immediately when caught.

He could have taken money out of his own pocket to BUY a muffin for this person.

Most companies would list it as charitable giving and write it off to tax.

No, they wouldn't. The bookkeeping necessary to track every small txn. would be daunting. All that happens is that the store's profits drop and the manage has to answer why.

Crackerbarrel supports several charities that benefit veterans and their families.

It's actually called a deliberate act of theft.
If the report is to be believed he did it in plain sight. He may have thought that he was doing it with tacit permission.

And it begs the question of whether the recipient of the muffin was "done" for receiving stolen property?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom