DC - Washington DC ... Italian restaurants in area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GingerT43

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know of any really good Italian restaurants in the D.C. area?

Haven't been to these except for Pizzeria Paradiso. Heard great things about Obelisk and Laboratorio del Galileo. From the Washingtonian:

From Washingtonian's best bargain restaurants - Italian.

A LA LUCIA Alexandria, 703-836-5123 moderate
CAFE MONTI Alexandria, 703-370-3632 inexpensive
CAFE TIROLO Arlington, 703-528-7809 inexpensive
COPPI'S ORGANIC U Street, 202-319-7773 inexpensive
DOUGHBOYS Gaithersburg, 301-330-3212 inexpensive
LA PIAZZA Alexandria, 703-519-7711 inexpensive
MARCELLA'S Chevy Chase, 301-951-1818 inexpensive
OLAZZO Bethesda, 301-654-9496 inexpensive
PASTA PLUS Laurel, 301-498-7878 inexpensive
PIZZERIA PARADISO Dupont Circle, 202-223-1245 moderate
Georgetown, 202-337-1245
SETTE OSTERIA Dupont Circle, 202-483-3070 moderate SORRISO Cleveland Park, 202-537-4800 moderate

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/bbcuisine.html#Italian

From the Very Best Restaurants - Washingtonian:

1-1/2 stars A LA LUCIA Alexandria, 703-836-5123 moderate
2-1/2 stars AMICI MIEI Rockville, 301-545-0966 moderate
2-1/2 stars GALILEO Foggy Bottom, 202-293-7191 expensive
4 stars LABORATORIO DEL GALILEO Foggy Bottom, 202-293-7191 v. expensive
4 stars MAESTRO McLean, 703-821-1515 v. expensive
2-1/2 stars NOTTI BIANCHE Foggy Bottom, 202-298-8085 expensive
3 stars OBELISK Dupont Circle, 202-872-1180 v. expensive
3 stars PALENA CAFE Cleveland Park, 202-537-9250 moderate
2 stars PIZZERIA PARADISO Dupont Circle, 202-223-1245 moderate
Georgetown, 202-337-1245 2-1/2 stars RISTORANTE TOSCA Downtown, 202-367-1990 v. expensive

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/vbcuisine.html#Italian

Italian restaraunts

Hey Thanks for the tips. I'll definitly check some of those out.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if there is still a little Italian place on Columbia Pike in Arlington? It was once Italianissimo, then Michaelangelo's. It was a place that my parents romanced at, and then many years later, was down the street from my apartment. Also in Arlington was something called the Alpine. Just wondering if they are still there.

Gosh, Claire - don't know. I live rather west of Arlington these days and rarely go into D.C. anymore.

If nobody better-informed answers, I'll try to find out for you.

Hi Claire -
I think Michelangelo's changed ownership in the 1990s and I don't think it exists any longer - at least not on Columbia Pike. However, I believe the Alpine is still around on Lee Highway.

I'm sorry if there isn't an Italian restaurant of some sort at that Columbia Pike location. My parents used to go to Itallianissmo there when they were younger. But, as you know, I love food stories.

I lived in Arlington, worked at the Pentagon. Coming home from an exhausting day at work, picking up my mail at the desk to my apartment building, I was joking around with a couple of old Italian men who were often sitting in the lobby, reading the papers or talking to those who come and go. We had a fun flirtation going (he was in his 70s or 80s, I was in my early 20s), and one day he said, for the hundredth time, "If I were younger, I'd take you to dinner, but I'm sure you have a date." Haha. I never had a date. I laughingly told him to put his money where his mouth was. We wound up at Italllianissimo. He and his (senile) brother were retired engravers from the mint (in other words, they used to make money). We walked, arm-in-arm, to the restaurant. He taught me how to order items not on the menu, something that has benefitted me when dining with friends and family with dietary restrictions. I don't remember his name, and I'm sure he is long gone. But he was a lovely gentleman, taking care of his brother, and I can say it was one of the best "dates" I had when I lived there!!

The Alpine is still around! Thanks for the connection! It was a big favorite when I lived there. It was the first place where I took my husband to dinner! Good Memories!

I am suprised that no one from dc, has replied to this question. I grew up in NW DC. I was not a foodie growing up but I can mention a couple of places that can't be all bad cause they've been around for 30 yrs or better.
By Univ of Md is Ledo's Pizza. The original location not the franchises. There is more variety at the original location. Ledo's is so good they Fedex them all over the world. They have letters on the wall where they shipped them to Israel and Hawaii. There pizzas are square cause they don't cut corners.
The large pizzas are a half sheet pan size. As a kid I won a eating contest by eating 2 and a half of them fully loaded. I had a headache not a tummy ache afterwards. That was 8th grade.
2 other places that I know that I have also seen on food network shows are Ben's Chili Bowl, where Bill Cosby courted his wife at 13th and U St in NW and Horace and Dickies which is around 14Th and U NE. They are a neighborhood fish joint. If you go over there the natives call it Hoss and Dicky and any body can tell you where it is. Go in the day time and drive the old car. The natives aren't that bad just don't give them any ideas.
yes it's that good.

Oh, what wonderful memories you've brought forward. My husband and I lived in Silver Spring for 30 years before moving to Kentucky in 1994. And, you're right, Ledo's rocks. Great pizza. We went back to visit one of your sons a few years ago and had the great fortune to have supper one night at Ledo's. Yum!

Of the top of my head I can't think of any DC restaurants that serve good old home cooking-type foods. Although, the Silver Diner did a good job of serving good diner food.

Back
Top Bottom