Fast Food on the Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Now, when I can travel just with my husband, we always seek little mom & pop, preferably ethnic places. But lately we've had to travel with a geriatric Jack Russell terrier. For lunches, in particular, this means fast food. Since I rarely, if ever, eat at fast food places otherwise, what are your favorites when there are no other options? The last few times I've been on the road I've opted for McDonald's salads or Taco Bell tacos (the latter being a taste of childhood favorite). What do you like at which chains. I haven't been to a chain in two years so don't know what is out there.

I prefer Taco Johns (hard shel tacos with the green jalapeno sauce), but they aren't everywhere. KFC (original recipe for me), Mickey D's (I like Big Macs and yogurt parfaits for b'fast), Hardees (for breakfast, great biscuits and gravy)

I have to have at least 6-7 oz. of protein everyday so if we decide to go for a ride I often just stop at Jack in the box and get the breakfast jack, two pieces of french bread toast,a slice of ham and cheese and a fried egg..They are very good for a quick breakfast. Of course I love several places here that serve wonderful breakfasts that you could spend several hours enjoying:LOL:

kadesma

Grocery store delis are my fast food of choice.

+1

Wendys - the side salad is actually good.

Lunch buffets geared for the business crowd are often pretty good. Pizza Hut has one for cheap and you can get it to go.

The cheapest lunch I've found is at costco (sams club). If you are a member it's on the order of 2 bucks. If you can get past the very tiny menu, it's pretty good. Kosher dogs, good pizza and great frozen mocha thingies.

I hit the big truck stop / travel plazas like Flying J, TA or Pilot.

Flying J always has gas, bathrooms a restuarant and ready made fast food.

I am constantly on the road and having to eat meals.... for the most part, I stick with McDonalds chicken nuggets or the taco bell bean burrito..yummmm ;)

What about a sub sandwich shop like Subway or Quizno's? Personally I prefer Subway (it's a little cheaper than Quizno's), but Quizno's is good too. I don't know if this chain has broadened its horizons but Firehouse Subs have some decent sub sandwiches too.

Love That Chicken From Popeye's!!!!!

15-20 year ago, Popeye's was in the areas I lived. I really enjoyed their fried chicken and red beans and rice. Sadly, they are no where convenient any longer so I cannot satisfy my craving.

Wendy's, Arby's, Checkers, But most of them are catch as catch can. It depends on how it's managed. A lot of them don't give a flip anymore and they've gone down the tubes. Boston Market, Quizno's, Firehouse subs, Oh well, I still think good fast food is an oxymoron. :ROFLMAO:

me too

I am constantly on the road and having to eat meals.... for the most part, I stick with McDonalds chicken nuggets or the taco bell bean burrito..yummmm ;)
Im so with you on that.the nuggets and quarter pounder with cheese for me as well as large fries..taco bell's beef burrito supreme, chili cheese fries, and volcano taco..gotta have my Mexican food fix on the road:rolleyes:

In the Wisconsin and northern Illinois area is a chain called Culvers. They have a diverse and excellent menu. Every item I have ever had there is good. The have rules about employee conduct, don't come to work with a bad attitude, smile...

Its the only fast food place that I know of that has seasonal things like walleye on the menu.

In the Wisconsin and northern Illinois area is a chain called Culvers. They have a diverse and excellent menu. Every item I have ever had there is good. The have rules about employee conduct, don't come to work with a bad attitude, smile...

Its the only fast food place that I know of that has seasonal things like walleye on the menu.

Send them our way BD. We could use something good like that. We have what I call troughs here, or buffets to other people. Food is usually like rubber, cold, uninspiring. *sigh*

I usually hit Subway. I don't like the majority of lunch meat, so I stick with lots of bacon toasted on a wheat roll with shredded jack cheese, then topped with lettuce, tomato (if it looks good), red onion, and Ranch/Chipotle sauces. Finished with lots of black pepper.

Normally I pair it with a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and a Coke.
Ohhh... Cool Ranch Doritos... one of my favorite junk foods... :pig:

I'll go to a subway before I'll visit any of the "Would you like fries with that?" places.
-----
When it comes to the Blooming Onion/Stuff-On-The-Wall joints (e.g. Applebees, Chilis, 99, TGIF, etc.), I usually steer clear of those as well - although they're usually reliable for a passable burger with cold beer.
-----
For long car-trips, I also prefer looking for a grocery store and picking up stuff to munch on like crackers/chips, veggies/fruit, hummus/dip, cheese, nuts, chocolate/candy, etc.

i prefer carls junior here. don't have often so i really enjoy when i do. western b acon cheese burger. i do love subway also. not a sit down dinner place except a chinese place with cloth napkins, etc lol

Traveling with my kids could be a real treat, especially when it comes to grabbing something to eat. Because of this, many of our vacations include renting a house/ condo and doing most of our cooking. But, before i leave , i usually scout out a few fast food favorites in the area, so this way, we know the menu, and for the most part, everything is universal no matter where u go. With this said, usually friendly's, subway and an occasional pizza hut.

Even our small town (NW Illinois) has a Culvers, and I've never eaten there! I only do fast food when on the road with animals. I keep thinking I'll stop by just to try a butter burger, and I've heard their fried chicken is very good (a big weakness of mine).

Larry, when I was a child, fast food was a big treat, more $$ than my parents could afford, and as a military brat that wasn't much, and also as a military brat, we spent a lot of time going from place to place in a car. So my mother would travel with an electric skillet and a coffee pot, without the "guts". She'd boil water in motel rooms, and we'd have instant cereals, coffee and soup for breakfast. Then maybe grilled cheese sandwiches at the end of the day. For lunch she'd look for a small-town park and we'd picnic. Eating in restaurants was saved for truly miserable (weather-wise) days. Back then (50s and 60s) fast food was in its infancy. We actually one time ate at one of the very first KFC franchises in the south on a truly wet day. It was run by two old ladies who told us how they used a pressure cooker and The Colonel's special recipe to make this delectable fried chicken. That would have been in the early 60s in Alabama or one of the adjoining states.

Nowadays, though, I think fast food is sometimes cheaper than you can make it at home. I still don't do it if there is any other option. I honestly would rather cook than drive to McDonalds. This was our first road trip without a dog in almost two decades, and I will say it was wonderful to look for real restaurants and actually take a driving break and eat something while sitting at a table. I miss my doggies, but I really do not miss hit-or-miss fast food meals, often eaten in the truck when the weather wouldn't cooperate or we couldn't find a nice park to eat and let the girls run around and do their business.

Back
Top Bottom