GA - Savannah ... Lady and Sons via Jax, FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I'll be in Jacksonville Florida and will rent a car for a drive to Savannah Georgia so I can visit the Lady and Sons restaurant. Any reason to not go to L&S's that anyone knows of? It's a drive and one I'm eager to make but only in hopes that their food is worth it.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm thinking the drive is 137 miles one way. Anyone know how long that should take me? I'm not familiar with the road system there and hope it's easier enough to navigate.

137 miles I think would be a little over 2 hours maybe ?
Let us know if you get there and what you thought.
I'd like to try that out too if I'm ever down that way.

It's a wonderful restaurant! The only drawback - and it's huge - is that there are no reservations, and you need to get there EARLY to get your name on the lunch or dinner list!! THe last time DH and I went, we got there at 9:30, and there was already a line around the block for lunch! You get up to the desk, leave your name, and they tell what time to be back. Our time was 2:30!!! Fortunately, Savannah is just absolutely charming, and you'll have plenty to do while you're waiting - and working up an appetite! If you were a 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' fan, you can visit some of the houses that were in the movie. If you're a shopper or antiquer, you'll be in heaven! And Savannah has the most beautiful 'squares' all through the old part of town (walking distance from the restaurant).

Enjoy, and be sure to report back and tell us what you thought!

Promise to be a good girl and will report back. I was in Atlanta a month ago for a long enough time to rent a car and drive from there, but got too many stumbling blocks put at my feet where I was feeling inklings not to go to Savannah. I did rent the car and did drive around the lovely city but for whatever reason, I felt I was getting messages not to go. Perhaps a flat tire would have occured or whatever, anyway, very disappointed about not being able to get there that time. It would have been a serious 4+ hours from Atlanta and I was concerned about not getting there in time for a meal.

Can't wait and do hope I enjoy, if nothing else, a lovely drive.

Like marmalady said - about the only drawback is it is "first come - first served" .... and Paula draws a BIG crowd!

The drive from JAX will probably be about 2.5 - 3 hours (depending on the day of week and time of day) - but it shouldn't take more than about 3 hours, usually. If you leave JAX by about 6am - you should be able to get in line by about 9am to get your name on the list (they start taking names at 9:30) for a lunch seating between 11am - 3pm.

You might want to check out her website - it includes driving directions from JAX. It might also be worth investing in a phone call to see what they suggest about day-of-week and times. I would guess Paula has probably done more to keep a "captive" audience in Savannah for a day or two than anyone since William T. Sherman visited in December, 1864.

Savannah is a great city to visit, so don't feel disappointed if you can't get into that one restaurant. There are many good restaurants that aren't so well known and serve great southern fare. The waterfront area is fun, but the best food is tucked away in the myriad of pretty squares. I, personally, hate to stand in line for food (a throwback to military years) and would ask around and choose another restaurant that was less trendy if I had to stand in line to get in. Do some walking and enjoy the great southern ambience of this beautiful city.

Michael in FtW said:
Like marmalady said - about the only drawback is it is "first come - first served" .... and Paula draws a BIG crowd!

The drive from JAX will probably be about 2.5 - 3 hours (depending on the day of week and time of day) - but it shouldn't take more than about 3 hours, usually. If you leave JAX by about 6am - you should be able to get in line by about 9am to get your name on the list (they start taking names at 9:30) for a lunch seating between 11am - 3pm.

You might want to check out her website - it includes driving directions from JAX. It might also be worth investing in a phone call to see what they suggest about day-of-week and times. I would guess Paula has probably done more to keep a "captive" audience in Savannah for a day or two than anyone since William T. Sherman visited in December, 1864.

Michael, you're right about your info. When I was attempting to do this from Atlanta, I did call L&S. They told me about the wait, the line, the time it takes to get there from Atlanta and all else. I simply wasn't comfortable doing it that day. But, I'll go into the web site and check out the driving directions from Jax. Thanks again. I wouldn't go to Savannah if I couldn't for sure get into L&S. That's my prime reason for going there. I know I hear it's gorgeous etc and I will enjoy it, but I am going to sample Paula's flare/faire.

itS BEAUTIFUL AND WORTH THE WAIT. WE WERE THERE IN FEB. ON OUR WAY HOME BUFFALO, NY. STOPPED BEFORE WE WENT TO BUFFALO BUT FOUND OUT THAT THERE IS A FIRSTY CCOME FIRST SERVE. AND COULDNT WAIT. BUT DID STOP ON WAY HOME BACK TO ORLANDO. ITS IS A HUGE PLACE AND WE WERE SEATED UPSTAIR. IT WAS DELICIOUS FOOD. I MEET HER 2 SONS. THEY WERE BACK BY THE BATHROOMS. PAULA WAS THERE BUT DOING A CLASS AT HER BROTHERS PLACE. WE DIDNT HAVE TIME TO GO TO BUBBA'S PLACE BUT I THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TIME TO VISIT THERE IF YOU HAVE TIME. WE DIDNT BUT PLAN ON GOING BACK. ALSO THERE ARE QUAINT SHOPS ALL AROUND. JUST A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT. NEXT TIME WE GO I WANT TO STAY THERE AND WALK AROUND.. HOPE YOU ENJOY IT THERE.

My sister and BIL try to stop there every year when they drive to Florida. They love it! BIL raves about the fried chicken.

My husband and I were there last week and had lunch. This was our second trip to Savannah. Both times we came from a town in the northern part of Fulton County. Once you get through Atlanta, it is a pleasant drive. If you get to the restaurant early and get your name on the list you can do like others have said and wander around in the historic district. You don't need to wait at the restaurant the entire time. River St. has lots of small shops to browse. The Juliette Gordon Low (founder of the Girl Scouts) is nearby. The visitors' center is a little farther away, but we parked there (it does cost) and walked. The next day we made reservations at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House (Uncle Bubba is her brother) for lunch. The food at both places is excellent. My husband's favorites are her fried chicken and her macaroni and cheese. I got to meet Paula this time and she is just like she is on TV.

I live in Charleston SC and my sil came to visit last year so we made that one of our trips.
They were VERY sweet and helpful since it was a REALLY hot day and I am disabled. They had me come in and sit and wait in the A/C for an opening
I don't know if I'd make the trip again. The food was wonderful and I just love Paula but down here in the Low Country we have several places that are equal to hers.
But for any of you that don't have the same availability of Southern Cooking near you, it was worth the trip. I would like to try Bubba's in the future

I've personally never been there......although I think I will next year. Anyway, a dear friend of mine has went down there for a vacation for the last 2 years and she absolutely loves it. She absolutely loves food and said there were only a few things on the buffet that she didn't care for. I think the buffet was like $16.95 but don't quote me on that. She also always makes a point of going to Bubba's too as they love the food there too. Paula I guess doesn't spend as much time at the L & S but more time at Bubba's.
Like I said I think I'll go down with her next year. Not so much to go to L&S or Bubba's but because she said its so beautiful down there and friendly. I just want to walk around and experience all I can and to see the ocean.

We are going to Gatlinburg for a week next weekend and are staying in Savannah for two nights on the way back. I'm so glad I got this info about the line and the wait. We will be there on Fri-Sat I hope it's not worse. Also does anyone know where in Gatlinburg or Pideon Forge I can get some good whole fried catfish not deboned filets? Thanks!

My husband and I went there on a Wed. in early summer and put our name on the list as soon as they allowed. It was already such a long list. We checked in a bit later and were surprised that we were able to be seated at the bar very quickly. We still got to enjoy the FABULOUS food without the wait. The crab soup is amazing! I can't wait to go again.

Back
Top Bottom