HI - the Big Island ... suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last time I was in Hawaii, I was so young, I don't remember it.

All I can recommend, is a couple restaurants that the chef's have written cookbooks. Someone already mentioned Roy Yamaguchi's restaurant, but don't forget Sam Choy's restaurant either.

Of course, I haven't been to either one, but the food in the cookbooks sounded great!

China Town Duck with Tequila Sauce
Chef de Cuisine John Matsubara

Ingredients:
1 breast China Town Duck
4 pcs. Won Ton Pi
1 cup Avocado
1 tsp. Red Onion
1 tsp. Cilantro
1 tsp. Lime Juice
1 cup Fresh Plum Sauce Recipe
1 tsp. Jose Cuervo Tequila
1 tsp. Li Hing Mui Powder
½ cup Butternut Squash
½ cup Green Papaya Julienne
1 tsp. Kim Chee Base

Method of Preparation:

Avocado Mousse:
Puree avocado, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a blender until pureed. Season with salt and pepper.

Won Ton Pi:
Quarter the squares to form chips, fry. Drain on paper towel.

Tequila Sauce:

Mix fresh plum sauce recipe with li hing mui powder and tequila. Season to taste.

Pumpkin Slaw:
Julienne pumpkin and papaya. Add salt and rest for 10 min. Squeeze all water out and add kim chee base. Season to taste.

Duck:
Butcher duck into quarters removing all the bones. Sear on high heat to crisp the skin. Reserve in warm area covered with plastic wrap.

Plum Sauce

Ingredients:
1 cup Fresh plums
1 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
½ cup Sugar
½ cup Sherry Wine

Method of Preparation:
Heat all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 30 Minutes. Let sauce cool and then puree in a blender.

Arrange three tablespoons of Avocado Mousse on a platter. Top each with a Crispy Won Ton and China Town Duck. Drizzle with Tequila Sauce. Add two tablespoons of Pumpkin Slaw as garnish.
Bon Appetit!

corazon90 said:
China Town Duck with Tequila Sauce

Chef de Cuisine John Matsubara

Ingredients:
1 breast China Town Duck
4 pcs. Won Ton Pi
1 cup Avocado
1 tsp. Red Onion
1 tsp. Cilantro
1 tsp. Lime Juice
1 cup Fresh Plum Sauce Recipe
1 tsp. Jose Cuervo Tequila
1 tsp. Li Hing Mui Powder
½ cup Butternut Squash
½ cup Green Papaya Julienne
1 tsp. Kim Chee Base

Method of Preparation:

Avocado Mousse:
Puree avocado, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a blender until pureed. Season with salt and pepper.

Won Ton Pi:
Quarter the squares to form chips, fry. Drain on paper towel.

Tequila Sauce:​

Mix fresh plum sauce recipe with li hing mui powder and tequila. Season to taste.

Pumpkin Slaw:
Julienne pumpkin and papaya. Add salt and rest for 10 min. Squeeze all water out and add kim chee base. Season to taste.

Duck:
Butcher duck into quarters removing all the bones. Sear on high heat to crisp the skin. Reserve in warm area covered with plastic wrap.

Plum Sauce

Ingredients:
1 cup Fresh plums
1 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
½ cup Sugar
½ cup Sherry Wine

Method of Preparation:
Heat all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 30 Minutes. Let sauce cool and then puree in a blender.

Arrange three tablespoons of Avocado Mousse on a platter. Top each with a Crispy Won Ton and China Town Duck. Drizzle with Tequila Sauce. Add two tablespoons of Pumpkin Slaw as garnish.
Bon Appetit!

Cora, this looks to die for!!! I will try to do some research on some of the ingredients, as I am not familiar with/worked with same before. Thank you!!! Did you check out the rest of the spa's menu? Very nice!

I hope I am not too late! My Hawaii connection came through. All area codes are 808.

The place I was thinking of is the Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant (967-7366)

He also recommends Cafe Pesto (969-6640), Pescatore (969-9090) and Edelweiss (885-6800)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom