HI - the Big Island ... suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
We are going to Hawaii in a couple weeks! We will be on the "big island," staying on the Kona Coast, but I'd love any recommendations for the whole island. I'm sure we will be seeing everything we can all over the island. Thanks all!

Hang on corazon, Wasabi can help you on that one!!

Psst....Got a big trunk?:angel:

Last edited:
Oh, have fun!!! I love Hawaii, though have only been to Honolulu. Wasabi should be around soon. :)

Here I am. Corazon, you will be going to one of my fav islands. There is so much to see and do. Here are some must sees-Visit a coffee plantation and get our Kona coffee ,go to Waimea Town and see where our paniolos (cowboys) live and work, Pu'ohonua O Hanaunau is a restored Hawaiian village. The big island is where they grow those beautiful protea flowers and where we get most of our mac nuts for our delish candy. Go to Mauna Kea the world's tallest mountain. October 7th, Hilo Town will have a Tahiti Fete. Lots of food, crafts etc,. And I saved the best for last, Hawaii Volcano Park. Breathtaking!

I live on the island of Oahu, about a 45 minute flight to The Big Island. Be sure to rent a car. The Big Island is "big". As far as places to eat goes, I cannot help you there because when we visit, we stay with friends and cook out alot. I hope you have a terrific trip and bring back some pictures.
Aloha, Wasabi

great chili

In Kamuela, where Parker Ranch is, there is a restaurant by the highway. They have the best chili there. Parker Ranch is a real working ranch with cattle. We always wonder wheather they get their meat from the ranch directly.

stone cookies...

On the way up to the Volcanos National Park the highway passes a small district called Mountain View. It is near another district called Puna. In Mountain View, there is a bakery that is known for their "Stone Cookies" They are unique because they are hard as rock. If you didn't know that they were supposed to be hard, you would think that the batch of cookies did not come out right. The islanders buy these cookies to bring back from the Big Island when they travel.

If you see Dog the Bounty Hunter, tell him I sad, "What's up Bra?"

Ever see the show? They don't say "brother," they say "bra."

It's goofy, but I can't stop imitating him to my closest friends and vice versa. You guys should hear my VoiceMial. My friend Tommy is NUTS!!!

RJ

Ardge, If I ever run into Dog, I'll tell him Ardge said Howzit bra.

Ardge said:
If you see Dog the Bounty Hunter, tell him I sad, "What's up Bra?"

Ever see the show? They don't say "brother," they say "bra."

It's goofy, but I can't stop imitating him to my closest friends and vice versa. You guys should hear my VoiceMial. My friend Tommy is NUTS!!!

RJ

I love Dog!!!! My class thinks its hilarious that their teacher watches it but i love it. Sometimes his wife's outfits are a bit out there though!!!

Wasabi, have you ever been up the saddle road? Is it worth going up there? Unfortunatly, we will be limited in some of the things we want to do while were there, that's what happen when you travel with a 2-year old and a gal whose 7 months pregnant. :) So far, all I have planned is the rainforest zoo and the farmer's market in Hilo.

I do not recommend going up the saddle road. For one there is really nothing to see and secondly the road is very bummpy and dangerous. This road is used mainly for the military to go to and from a camp.

It's been a few years, so I'm a bit out of date. Wasabi can probably correct me. We used to stay at Kiluea Military Camp or at a freind's little cabin in the woods, and I'm with those who have said to go to Kamuela ... go to the grocery store and see if you can get a Parker Ranch Steak and have a cook out if you have the facilities to do so. There was a restaurant on the volcano that used to be a boy scout camp that has a huge fireplace and wonderful food. Hilo used to have a very small inexpensive Japanese restaurant called something like KK Tei (I'm really reaching here). I always preferred Hilo to Kona, it was more down-to-earth. But it's been a number of years. Remember that The Big Island is can be cold, especially in the winter at night. I'm with Wasabi ... you need to rent a car or you will be at the mercies of tour buses, which have a tendency to have some sort of agreement and you wind up at very commercial places. Wasabi, if you can think of the name of that boy scout camp, chime in here. One of their features was great game. I suspect I'll find it ... too late to do anyone any good!

Oh, it seems to me there was a great place where you could buy orchid plants to send home (and other kinds of tropical plants and flowers). The orchids were just spectacular. Gee, I think I'll buy myself an orchid from Hawaii for Christmas this year (Yes, I still have freinds in Hawaii ....) While you are there, if you have family or freinds (particularly mothers and MILs) thing about taking home brochures for flowers and flowering plants. Protea, ginger, orchids, well, almost all tropical flowers last a long time if cared for well (over a month!). Oh, dearie, me, why haven't I treated myself to a Hawaiian bouquet? I think I'll do it soon.

Claire, you might be talking about The Volcano House. I didn't know it was a boy scout camp. The view from The Volcano House is breathtaking. My favorite part of the big island is the volcano.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom