How to search for restaurants near the path of a road-trip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I'll be driving from Texas to Colorado this week. I've been looking at trip planning software but none of them allow me to see restaurants that are located near my path.

I'll likely be having lunch in Texas and dinner in Kansas or Oklahoma. I hope to not have to have lunch at Burger King.

I don't really have time for long side-trips so anything close to the freeway is best.

Any chance you can get your hands on a GPS? The prices are pretty low now. I love the Points of Interest button. It locates you, then you pick the category (shopping, gas, parks, restaurants, etc.) and it lists them for you, then gives you turn-by-turn to get there. This works best on larger roads. It's not infallible, but it's better than stabbing at the dark. Of course, you can find the most interesting places that way...

I was thinking the same thing HMGgal. I use mine to find restaurants all the time. I ask it to find restaurants and then leave it on that setting as I drive. It constantly updates the list with places that are close to me at that moment.

I did run across a website for exactly what you are looking for Mr. Dove, unfortunately, I did not save it and do not recall what it was called. I thought it might help you to know that it does exist though so maybe with enough searching you can find it.

I've tried doing the google thing. The thing is that it is a 1000 mile trip (more or less) and I don't want to google every town along that path. A GPS would be perfect but we're not really in the market for that. We don't travel much and don't drive much outside of our regular home-work routine.

I'm hoping to find some amazing BBQ somewhere between Killeen, TX and Amarillo, TX (that's where I'm staying for the night).

I have pretty much the same question, However I ate there before with my folks.

Ok we were going to Saint Augustine Florida and it was near the middle of the trip we pulled off the interstate into a small town that has a Tie place like you wouldn't believe.

At first when you walk into the place it looks like it should belong in a strip mall the food photograph's on the menu looked like you shouldn't eat there, and the food was $20-$50 a plate depending on what you ordered. Anyways we didn't care we needed some where to sit for 45 minutes since we've been n the road all day and it felt like the best place to sit, We ordered Our food and it was FREAKING GOOD, Like Iron Chef, I mean Bobby flay would have ate here the food was that freaking good!

The food sizes on the plate felt like you had 2 plates stacked up on each other but you got no drinks with the meal though.

I think it was in Indiana? But how can I find this restaurant again?

I agree that Yelp is great, but it does not help if you do not know the area and are looking for places on a specific route. It is a GREAT site though and I highly recommend it.

Hi Mr. Dove,
I've had luck with chowhound.com, but as others have said it really helps to know your route and the names of the towns that you will be driving through.

I keep a little gadget called an "AutoPilot" in my car. You can put in the highway, the exit number and choose places to eat, rest areas, hospitals, etc and it will bring them all up. They are a bit hard to find, but worth looking and only cost $25.00 or less. I think dh got my last one on ebay for quite a bit less.

Back
Top Bottom