IL - Chicago area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hiyas,
I go to Chicago every other month or so because I got a kidney/pancreas transplant there a couple years ago. I had a pizza that was to DIE for, we dont have pizzas like that here in Evansville Indiana! Anyways whats good around the Northwestern University Campus? I sometimes stay overnight and wondered about all the places I haven't seen or tasted yet lol. Any ideas are appreciated.

I am not familiar with that area but some of my girlfriends are. Gino's pizza is good, Heaven on Seven has good cajun food, if you like that.

My girlfriend delivered both her kids there. Her biggest suggestion was that the nurses at the hospital have a big book of restaurants and menus. The nurses have good recommendations - and most of these restaurants will deliver to the hospital - right to your room!

What a small world, one of my very best friends live in Evansville, IL.

I will ask around and post more info as I get it! Good luck!

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
I know all the great places. Well known and hidden. If you are going to Chi-town just ask! :chef:
Oh yeah??? :rolleyes: Your name must be Zagat!

I grew up there, and still spend a lot of time there, and I'll just BET there are at least 300 great places you don't[ know about. Chicago and environs is a mighty BIG place!

Nice to know you are such a wealth of information, but it's usually best to be just a bit modest.... :ermm:

Whoa, ChefJune, I think you need to cut our Sush some slack.

He posted his original invitation back when this thread (the Road Forum) was still very new, and he was just being hospitable in being from Chicago and wanting to steer fellow foodies toward good places.

I know you've got some experience on your side compared to Sushi, but I bet you haven't been to every single great place in NYC either.

:ohmy: ChefJune thats plain RUDE! :mad: This is NOT a place where members fight each other. If you have a beef with me then take it off-line.

Discuss Cooking is an environment that is conducive of have fun, enjoying each others personality, sharing cooking recipes and treating people with kindness. I hope you understand that.

Mudbud and Corinne and MicheleMarie thank you for your supportive words. I appreciate you sticking up for me! :) Maybe ChefJune just had a bad day and needed to beat someone up.

ChefJune thats plain RUDE! This is NOT a place where members fight each other. If you have a beef with me then take it off-line.
I don't have a beef with you, Sushi. and I owe you a HUGE apology. that wasnt nice at all. I don't know what got into me. When I re-read what I wrote I was horrified.

I have only been here a couple of months, and I have NO idea what you do or don't know about Chicago, but regardless, my remarks were thoughtless and uncalled for. Please forgive me.

ChefJune, I think you are a GREAT addition to our forum. :chef: You have wonderful ideas and comments! :clap: Its water under a bridge. Lets have fun! *HUUUUUUG* :)

Don't forget, if you're going to be there for awhile, or if you live there, take a 3 hour drive and come to Galena. It is a beautiful drive, especially in the spring-summer-fall (right now it is rather barren). Freinds often fly into O'Hare and rent a convertable just for the drive alone. Right now the drive isn't so great, but the town is dressed up in beautiful holiday finery. There is a B&B on virtually every street corner, all beautiful. And if you want to get a good workout in, climb our steps!

I have never been to Galena but have family members and friends that have. I hear it is absolutely beautiful. I am hoping to make it there sometime in this lifetime! Thanks for the tip, Claire!

Hubby and I picked Galena out of many places after three years on the road full-time. Unfortunately the local restaurants are inconsistent. We love the Chicago restaurants, but that is a 7-hour round trip to the most close 'burb. When we do go there we look for ethnic restaurants. Since there is no Asian food in Galena, we would probably choose that. One time there was a great Spanish restaurant for tapas, another time a sushi bar. The last time I went with a blind girlfriend to help her out at the hotel, etc, and we hit the Billy Goat Tavern; what fun and what great history.

Hey, Banana, I'm late chiming in here, but I prefer tuna (top grade ahi) to salmon -- when I moved to Hawaii (when I was in my mid twenties) I didn't like fish/seafood in any form, and ahi sashimi turned me around. Ironic that I learned to like raw fish before liking cooked!

I spent a week with an old boyfriend in Chicago many many years ago. We walked out of the O'Hare Airport to get our rental car and it was snowing.

We went in February and stayed at the Drake Hotel near the lake. We went to the top of the Sears Tower and all I saw was flat land. We dined at many fine restaurants and the good was delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom