IN - Kokomo .. halfway from Indianapolis to South Bend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Kokomo Indiana--where I currently reside...

If you are passing through just off the highway on LaFountain street(major street) we have Jamies Soda Fountain..

Hand jerked sodas, real ice cream shakes, fantastic simple potato soup, and a grilled tenderloin that is hard to beat.. Don't forget the hot chips..

That is if you can pass up Jon's Thai food restaurant. Here in the middle of Indiana, authentic delicious Thai food!!!!

A little different taste and harder to find is Big Rels. Offering up Chicago style hotdogs(my favorite!!), hand cut Gyros, great burgers, and off the wall ribs on Friday and Saturday..

One more.. Neds Corner Pub.. legendary in Kokomo. They make a breaded tenderloin you won't believe. Order the large, it's as big as large plate. Hand pounded thin, breaded and fried.. I've never had a better one anywhere!

For a small blue collar town.. we have some good eats.

Sounds great!
I lived in Crawfordsville for a little while. (ya I know, WHY!?!)
There was nothing delicious there.

Sounds great!
I lived in Crawfordsville for a little while. (ya I know, WHY!?!)
There was nothing delicious there.

I grew up in Crawfordsville!!

There used to be. We ran a little grill shop called the Silver Shanty, gone for well over 20 years now. It was down town on Main street WEST of Washington street where part of the bank parking lot is. We had referrals for customers all the way from gas stations on the interstate. Mom made home made specials every day and home made pies. I figured out she rolled out over 10,000 pies by hand..no machine work at all.

I worked as a grill chef from the age of 9 until I went off to college on Friday night and all day on Saturday..

I worked at that bank...
But it sounds like I was about 10 years too late. Sure sounds like it woulda been better than Applebee's!

Silver Shanty - Crawfordsville, IN

My great uncle, Bob Holman, owned the Silver Shanty in Crawfordsville in the 50's and maybe into the 60's I'm thinking. He used to serve us pork sandwiches with home made relish. If anybody has that recipe, I would love to have it.

Back
Top Bottom