ISO hotel room recipe ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnoliasouth

Assistant Cook
Hi all. Before I go on, this isn't a travel dining question for those who may think it is.

I'm brand spanking new to the forums and goodness knows I sure wish I had found this before. What a wonderful site, and the icing is that they're full of such amazingly knowledgeable and helpful folks too! I'm happy to join and be a part of it. :chef:

All that said, my husband and I are taking an amazing road trip at the end of this month. At present, our plan is to visit seventeen states. I'm just so excited! Most of these I've never been to.

Does anyone have any tips, or recipes, for cooking in hotel rooms? We're going economy so we'll only have a coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator in the rooms. Naturally the cheapest and easiest, with less ingredients, the better.

I've found quite a few road-trip snack recipes, but I'm also looking for a bit of heartier fare.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking take a Cooler...To keep a few things cold while you travel...Refrigerate them at night --- Take along, and buy "Cokes" .....In a Hotel or Motel they can cost big bucks!
Microwaved Potatoes loaded with your favorites are good!

Have Fun & Welcome to DC!!!

Hello and welcome. Sounds like fun! Take pictures! LOL
How about a crock pot? You can have something cooking while your sightseeing.
Also an electric skillet. A lot of one pot meals in that as well as being able to do burgers, dogs,etc. The fridges in the rooms should help as well as a cooler or two. Plenty of paperplates and condiments that can be thrown in a bag as well.
I have a recipe for mock swedish meatballs that can go in a elec. skillet. Let me know and I'll PM a couple of recipes to you.
Kathleen

Buy a power converter. Plug it into your car and you can plug in a crock pot, cook while you are zooming down the road!

UB, has the idea..definitely a cooler.

You could pre make salads put in ziplock bags
A portable small charcoal grill,bring grilling tools.Coleman stove,just the basic pots/pans,just in case you want to stop on the road and make your meals.
Marinate some chicken, place them in ziplock bags.Toss as you go.Make up hamburger patties,sausages,canned chili.
This time of year fruit/veggie stands are a good finds.
The one thing I forgot on our last trip was all purpose wet wipes.

Road Trip Recipes

Have a great trip :)

Munky.

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. I too agree about the cooler, but I don't believe I've ever actually been on a trip where I didn't take one. :) I'd be lost without it!

How about a crock pot?

Buy a power converter. Plug it into your car and you can plug in a crock pot, cook while you are zooming down the road!
Do you know how brilliant those ideas are??? I cannot believe that thought never even crossed my mind.

In fact, as soon as I read that I put in an order at Amazon for a 2.5 qt crock. I use my large one all the time, but I make big fancy meals with it. I'll have to get one for just the two of us on the trip. It'll pay for itself in the money I save.

I thought another thing I could do is make up a few spice mixes, to kill the plain flavors. The mixes I've thought about so far are Italian, Southwestern, and Cajun (I live in Cajun Country). I can use those in lieu of carrying around a lot of spices or buying pre-mixed spices. I'll also carry instant bouillon and then I can just toss in a meat, a vegetable and a liquid. When it's nearly done, I'll add the spices.

I'm still up for ideas too. These are just great!

ETA: Thanks for the welcom!

You're welcome. The spices sound like a great idea. Would you keep them in a ziploc or just little bowls/containers with lids? Guess it depends on how much you take.
We're the same way with the cooler. Even if it's just a weekend trip and we just put sodas and either wine or beer in it.
I usually have a grocery bag full of snacks for on the road too. And I, being the co-pilot just turn around to the back seat and grab the snack and a cold drink. I always bring a plastic glass for me. I don't like drinking out of the can or bottle.
http://fp.enter.net/~rburk/crockpot/crockpot.htm/QUOTE]

Here's a couple of sites that you might get a kick out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, you can cook on your engine too, while you are driving...
Cooking great meals with your car engine. The heat is on. | Wise Bread

One thing you should consider is doing your own Diners, DriveIns and Dives.
We road tripped from NC to WY, and our rule was not to eat in any chain or national restaurants. Was great fun, especially in the little towns in KS and CO.

What fun!!! The food was probably better and waaaay cheaper too!

magnoliasouth - good luck on your trip!

DD played tournament softball and then college softball growing up so we spend a lot of time traveling and staying in hotels. We did the crock pot thing and it worked out well. Just be sure to get some of those crockpot liners and a dishpan because it's a real pain in the behind to wash dishes in a hotel.

Those new steamer bags are great for cooking veggies, poulty and fish in the microwave. They have a bunch of recipes for the steamer bags on The Biggest Loser website

I hope you have a fun time!

Just be sure to get some of those crockpot liners and a dishpan because it's a real pain in the behind to wash dishes in a hotel.

Those new steamer bags are great for cooking veggies, poulty and fish in the microwave.
Ohhh great ideas. Hopefully I can find liners for a small crock. I already put my order in at Amazon. :(

Hey, you can cook on your engine too...
You know, I actually remember when that was posted at Wise Bread. It's one of my favorite blogs! We could do that, but I've a feeling hubby might not want to. :LOL:

One thing you should consider is doing your own Diners, DriveIns and Dives. We road tripped from NC to WY, and our rule was not to eat in any chain or national restaurants. Was great fun, especially in the little towns in KS and CO.
Exactly! In fact, for the past several days I've been mapping out our trip and looking up local stuff on the internet. Many even have menus online so I can check their prices and make sure it has food that we think sounds interesting.

It's just so amazing because 15 years ago this wasn't possible at all. You just had to grab an atlas and hope you find stuff on the way. Now, it's full preparation!

All About Food - Crockpot Recipes
Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
Excellent links, even if this site won't let me post them in a reply yet (I need x number of posts first)!Thanks so much for those. I believe I ran across Roadside America several years ago when it first got started. It may have been another one, but in any case at the time it was very limited. It's an astonishing resource now and I completely forgot about it! Thank you for that. :) Also thank you for your determined diligence in sharing it. ;)

Again, thanks to all!

No problem Mags. I like querky our of the way things and you sounded like you did too. I envy you your adventure.

Hey, you can cook on your engine too, while you are driving...
Cooking great meals with your car engine. The heat is on. | Wise Bread

One thing you should consider is doing your own Diners, DriveIns and Dives.
We road tripped from NC to WY, and our rule was not to eat in any chain or national restaurants. Was great fun, especially in the little towns in KS and CO.

I have to jump on this :) I spent the first 11 years of my surveying career in the field and found that cooking on the motor is a great way to have good hot food when on the run. DW even got me a cook book on it one year. It's was leftovers most of the time, double wrapped in aluminum foil so juices stayed in and the food stayed clean, and I would place it in a snug spot near the manifold. But you have to be careful when getting right on the manifold ... it burns quickly if you're running down the road, especially on a hot day.

I was the envy of the other crews and crew members because I had hot home made food everyday and they either had cold cut sandwiches or had to pay for fast food ... which gets expensive if done on a daily basis.

No problem Mags. I like querky our of the way things and you sounded like you did too. I envy you your adventure.
Oh no, don't get me wrong! I certainly AM the kind of person who would love that. :) My hubby is a bit more... well... different than me in that respect is all. I will definitely mention it to him tonight. He may surprise me.

As for the envy, I tell you it's like a dream for me. Clay and I have only been married for two years. I was married before for 20 years and while we saw a lot during that marriage (we even lived in Alaska for 6 years and drove all the way there from Georgia), this is much MUCH different.

My father's family is from Maine and all my life I have wanted to visit there. Everyone in my family, I mean EVERYONE, has been there except for me. We're going to a family reunion on the 4th in Maine and I cannot tell you how excited I am.

Then Clay suggested us taking a road trip along with it. I'm a history nerd and one of my favorite points in history is the Revolution. So we're going all along the coast down through Boston, Philadelphia, DC and even through New York City, which I've never been to either.

On the way up we're going through Tennesee, Kentucky and so forth up to Niagra Falls.

I just can't believe it. I had come to the conclusion that I would never see that part of the country ever, and then Clay came into my life. He's just wonderful! :wub:

So hang in there. A trip like this may just find its way into your lap one day. :lucky: :flowers:

DW even got me a cook book on it one year. It's was leftovers most of the time, double wrapped in aluminum foil so juices stayed in and the food stayed clean, and I would place it in a snug spot near the manifold. But you have to be careful when getting right on the manifold ... it burns quickly if you're running down the road, especially on a hot day.
Now what you have said here is what I can use to grab his attention on it. After I read Kathleen's idea and remembered about the post, I Googled it and to my dismay I found cookbooks, just like you mention here!

It's definitely new to me and will take a little experimentation on my part, but I think it's a fabulous idea.

Well, magnoliasouth, if you're going to travel through my state, you might want to put Columbus-Belmont State Park, which is only a couple of minutes from my house.

It's one of the most beautiful parks in the country/state and overlooks the Mississippi River. Lots and lots and lots of history, too. Not Revolutionary, but Civil War era stuff.

Another area that's filled with things to see and do is Paducah, KY, which is where I go for shopping, dining and entertainment. The whole downtown area, near the floodwall (with murals), is beautifully restored. There are even horse-drawn carriage rides on Saturday nights.

Come on down!!!

Then Clay suggested us taking a road trip along with it. I'm a history nerd and one of my favorite points in history is the Revolution. So we're going all along the coast down through Boston, Philadelphia, DC and even through New York City, which I've never been to either.

On the way up we're going through Tennesee, Kentucky and so forth up to Niagra Falls.

We've done that somewhat broken up and never stayed very long anywhere except DC. Take some time there, there is a lot to see and you wont do it in a day. We took nearly a full day to walk through Arlington National Cemetery and Iwo Jima Monument, there's just that much to it (bring your walkin' shoes for that hike too!) Don't drive in DC either, take the Metro rail ... driving in DC is for either the locals or the insane. I'm a huge history buff too, American and World, and the older the better for me when it comes to locations, older and full of historical importance. I haven't been to Boston to NYC yet, but I will. The others you mentioned you'll love just because of their age and significance, I do envy you as well. I want to go to Maine as well!

We've done that somewhat broken up and never stayed very long anywhere except DC. Take some time there, there is a lot to see and you wont do it in a day. We took nearly a full day to walk through Arlington National Cemetery and Iwo Jima Monument, there's just that much to it (bring your walkin' shoes for that hike too!) Don't drive in DC either, take the Metro rail ... driving in DC is for either the locals or the insane. I'm a huge history buff too, American and World, and the older the better for me when it comes to locations, older and full of historical importance. I haven't been to Boston to NYC yet, but I will. The others you mentioned you'll love just because of their age and significance, I do envy you as well. I want to go to Maine as well!

I lived in DC for 30 years and I wholly endorse freefallin1309's suggestion of using DC's Metro system. It goes EVERYWHERE there.

One site you really shouldn't miss is the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Bring tissues. It's a life-changing experience and one you will never forget.

Back
Top Bottom