Lincoln, Nebraska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Anyone here from or familiar with Lincoln? We're going to Colorado to visit friends, with an over night stop in Lincoln both ways. We particularly like small, ethnic, Mom & Pop type places, or real local haunts.

Anyone here from or familiar with Lincoln? We're going to Colorado to visit friends, with an over night stop in Lincoln both ways. We particularly like small, ethnic, Mom & Pop type places, or real local haunts.

My daughter is an electrical engineer working for Zachry corporation in Omaha and two years ago had an apartment in Bellevue[no not the nuthouse]. Lincoln is typical of most of Nebraska. People from that state do not know how to cook! The food there is so blah, it might have been made by my Irish grandmother. However there is hope. Do search for the little mom and pop places, they sometimes are the only bright spot in an otherwise tasteless food crawl. The ethnic restaurants are sometimes good, but be warned, if they want to stay in business, they will alter the ingredients to their regular customers liking. Also, when nebraskans make chili, they will use odd things like white or kidney beans and ketchup. They have never heard of pinto beans or the even better anasazi beans. So in general, don't be surprised if the food seems under seasoned. Some of the chains are alright, like the texas road house. Another thing, even if the parking lot is full, that is no guarantee of quality, because they don't know that the food is flavorless. Oh, my wife just reminded me to tell you that their pastries are especially tasteless.

They Play Football big time in Lincoln, So I'm thinking burly Steakhouses and Prime-Rib the size of a house. Maybe not. The last time I was in Nebraska, I too was in Omaha. Personally, when I travel, which isn't often enough, I like Local restaurants, or if it's a chain, one that I haven't been to, family size, diner types and where there is some local atmosphere. Your post is still young, so hopefully you will receive more tips before your trip.

These links will give you some choices and preview what the city offers.

LivinLincoln.com Dining Guide

Lincoln Restaurants: Read Lincoln Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Back
Top Bottom