Looking for input on a tipping issue I've had in the past

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just asked my wife about Panera as ahe goes to one fairly often for lunch on-the-go, and it's the healthiest option for fast food. When I mentioned the tipping thing, she said that yes, they try it here, then she gave the Bronx salute, spit a raspberry salute, and said, "'I ain't tipping them for self service."

Besides the fact that I may have married a female Archie Bunker, I completely agree.

<<plplplplplplplplllll>>
:LOL: If we lived near each other, I'd want your wife as my new best friend. Alas, that will never happen. We no longer need a huge house such as those in your neighborhood, and you'd feel like your slumming in our neighborhood with its 3-bedroom, 2 1/2 bath basic dwellings. At least that's how we felt when we moved from our OH home. :ermm:

We use our card for everything...Not sure why it's something to avoid.
Same thing here. Even our doctor co-pays go on Discover. Add up the points and never pay interest, that's how we roll. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that half of my small kitchen appliances were courtesy of our Discover cash back bonus by way of BedBathAndBeyond. :)

Sweetie, there is no such thing as a "free breakfast" in a hotel. It is priced into the cost of the room and you have paid for it.
While that is true, the fact remains that many people don't think of tipping when they aren't presented with a bill. This was one of my pet peeves when I tended bar. Sometimes the boss would give a free round to a regular customer. Almost none of them tipped on the free round. :ermm:

Bravo Larry for remembering to tip on the "free" breakfast.

Almost always do.
Even today, I used a gift card, so I got the meal for free, so I actually gave a better tip than I would have if I actually paid for the meal out of my own pocket. I know they're getting full price anyway since it was basically pre-paid, but i figured we both win. I saved money cause I used a gift card, and the server makes out a bit better too.

And although it is true, that they clearly incorporate the price of the breakfast ( and any other amenities ( free breakfast, free wi-fi ...) into the price, Ironically Ive found the more expensive hotels to offer less "Free" benefits.

I recently stayed at a low end marriott brand got free wi fi and free breakfast. I think it was like $130 a night. As I am typing this response, I am currently sitting in a room at the Springfield MGM, no free breakfast, and additional "resort fee" and its costing me North of $600 for the night . I can say the same about the marriott marquis in NYC resort free, $400 + a night $80 to valet the car, and guess what, No free breakfast. Their lower level brands are the ones that offer it.

To me , the free breakfast isa convenience thing. Im not much of a breakfast person anyway, so to be able to get up, grab something quick and get back on the road is a big time saver ( especially when on a long road trip). That being said, we stock up the car when we are on long road trips, cause many times we leave before the free breakfast even starts ( which is usually at 6:30am).

In Sweden going out and eating is expensive, compared to USA, but we pay the wages for the staff with the cost of the food, so no tip needed. You only tip if the food was GREAT.

While that is true, the fact remains that many people don't think of tipping when they aren't presented with a bill. This was one of my pet peeves when I tended bar. Sometimes the boss would give a free round to a regular customer. Almost none of them tipped on the free round. :ermm:

I have left a couple of bucks for a tip at a buffet restaurant when the attendants were particularly attentive, kept the used dishes cleared off and drinks filled, etc. I also leave a tip for the "free" hotel breakfast when I'm traveling. And i'm quite aware that the cost is rolled into the price of the room, but they don't deduct anything if you don't use it, so even if there is nothing very exciting about it, I'll still have bagel or a muffin just so I feel that I'm getting what I already paid for.

I will usually give a small tip to the car hop when I go to Sonic and order using the speaker rather than the drive thru. I don't tip where I have to pick up the food myself and clear the table afterward. I would not ever leave a tip at Panera after standing in line to order and having pick up my own food.

I've been to a lot of gatherings where they have a bartender serving drinks from a free bar. I always stick a buck or so in the tip jar each time I get a drink.

I also will adjust what I leave in a downward direction if the service is notably bad. I particularly dislike tipping at a place where the tips are pooled and then split evenly among the wait staff. I feel that I should be able to give a better tip for better service and have that tip go to the one who actually did the job I approve of.

I have left a couple of bucks for a tip at a buffet restaurant when the attendants were particularly attentive, kept the used dishes cleared off and drinks filled, etc. I also leave a tip for the "free" hotel breakfast when I'm traveling. And i'm quite aware that the cost is rolled into the price of the room, but they don't deduct anything if you don't use it, so even if there is nothing very exciting about it, I'll still have bagel or a muffin just so I feel that I'm getting what I already paid for.

I will usually give a small tip to the car hop when I go to Sonic and order using the speaker rather than the drive thru. I don't tip where I have to pick up the food myself and clear the table afterward. I would not ever leave a tip at Panera after standing in line to order and having pick up my own food.

I've been to a lot of gatherings where they have a bartender serving drinks from a free bar. I always stick a buck or so in the tip jar each time I get a drink.

I also will adjust what I leave in a downward direction if the service is notably bad. I particularly dislike tipping at a place where the tips are pooled and then split evenly among the wait staff. I feel that I should be able to give a better tip for better service and have that tip go to the one who actually did the job I approve of.

I agree with that in bold... I've never cared for "participation trophy's"..

As an aside... I find that I tip a bit more, here in Missouri, than I did in expensive California..

Ross

That was how I felt too, the first time I saw that on vacation in Spain. I was gabbing with one of the waiters and he said that they did it that way, because it eliminated the arguing between the servers over who got the "good tables".

I also always tip bartenders at parties with an "open bar." I also leave a tip based on the full price when I go to a restaurant on a Groupon coupon (if I get good service). I tip the Sonic "runners," too.

CD

Back
Top Bottom