Looking for suggestions on local food around US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffalo, NY - Original Anchor Bar chicken wings

New Mexico - Hatch peppers

San Francisco, California - Cioppino, sourdough bread

Oxnard, California - Strawberries

Los Angeles, California - Ptomaine Tommy's Chili Size

Last edited:
I live in Minnesota, but grew up in Wisconsin. So here are some regional Wisconsin foods (pretty much statewide) that I recall from my youth:

Bratwurst
Polish Sausages
Sauerkraut
Beer Cheese Soup (with popcorn "croutons" - yum)
Tater Tot Casserole
Cornish Pasties

Also popular, but not necessarily regional, were a lot of eastern European type foods like Pierogis and stuffed cabbage rolls.

why are so many polish foods mentioned as regional u.s.?

lol, i'll avoid the obvious joke.

and i won't mention it was polish immigrants who came up with city chicken... (eastern poland was part of germany back then).

i'm kidding! relax. i married a pole, so i get to make fun.

ok, picking a regional nyc dish would be tough, but i'd have to say that an open faced reuben samdwich would be quintessential nyc.

and a taylor ham (taylor brand pork roll), fried egg, and cheese on a hard roll or bagel would be true jersey.

Last edited:
South Dakota:

A real meat & potatoes kind of place.
Buffalo burgers
Venison around deer hunting time.
Chislic ( Deep fried or charbroiled lamb cubes)
Rocky Mountain Oysters (Bull testicles deep fryed)
Black Angus Steaks

Lancaster/Philly

Cheesesteak (though this should be obvious).
Whoopie pies (chocolate cake buns with cream filling).
Chicken pot pie.
Chicken corn chowder.
Shoo fly pie.

Hawaii: Anything Asian (look in little Mom & Pop places in strip malls where no one uses a fork), anything fresh ocean fish. Saimin (or any noodle shop), Poke, Lomilomi, huli huli chicken or pork, kalua pork, chicken long rice. Portuguese bean soup, Big Island beef. Anything with Portuguese sausage. Chili Rice.

Florida: Rock shrimp, anything Cuban

Illinois: Italian roast beef sandwich and of course Chicago Pizza

Anywhere in the southwest: Anything Mexican. It will vary some from state to state, as with most of the U.S., everyone has their own twist. Look for little places in strip malls where no one speaks English

New England: Boiled dinners, shellfish of all sorts

Virginia: Hams, but also most smoked meats and anything pork

Iowa: Anything pork, especially tenderloin sandwiches

California: Santa Barbara Barbecue (grilled tri-tips with pinquinto beans)

Last edited:
Iowa, home of the Maidrite! A loose meat sandwich, which Roseanne Barr also talked about, and had a version of it on her sitcom.

where i live in southern california, sea food is the most representative. good stuff in san diego. some a bit pricey. but a little place near me" fish house vera cruise "is the best.fish in case in lobby, take your choice. my spelling is off on the name but it is yummy.

I once teased a southern friend (Alabama) about eating Pepsi 'co and moon pie for breakfast. She started to get offended, then looked ant me and cracked up. We laughed for ages over that. "It was Co'co and a moon pie, and it was a huge treat when my grandma let us have it!"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom