MN - Minnesota eateries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
If one's travels bring the to Minnesota, it usually constitutes going through the Twin Cities area (unless you are following I 90). From the standpoint of places to eat that are Minnesota exclusive, I don't know of many. Of those I know, the highest category they would all in to is classy/dressy casual. My all time favorite is Timberlodge Steakhouse. Used to be called Minnesota Steakhouse, but they are planning on expanding outside of Minnesota.

The Timberlodge Steakhouse runs with the theme of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. Everything is served in very hearty portions. The eating utensils are oversized as well. The atmosphere is very mellow and arguably romantic. The lighting is usually somewhat dim. Pricing is fairly reasonable. Most steaks are in the $15 to 20 range, with some higher and lower. Mrs. Big Dog and I usually wind up spending $50 for both of us, tip included (no adult beverages). These restaurants are readily found throughout the Twin Cities area, so if ther ewas interest to stop little more then general information RE: your route would be needed to locate the closest, most convenient location.

There are finer dining establishments, but frankly I have never been to them because I can't afford them.

If you go to the Mall of America, there are countless eating establishments there, but I do not think any of them are Minnesota exclusive. Well, except the Twin City Grill. Haven't been there, but have a gift card to go. From the looks of it, the restaurant is a step up from the Timberlodge, but classy casual is still reasonable dress.

Before I stopped going out I used to love Twin City Grill, which was the only normal eating establishment in the Mall. There is a wonderful steak house in downtown Minneapolis, Many’s. It is not cheap; also, there is Lindy’s that has 3 things on the menu: steak, steak and steak. It is an interesting experience and steak is by far the best one I ever had or at least somewhere up there. Also expensive. There is café Latte on Grand it is a must if you are in S.Paul. Byerly’s, our famous carpeted grocery store has wonderful soups and all you can eat fish fry on Fridays, it is really good. If you are in Eagan and are hungry for Chinese there is China Buffet, excellent place. The info though reliable is a bit old, I haven’t been in any of these places for a while now.

I know about Manny's down town. Still costs precious body parts to eat there. Lindy's . . . . are you meaning the place off of Snelling and 51, not far from Bethel University? Been by there, but never eaten there. Looks good, though.

If you're not looking for Minnesota exclusive fare, and are coming in on 94 fomr the 'Sconsin side, The Machine Shed is just off the Radio Drive exit. On the (north)west side of the Twin Cities there is a Cracker Barrel, as well as one just south of the 35E/W merge in Lakeville (about 5 minutes from my house).

jennyema said:
Mayslacks is SO going on my list to visit next time I am there!!!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
When Stan was the owner, there was a huge "Nobody Beats Stan's Meat" sign and the waitresses were all comedians. He's passed on, but try the garlic beef sandwich - it is still awesome!

I'm really wanting to make it up there someday. My wife's cousin lives up there. The town escapes me at the moment. I'll check, and get back on it.

The one I really miss is Charlie's Cafe Exceptionale - some of the best meals I've had anywhere before he went to the great restaurant in the sky.

:cool: Our favorite Mexican place is Monterray in the Northway Shopping Center in Lexington, MN. Take 35W North to Lake Drive. At the first stop light, turn right into the shopping center.

The food is authenic tasting. I have never had a dish I didn't like. They serve a garlic sauce with the chips that is tangy, garlicky, spicy and stumps my tastebuds.

I used to go to Charlie's for lunch at least once a week. Heavenly, but alas, gone these 25 years. Also, I remember when Lindey's EXPENSIVE steak was $5.95.

Nowdays, when we come through the Twin Cities, we try to stop at Nancy's Landing, in Waconia. Right on the lake, and run by an expatriate French chef. Wonderful food, especially the Sunday Brunch!

Charlie's and the pate, and that beautiful mahogony bar is :(gone, but Murray's is still there. So many excellent restaurants in Minneapolis, but Murray's tops my list for steak, garlic toast, and . . . memories. :wub:

Dakota

Hey, do you Minnesota folks know of any good places to eat in Red Wing?

One of the prettiest little towns I have ever been in, and I would like to go back there some day and stay instead of just breezing through.

Two years ago, I enjoyed an excellent tenderloin at the Staghead Restaurant in Red Wing. Great dining experience, wish I lived closer.

Dakota

Back
Top Bottom