NY - New York City (NYC) ... ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara

Senior Cook
I'm leaving with DH thursday for New York. I have read previous threads on New York, but would love some input. Just made reservations for Chez Josephine's for our theater night (Jersey Boys) I'm looking for a good place around our hotel the night we arrive - we are staying at the Peninsula on 5th & 55th. We will go to Rainbow Room for a drink and then where??

Thanks.

i love that show, jeekinz.

barbara, more info needed. what room are you staying in... just kidding - don't answer that. :cool:

but seriously, whaddya lookin' for, lady? (just getting you in the spirit of things)

places to eat, late night watering holes, etc.; or things to do, both local to your hotel or citywide?

One of my favorite places in NYC is La Bonne Soupe.

On 55th between 5th and 6th, so right by you.

Wonderful French bistro with excellent people watching. Lots of foodies eat there. I sat next to Kitty Carlisle once and Jeffrey Steingarten winked at me while I was reading one of his books!

Go there for lunch or dinner if you can.

La Bonne Soupe

FYI. I took the LOML to Mesa Grill for her b-day last year. Just stop in for a cocktail. The food was nothing to write home about.

Negril on W 23rd between 8th and 9th has the best Jamaican food around. Delta Grill on 9th @49th has the best cajun! Katz's deli down by Rivington is the best deli around. Dallas BBQ on the corner of w23rd @7th is a great bbq joint with huge margarittas. Rispoli's on 7th @ 22nd is a very good Italian Bistro.
Now, if you want fine dining I suggest L'Imperos at Tudor City or One if By Land in the village.
Enjoy!!

CharlieD said:
Carnige Deli, would be my choice

+1

Rosa mexicana

tavern on the Green

Peter Lugers

Any of the lil indian restaurants on the lower est side, I LOVE Pani 2

Greys Papya

Papya King

There are really too many options, you could spend your whole life there and not eat at the same place twice.

Thanks everyone, as to more information I know I was in a hurry this morning. We love Italian, French and willing to try just about anything. have enjoyed Chez Josephine's atmosphere and food has been hit and miss for us. We're going there before the theater. Would like to experience some nice lunches not at tourist places. Don't care about celebrity's. Also, ate at San Pietro and had good food - on East 54th.

Never been to Cloisters - should we
Love the Frick (small museum)
Thought Tavern on the Green was a tourist trap
Rue 57 - good spot for lunch

Heard Vong's was fabulous - ???? anyone been?

I know I'm rambling. Oh yea I have heard The Green Market at Union Square is good.

City wide interested not just hotel area.

Last edited:
One if By Land is great. Peter Lugar's is good if you want steak.

Vong is supposed to be lovely, but it's very $$. I've been to GGV's restaurant in London and it was excellent.

Aquavit, and Artisanal come to mind. Brunch at Balthazar in SoHo is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Still, La Bonne Soupe is right there for you.

If you are in Chinatown, have soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai.

The Union Square greenmarket is fun. MWF and S. It's better in spring and summer when there is more produce, but still is fun any time. Go early and you might see chefs choosing produce for their restaurants.

Other foodie sites: Zabar's, Fairway, Dean and DeLuca, Citarella, Broadway Panhandler, Bridge Kitchenware, restaurant supply places near Chinatown.

barbara, the west side is my side of town. :cool:

if you liked rue 57, continue west on 57th street, just past 8th ave to "le biarritz". lots of coworkers frequent the place, and i've never heard a bad review.

right next door is one of my old watering holes, "kennedy's". good pints of guinness and magners. and good craic. just up the block is d.j. reynolds; a somewhat rowdier place.

or go to the next light, chuck a left down 9th, and on the next block on left is "thai basil". it's a hole in the wall, but the food is deelish.

right across the street, corner 56th street is "puttanesca". dw's favourite italian place in all of the city. be sure to order the bufala mozzarella.

now, looking down 9th, for the next 25 blocks are restaurants of every description, from every corner of the globe.

if you want diner type quirky food, head uptown to 77th and broadway, past lincoln center and across from the beacon theatre, to "big nick's burger and pizza joints". another hole in the wall, but great food. a weird combination of greek, american, and health food.

if you're craving late night chinese or japanese ('till 2am), go to empire schzechuan kyoto on 69th and columbus.

Last edited:
Barbara said:
I'm leaving with DH thursday for New York. I have read previous threads on New York, but would love some input. Just made reservations for Chez Josephine's for our theater night (Jersey Boys) I'm looking for a good place around our hotel the night we arrive - we are staying at the Peninsula on 5th & 55th. We will go to Rainbow Room for a drink and then where??

Thanks.
You'll be around the corner from one of my most favorite places anywhere... Beacon... is at 25 West 56th Street, just west of 5th Avenue. The food is superb... and so is the service. They feature a wood-fired oven and so many dishes are roasted in that oven... Be sure to tell Waldy that I said hello... He's just super! and on Sunday nights, you can bring your own wine for NO corkage fee! :)

be sure to check out Balducci's on west 66th. I LOVE the cheese selection, and I know there are other locations on the east coast, but the one in Manhattan just feels "right".

Love Juice on Bleeker is good for inexpensive smoothies

Monks Brew pub, at 43rd east 7th is great offering one of the largest selections I have ever seen.

TATTRAT said:
be sure to check out Balducci's on west 66th. I LOVE the cheese selection, and I know there are other locations on the east coast, but the one in Manhattan just feels "right".
Balducci's is an imposter! Theres not an Italian within 20 miles of the place. The family sold it to sutton Place Gourmet quite a few years ago, and THEY had the audacity to abandon the original location.... As far as I'm concerned, it's just another gourmet store. Nothing special at all. If you want agreat Italian deli, go to the Upper East Side to Agata & Valentino.

TATTRAT said:
well darn, that is the pits! I haven't been there in about 5 or 6 years so I had no idea, what a shame.
Yes, it really is a shame. and I (and a whole lot of other folks) wish the Sutton folks had chosem another name. Lots of visitors think they've got the real thing, and it's not even a good copy! :ohmy: But if you've never been to DiPalo's in Little Italy, you'd love that! :)

Back
Top Bottom