NY - New York City ... Pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thyme2Cook

Cook
I plan on taking a trip to New York City in the spring and I was hoping someone on this forum could tell me what are some of the top spots there for pizza. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I grew up there, and really compared to here in MN, I don't think you can find a bad slice of pie! they all know how to makea good one or they sink!

Yeah, that's kind of liking asking where to get good gumbo in N'awlins or good barbeque in Memphis.

Agree with all, just about any place in Manhattan you can't go wrong. You can get a great big slice for cheap too at some places.

Upper West Side

If you're on the Upper West side, there's a place at Amsterdam and 73rd that I've eaten at several times, and family members have eaten at many times, I'm sorry I can't tell you the name of the place. :chef: The street corner there is dedicated to a fireman I once knew.

Like the folks said, any place is likely to be good. It's like Mexican food down here, if they aren't any good they won't stay in business.:cool:

Thanks for the input. At least I'm learning about the quality of pizza in New York City and that it will easy to find a good pizza place.

I had my first pizza in NYC, grew up there. And I consider most NYC pizzas as better than any I have had elsewhere. South Boston pizza come close.

There are folks who don't prefer NY pizza.. I consider them subversives - folks whose palates I would not trust to tell a bad clam.

But the Chicago folks, where I lived for a span, love their deep dish pizza. It is OK, a decent product, and I suppose technically it is a pizza.

But no, we are NYC pizza folks, hard znd true. Go to a bigger place in the city and you will get a chance to try what right now I miss very much.

Have a great time.

I had my first pizza in NYC, grew up there. And I consider most NYC pizzas as better than any I have had elsewhere. South Boston pizza come close.

There are folks who don't prefer NY pizza.. I consider them subversives - folks whose palates I would not trust to tell a bad clam.

But the Chicago folks, where I lived for a span, love their deep dish pizza. It is OK, a decent product, and I suppose technically it is a pizza.

But no, we are NYC pizza folks, hard znd true. Go to a bigger place in the city and you will get a chance to try what right now I miss very much.

Have a great time.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

I agree with the others that say that most pizza in NY is excellent. There is a place called John's, at least I think that is the name. My memory could be faulty though. Anyway, a lot of people say their pizza is one of the better ones in the city. If you just chance it and go into the place closest to you though then you have a very high chance of getting a great pizza.

Lombardi's on Spring Street....it's the city's oldest pizzeria. The meatball with ricotta cheese is a particular favourite.

Lombardi's on Spring Street....it's the city's oldest pizzeria. The meatball with ricotta cheese is a particular favourite.

Well, coincidentally, on my very first trip to NYC this past December (to see one of the last tapings of Emeril Live, BTW, Thyme), my friends and I took a cab to Little Italy for a pizza at Lombardi's.

This is my friend, Babs, in front of a 4-cheese pizza. Crust was a little burnt and I was disappointed in that, but otherwise, it was good. Not OH MY GOD - THE BEST I'VE EVER HAD, but very good.

I'm used to great pizzas - in Boston and it's suburbs, we have pizza and sub shops on every corner. I have the best ones on speed-dial.

Lee

Well, coincidentally, on my very first trip to NYC this past December (to see one of the last tapings of Emeril Live, BTW, Thyme), my friends and I took a cab to Little Italy for a pizza at Lombardi's.

This is my friend, Babs, in front of a 4-cheese pizza. Crust was a little burnt and I was disappointed in that, but otherwise, it was good. Not OH MY GOD - THE BEST I'VE EVER HAD, but very good.

I'm used to great pizzas - in Boston and it's suburbs, we have pizza and sub shops on every corner. I have the best ones on speed-dial.

Lee

Wow! Great picture and story. Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

There is a John's in the village and one uptown somewhere. I've been many times and it's good, but not worth a special trip. If you are in the village it would be a good choice for a sit-down pizza.

It's rare to find bad pizza in a pizza joint in NYC, I have found.

One of my favorite places is Stromboli's, also in the village, near NYU

pugger, amsterdam and 73rd?

i'll take a ride by there tonight on my way home to see what it's called. thanks for the tip.

i often go to big nick's on 77th and broadway, but not for pizza. theirs is too oily for my tastes.

and i agree with everyone; even the average places in nyc are better than most of the country.

although, i have to say that pizzatown u.s.a. in elmwood park, n.j. is as good or better than lombardi's.

pugger, i just drove past 73rd and amsterdam, and there's no pizza place. there's a steak and chop house on one corner, and a subway station, bank, and retail store on the other 3.

there was a place on 74th-75th-ish, on amsterdam. is that the one?

There's a brew pub on the corner of 75th or 76th and Amsterdam -- across the street (on same side as the funeral home) there is a bar we used to play a lot of "Golden Tee" golf at. I think there is a pizza place by that bar. But then again, we were drinking ....:wacko:

That's It

That's it BuckyTom. Sorry it's been a few years now since I've eaten there. :)

ok, thanks for the tip again, pugger. i'll have to check it out. i'm always looking for good pizza.

i'm on 5th and 59th today. jenny, any good pizza joints near central park south?

Well I have never been to NYC and I am sure it would be too late to add anything anyway if I had something to offer.
But I did have a question for all these New Yorkers that responded here: Has anyone ever had the pizzas from the coal ovens and is it really that big a deal?

Back
Top Bottom