PA - Lancaster County - Amish Country?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jkath said:
I want to go to Pennsylvania now! vagriller & designerobsessed, enjoy your trips!

I will, and I need to remember to take pics and post them in this thread. Only 2 weeks away!

I just got back from lancaster.I can recommend the best western eden(great pool but can be noisy} and the new courtyard by marriot. both are slightly north of amish proper about 5 minutes away if you continue up route 30. very clean. We prefer outskirts where its quieter. This time we stayed atthe hampton inn in ephrata,off rt222.about a pleasant 20 minute ride away from the attractions. My boys are 10 and 12 and are a little old for the dutch wonderland park,etc. so we also shop in reading,etc. The hampton inn is really new overlooking a pretty valley in one of the quaintest little towns.it has a small pool and workout room, good free breakfast, homebaked cookies at the desk in the afternoons.If you tire of amish fare try little nickies in ephrata for authentic home-recipe italian favorites. the pizza is excellent, the antipasto salad is huge for 6.50 and my veal scallopine in wine sauce was marvelous. im always in the amish country so i can say this was a real find. happy travels!

Yes, that corn was great - & I've never been a real fan of creamed corn. While this was creamed, it had more texture & was definitely "cornier". Thanks for the Cope's info re: the corn.

vagriller, are you going to see "thomas the tank engine"?

we're going in 2 weeks, probably midweek. depends on when we can get tickets. the connecticut show was sold out months before.

claire, i'm gonna try to see if i can find that train car motel. thanks for the tip.

and thanks also to corinne and everyone else for all of the good info.

buckytom said:

we're going in 2 weeks, probably midweek. depends on when we can get tickets. the connecticut show was sold out months before.

claire, i'm gonna try to see if i can find that train car motel. thanks for the tip.

and thanks also to corinne and everyone else for all of the good info.

Here's the website BT-I'm sure Ryan will love it!!
http://redcaboosemotel.com/

There also used to be a great farmers' market in I think it was Bird-in-hand or something like that. Don't know if it is still there. Big warehouse type building with booths inside, mostly Amish or Mennonite vendors. Best produce I've ever seen -- heads of cabbage and cauliflower that look like they should be centerpieces on the table, and various pickles, preserves, and other "canned" goods in mason jars that you'd almost hate to open, they were so pretty with their jewel tone colors. I also regret to this day that I didn't buy at least one cedar chest. I do have a friend who collects dolls and did have the presence of mind to buy her a couple of "face-less" Amish dolls.

when I was younger ( not that long ago ) haha Ok so it was--- We went there alot. We use to camp and I think it was called Millers campground it was next to an amish farm and we would look forward to them wheeling their wagon over to sell their goods in the evening. It was near an amusment park in Dutch country. We also went to a place where we would watch them cook and you could purchase their goods. Chow chow - breads etc. Ahhh the memories. One memory was thier homemade root beer. A memory a family of 8 kids won't forget. Traveling back to Central New York and not finding enough bathrooms along the way. Lets just say bushes along the road were a good thing!

buckytom said:

bucky,
We are leaving on Friday Sept 15 and coming back Tuesday, Sept 19. Does that coincide with your trip? Wouldn't that be funny to meet up with a DCer in Lancaster?:chef:

Also we are going to the day out with Thomas. This is probably the last year we would have an opportunity to do this with my son.

vagriller, i guess your son is getting embarrassed at how you jump out of the car and run to the train, pushing other excited dads out of the way. :)

this is going to be our first year seeing thomas. i think we're going around the 23rd or so. making the reservations tonight.

and thanks vickiq! i'm going to see if the have any cars left. i doubt it considering the event, but thanks very much for the info all the same. :)

img_318019_0_0ea57d0cb072f4686353958a6963498d.jpg

CAN'T STOP HERE, AMISH COUNTRY!:)

lol tatt, that's one car ride i would have loved to have been in the backseat!
or the trunk.

buckytom said:
vagriller, i guess your son is getting embarrassed at how you jump out of the car and run to the train, pushing other excited dads out of the way. :)

this is going to be our first year seeing thomas. i think we're going around the 23rd or so. making the reservations tonight.

bucky,
That's funny! I thought rooms would be cheaper around that area. I guess when you want a suite you pay more.

BreezyCooking said:
Yes, that corn was great - & I've never been a real fan of creamed corn. While this was creamed, it had more texture & was definitely "cornier". Thanks for the Cope's info re: the corn.

You need to make "creamed" or stewed corn from fresh corn. It is an entirely different "animal". I freeze quarts of it every summer for the winter.

buckytom said:

You may be lucky to get them this late, even mid-week.

Gretchen said:
You may be lucky to get them this late, even mid-week.

Yes I agree. When we were looking at tickets a month ago they were selling out fast. But we were looking on the weekend. Definitely get your Thomas tickets immediately!

The Eden Resort is very nice - they have regular hotel rooms & then suites that are like condos. 2 stories tall with high ceilings - full kitchen. Jacuzzi in the upstairs bedroom.

Bube's Brewery? The locals are not real thrilled with the place anymore. If you are looking for a micro-brewery, go downtown: to L.B.C.
http://www.lancasterbrewing.com/

Markets - they're all over the place on the weekends. The original one is downtown - in the square. http://server1.fandm.edu/departments/tdf/MarketSite/FSet.html

Get off the beaten path in the Eastern end to find farm stands at Amish farms. Best corn, etc. that you will ever find at a price you won't believe! (Strasburg is at the Eastern end.)

A couple places I will go when I'm down there again:

http://www.intercoursecanning.com/ I spent a pile of money there in the Spring.

http://www.shady-maple.com/ Great market & smorgasbord.

http://www.ameliasgroceryoutlet.com/ Food stuff cheap, cheap, cheap!

Back
Top Bottom